“not safe for women”

I can recall a couple of times in recent years when it has been reported that a woman has escaped from/been released by her attacker only to be attacked again by a stranger she approached for help. What is wrong with people?
I had noticed that too, but didn't post on here about it because the victims were minors.

A story linked from the article details the rash of acid attacks in the UK. 400+ this year alone.

I understand the not all men argument. I know good men, I love a good man. But until all men speak out against violence toward women it's an all men issue.
:(
The increase in acid attacks in the UK is mostly due to gang related violence. They are targeting each other rather than women who have rejected their advances. The motives are often different to the acid attacks against women in India and Pakistan, though that kind of thing definitely has happened here as well. I think it is partly due to the limited availability of guns.

D

deleted924715

I had noticed that too, but didn't post on here about it because the victims were minors.

It's bad enough that there are rapists trawling the streets, going out looking for victims with that intent. That is frightening enough, to cross the path of just one them. I think the odds of bumping into three prowling rapists within an hour must be astronomically high... but that means, what? The other two were opportunists? Ugh. That's not better, in fact its more scary.

Reactions: 950483
D

deleted924715

The increase in acid attacks in the UK is mostly due to gang related violence. They are targeting each other rather than women who have rejected their advances. The motives are often different to the acid attacks against women in India and Pakistan, though that kind of thing definitely has happened here as well. I think it is partly due to the limited availability of guns.

And because it can be disguised in a stop and search/metal detector situation, unlike a knife (which, for non-UKers, you can go to prison for carrying)

It's bad enough that there are rapists trawling the streets, going out looking for victims with that intent. That is frightening enough, to cross the path of just one them. I think the odds of bumping into three prowling rapists within an hour must be astronomically high... but that means, what? The other two were opportunists? Ugh. That's not better, in fact its more scary.
I've seen men that I strongly suspected were out looking for vulnerable prey. They were wandering around completely sober whilst everyone else was getting ridiculously drunk at the weekend. All I could do was try to warn people. I couldn't tell the police because they hadn't actually done anything illegal.

Reactions: deleted924715
D

deleted924715

I've seen men that I strongly suspected were out looking for vulnerable prey. They were wandering around completely sober whilst everyone else was getting ridiculously drunk at the weekend. All I could do was try to warn people. I couldn't tell the police because they hadn't actually done anything illegal.

How many times must someone have gotten away with it to be that brazen, given the amount of CCTV around now?

How many times must someone have gotten away with it to be that brazen, given the amount of CCTV around now?
They were new to the area. Maybe cctv isn't much of a thing in the middle east. Maybe rape isn't either.
Lots of people are going to think I'm racist for saying that. I'm sure some thought that at the time. Other male Muslim immigrants in my town would not have anything to do with those sinister fuckers though, and would refuse to serve them in the takeaway.

D

deleted924715

They were new to the area. Maybe cctv isn't much of a thing in the middle east. Maybe rape isn't either.
Lots of people are going to think I'm racist for saying that. I'm sure some thought that at the time. Other male Muslim immigrants in my town would not have anything to do with those sinister fuckers though, and would refuse to serve them in the takeaway.

Ah. The thing we're not supposed to talk about.

Fencepost

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I feel the same, even as I look at tasers/pepper spray/etc.
Ma'am, you live in a violent society. Protect yourself. Be wise, and get self defense training (not necessarily the same as martial arts). Good training will run you through a variety of scenarios, to teach you appropriate reactions. Do not fall prey to the idea that we as a society SHOULD not have to do this. You MUST protect yourself, for the simple reason that you are worthy of protection.

MisterB

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hi folks--I just had to weigh in with a personal anecdote. Sorry in advance of the lengthy post.

I've got a third grader in my house now. I'm her uncle, but not by blood. That's a story for another time.

My third grader is fearless, confident, smart, empathetic, considerate, sometimes outgoing/sometimes shy; I think you get the picture. We keep her busy. She's getting great grades; she's taking weekly ballet lessons. She's participates in after-school activities too.

Here's the point I wanted to make with this post. We also put her into weekly Karate class. She's been going for three months now. She really likes it. She's received her first belt and two stripes. She will continue as long as she wants, and understands that this skill is for her defense, if necessary. She gets it.

She understands so well that when bullied by a young boy in her class on the playground, she tried to walk away, but when continually pursued, did not back down. She defended herself, and she was not the one crying after said altercation.

After the meeting in the principal's office with her mother and the child's mother, she's not the one who was reprimanded, as their teacher witnessed the entire altercation, and related that in the meeting.

When telling me about this particular event, she was apologetic and felt bad; meanwhile, I was grinning from ear-to-ear and proud as a peacock. On the inside, of course...lol.

I see my job as her "uncle" as one to empower her, and encourage her pursuit of whatever it is that floats her boat. Right now that's Legos and Barbies.

She may grow up to be a Doctor or a Vet or an Engineer. Regardless of the career path she chooses, I'll make sure she gets the education she needs, and, at the same time, will always be able to defend herself. It's absolutely critical in today's world. Period.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Ma'am, you live in a violent society. Protect yourself. Be wise, and get self defense training (not necessarily the same as martial arts). Good training will run you through a variety of scenarios, to teach you appropriate reactions. Do not fall prey to the idea that we as a society SHOULD not have to do this. You MUST protect yourself, for the simple reason that you are worthy of protection.

I’m well aware of how violent my society is. I just passed the 28th anniversary of being beaten and left for dead because of my religion/ethnicity.
Thing is, in that situation, Little could have helped me. Police think, but do not know, there were two assailants. I still have only flashes of memory from that night.
The injuries I live with, contrasted to those that healed, suggest the same.

Fencepost

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I’m well aware of how violent my society is. I just passed the 28th anniversary of being beaten and left for dead because of my religion/ethnicity.
Thing is, in that situation, Little could have helped me. Police think, but do not know, there were two assailants. I still have only flashes of memory from that night.
The injuries I live with, contrasted to those that healed, suggest the same.
You are profoundly courageous. I understand you were helpless then. I hope you take precautions now. God luck!

Reactions: AlteredEgo