A Completely Unofficial SIZE FAQ

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
You don’t have to have been a member of LPSG very long to have seen a lot of “What is Large?” questions and variations. These are legitimate concerns, especially around here, and apparently a lot of people really don’t know but these questions get asked with such frequency, especially by newbies, that I have embarked on creating a completely unofficial and unauthorized FAQ on the subject of penis size. This way there will be a place to refer new posters when they again ask, “Am I big?” or seek to start another round of guessing their dimensions.

This is a very short, down-and-dirty version. This is just the stuff you need to know:

Length: The average size of the erect human penis is 5.3 inches. (13.5 centimeters). Roughly 75% of men are within 2 centimeters (a bit less than an inch) more or less of that measurement. So, if you are between 4.5 inches and six inches in length, (11 to 15 centimeters) you are pretty much average. Above or below average is anything that lies outside those parameters.

Girth: The circumference of the average erect penis is less well documented than length. Best estimates put the average at about 5 inches (12.6 centimeters) in circumference, but the studies are fewer and less reliable. 4.75 inches to 5.25 inches (11 to 13.5 centimeters) seems to be the “average” range.

Volume: Total penis size is a combination of both length and girth. This is often called “penis volume.” (To help visualize this point: A roll of Mentos and an average soft drink can are both 5.5 inches in length, but they are of really different sizes, because their circumference is so different. Even if the Mentos roll was twice as long, it would still be smaller than the soda can in total volume.)

Monica Lewinski’s notorious description of Bill Clinton’s erection as being about the size of a roll of U.S. quarters turns out to be a pretty decent visualization of the average human penis. (Sorry that I don’t have a ready comparison for world readers, but perhaps some of you can help supply appropriate equivalents of everyday objects that are not so Americentric.) The typical joke comparisons to bananas are, well, extremely optimistic.

Flaccid: There is not only no steady relationship between the size of men’s flaccid penises and their erections, but there is no reliable average “flaccid” size for most men. We all tend to experience a great deal of variation from hour to hour, ranging from “frozen shrinkage” to “sporting a semi.” Some men (often called growers) can experience huge variation with their penises tripling or even quadrupling in length from the smallest flaccid state to full erection. Others (labeled “show-ers”) experience little change. It just stands up. Unfortunately, then, almost all talk about flaccid size is basically unhelpful. No real conclusions can be drawn except that if you see someone who is larger flaccid than you are hard, then he has a bigger dick.

Size ranges: Rounding off slightly for convenience, one inch (2.5 centimeter) increments seem to correspond with standard deviations from average. The vast majority of men, as noted above have penises plus-or-minus one inch of 5.3 inches.
Only one in 10 will exceed 6.5 inches (or for that matter, be smaller than 4.3 inches.)
Only one in 100 will exceed 7.5 inches (or be smaller than 3.3 inches).
Only one in 1000 exceeds 8.5 inches.
Only one in 10,000 exceeds 9.5 inches.
Only one in 100,000 exceeds 10.5 inches.
Only one in 1,000,000 exceeds 11.5 inches
A penis that exceeds twelve and half inches is a one in 10,000,000 rarity.

I may add more here from time to time, as I am sure will others, but with just this much information in hand you can quickly figure out for yourself where you stand. More detail can be found on Wikipedia under “Human Penis Size.”

I heard that average was bigger: The famous Kinsey study released in 1948 placed the average length of an erection at 6.2 inches (16 centimeters), and because this was the first important study this information has long been cited as definitive. Over time and with more studies, however, even the Kinsey institute has averaged downward to the current best estimate of 5.3 inches. There are many studies out there with conflicting results, but it can be clearly seen that studies in which participants measured themselves and reported their results always average longer than those in which staff members take the measurements. Studies which have all volunteer pools also invariably average longer than ones in which there is random selection process or, in the case of several military studies, where the participation was compelled. (Not surprisingly, guys with bigger dicks are more likely to volunteer for size studies than men with small ones.) Estimates of average lengths exceeding 6 inches can pretty clearly be shown to be the result of unrepresentative pools, or unreliable self-measurements by participants.

What about racial differences?: When penis size studies first began being issued immediately after WWII statistically significant but small, i.e. half-inch, differences were found between the average erect sizes of men of different races. However, overall body size studies at the same time also showed distinct differences between races that have tended to disappear over time as nutrition around the world has evened out and improved. Some sixty years on, the overall physical averages between races have greatly reduced in variation. (Better nutrition is generally held to be the reason, but better – that is, less racially biased – experimental methodology may also account for this difference.) Newer studies suggest that if there ever was a real difference, penis size has now also evened out. Studies are conflicting in this regard, but the older the study the more likely it is to find significant racial differences. Despite the persistence of the rumors, and they pop up here at LPSG repeatedly, there is no evidence that size difference is racial rather than individual. (A word of advice to newbies: Posting your anecdotal experience about racial differences is rarely well received.)

Does Size Matter?: As one of our members says in his signature line, “Size does matter, but not in the way you think.” We tend to strongly associate penis size with masculinity, virility, power, and sexual expertise, especially in photographs. None of those are necessarily true. Think of the analogy to height and its association with basketball. Being tall does not, alone, make you a basketball player, does not alone make you athletically talented, does not alone make you even interested in the game. There is a loose connection, but being a tall man myself, I know I get a lot of unearned credit for my ball playing skills (or those imagined about my past) that just has no factual basis. Likewise, at LPSG you will find men with all penis shapes and sizes. It won’t take you long to discover that some of the big-dicked men here are hyper-masculine and oversexed, but so are some small ones. (And some big members are not so masculine and undersexed.) Some of our giants find they are powerfully attractive to sexual partners without doing much to further that cause, but so are some of the average and small-endowed ones. (Some big guys are virgins or at least have trouble finding a date.) There are men here who are statistically way off the charts who love their endowments, but there are also men here (and you may find this hard to believe) who wish their penises were smaller. By and large, your dick is what it is. Look around and you will easily find information about making the most of what you have, and dealing with the reality of it whether it be abnormally outsized or perfectly average.

Just some final, simple advice: Don’t lie about your size. Don’t bother to brag about your size if you don’t post a gallery, even if its true, ‘cause no one will pay any attention. Don’t post a photoshopped picture, and don’t post a picture of someone else’s penis. We’ve seen it all. You get caught every time, and it serves no purpose. The members are perfectly respectful here of real penises of all shapes and sizes. And they are ruthlessly cruel to the liars and fakes.

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Pecker said:
I think the internet measuring parameters should be changed thusly:

1. Big
2. Bigger
Pecker, it is too early in this thread to introduce the newbies to internet measurement which, as we both know is e-metric, and where one internet centimeter is equal to an imperial inch. At this point we are both sworn to uphold the secret code of honor of the internet swordsmen until such time as the initiate can handle the the information contained in Da vINCHi code.

jonadkins

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
This ought to be easily available on the homepage. It would hopefully eliminate a lot of the "Am I big?" posts.

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
Thanks, fellas. I appreciate the affirmation. Jon Jon, Is6.5big, glad to make your acquaintance.

Jonadkins: Even if it is not posted prominently, until something better comes along, I encourage directing "Am I Big?" questioners to this thread. It will help establish the precedent for a size FAQ and take some of the frustration out of dealing with this issue.

Rubi, so glad to hear from you. You know how much I value your respect. Thanks for your continual thoughtfulness.

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I would love to see one of the Mods pin this to the top as a sticky for awhile. It seems to cover most of the topics that I am almost sick of seeing. If you could just include a response for “please rate/praise my picture” I would be eternally grateful.:wink:

D_alex8

Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
dolf250 said:
If you could just include a response for “please rate/praise my picture” I would be eternally grateful.:wink:
I don't see why there isn't scope for adding some comments in a short FAQ paragraph on how needy/insecure such threads make posters appear, and how they may wish to instead simply place images of themselves in the gallery, where people may comment on them if they wish to, and in that sense offer an altogether more meaningful form of validation to the poster, due to the fact that any such comments will be spontaneous in nature, rather than 'labored' attempts to soothe an insecure OP.

If this thread turned into a "brainstorm" from various posters, who wanted to offer up their own suggestions for FAQ content to be added to Doc's already impressive opening post, then I would hope that the moderating team and/or Rob_E might see the wisdom of 'stickying' a resultant composite of these discussions as an official FAQ thread.

dolf250

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I really like your response Alex, it was well thought out and truthful. I did, however just run across another “rate my pictures” thread and went against my better judgment and read it. A poster named Art wrote:

“I don't rate pics. Ever. And I encourage everyone else to do likewise.

You're each a "10" in my book. And if you piss me off, you're a "1". “

I damn near fell of my chair laughing. I have never responded to a “rate my dick” thread, but think I will start and use that as my stock response (providing I gain permission so as not to infringe on any copyrights.)

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
alex8 said:
If this thread turned into a "brainstorm" from various posters, who wanted to offer up their own suggestions for FAQ content to be added to Doc's already impressive opening post, then I would hope that the moderating team and/or Rob_E might see the wisdom of 'stickying' a resultant composite of these discussions as an official FAQ thread.

I welcome the idea of brainstorming in this thread to produce the materials that might be edited into a sticky FAQ if this idea eventually catches the attention of the mods or Rob_E. Perhaps this would alleviate some of the pain Novice-btm was so frustrated about in another recent thread.

I would be hard pressed to advise pic posters any better than Alex already has in his post, but certainly welcome seeing that couple of sentences recast directly to them and appended to the advice already given to them in my first post about not faking pics, etc. (Thanks Alex8)

Wouldn't it be great to integrate new members into our community more smoothly by heading off some of the redundant, and occasionally racist, stuff that comes out of "Rate my pics," "Am I big," and "Are 'x' enthnicities better hung than others?":smile:

B_big dirigible

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Specific numbers need specific sources. Otherwise they're just more Internet mystery numbers. Aside from that a FAQ is a good idea, except that it won't end the "am I big" posts - those aren't really requests for information.

Lex

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
The Mod Team talked about creating a FAQ for each of the major sections of the board. As our numbers decreased and board coverage/spam/underaged members became more of an issue, we never got around to it.

I still hold it to be an excellent idea.

fortiesfun

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
big dirigible said:
Specific numbers need specific sources. Otherwise they're just more Internet mystery numbers.
I agree, actually. I set out to create something of a interpretive executive summary of Wikipedia's entry (cited) which I find informative and well sourced, but hard to sort for the first timer who wants basic information. If we were to develop some sort of FAQ for this site (as Alex and Lex have both concured in this thread is a good idea) then it might well take the form of a general, easily digestible entry with substantial documentation attached later. That is exactly what I propose we brainstorm here. (Just a reminder that it doesn't need to be my FAQ, which was an attempt at a stopgap, but could be a member driven collective effort under some sort of editorial leadership.

Aside from that a FAQ is a good idea, except that it won't end the "am I big" posts - those aren't really requests for information.
Glad you, too, think a FAQ is a good idea. Of course it won't end the posts. "Am I big?" is not the same question as "What is big?" BUT, no matter what question we are asked we might get in the habit of routinely sending the OP to a source where they can get objective information from us, or refer them to rate-a-rod for their ego gratification/insecurity repair, and shortcut the repetitiveness of our discussions.

rawbone8

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Great work fortiesfun! Thank you for posting this FAQ.

It will help raise the credibility of the site, and as BigDirigible says, with proper sources, reduce the useless debates somewhat.

emu

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
so in other words....my penis is small.

yay! i shall have to flaunt it more and slap people in the face with it

very sexy

E

jeff black

Expert Member
Media
emu said:
so in other words....my penis is small.

yay! i shall have to flaunt it more and slap people in the face with it

very sexy

E

* wonders how you cover a "cock-shaped" bruise on your cheek..*:rolleyes:

Well done, Fortiesfun. It was very detailed. I know know that I have a penis.
Thank you for all your hard work!

BigBen

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Greetings. I hope all are well. The original post has taken on the form of legitimate science when by using a few sample numbers at the beginning on "average" size, that can not be correlated scientifically amongst 3.5 Billion men on the planet, but were based on rather limited studies ranging from a couple of hundred to a couple of thousand geographic volunteers. The flaws are scientifically many...volunteers (different motivations for volunteering and just important NOT volunteering, e.g. anonimity, perceived too small, perceived too large, no time to do it, no interest, etc, etc, etc), geographically limited..that speaks for itself, small samples, and many samples were "self reported". Then the originator of the post, using completely arbitrary rational using a rounding number and a whole number system (any scientist in the world that invalidates the entire argument alone because Nature is not "round numbers" and does not fit in to increments of 10 (e.g. 100, 1000, 10K, 100K, etc). So the conclusions on large sizes, as well as the dubious "data" are all suspect. Plus, genetics, better and more nutritous diets, all have tended to increase body sizes in all parameters from height to shoe size to hand size to butt size...in the last two generations since the famous "Kinsey" study was done in the 50's...nearly half a century and two generations ago. Also Kinseys numbers were a small sample, geographically challenged, and largely self reported. So all the "valid" posting on size variances is pure junk science on the posting. I personally know I am not in in 10M or 100M or whatever number or so. And I have met too many others who are not either. And the number of other members here who have seen, now and then, but rarely, but still happened, someone in the 1 in 100K or 1M or so is too common for the numbers in the original post to hold.
Bottom line is that most junk science takes a few "facts" and manipulates it to fit their conclusions...and that is what this is. It might be the posters valid opinion....nothing wrong with that...we each can believe what we like (isn't life grand that way...lol), but it is still lacking in any facts on size correlations and any "facts" on averages are scientifically dated and very
challenged as to methodology and value.

But then we all can believe what we will can't we...no need for made up suppostions to influence us? LOL BTW, this is not an "attack" in any way on the author..just the posted "FAQ" as valid in its conclusions.

I hope everyone is well and safe and happy.
Ben