Any Other Former Gym-goers Struggling To Find Motivation To Workout At Home?

jutadawg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I really miss my gym. It’s open (for now) but I’m not comfortable going. Probably won’t be until spring or next summer.

I did well working out at home in the warmer weather. Warmup, weights or yoga or the rowing machine. But with the cold weather and teaching all day in our cold and drafty 100 year old house, I feel so cold and stiff by 3:00 that I just haven’t been working out.

Probably doesn’t help that we have a hormonal and pandemic-isolated 13 year old in the house who is requiring a lot of attention from me and my wife right now.

I know motivation is very personal, but I feel myself slipping into some depression-like moods, so I’ll take any suggestions you might have to offer.

TIA

LockerRoomBud

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Right there with you. I haven't been since March and I don't feel great about going back yet either. I've got some light dumbbells and I've been doing pushups and squats and stuff, and making myself do even a little bit of that each day has been helpful (even if it's just ten pushups before getting in the shower). But the motivation definitely isn't there, and seasonal depression isn't helping. And I'm aware of how my mood has changed without being able to be as active as I used to. So I get it, 100%.

As far as suggestions to fight that though, do you have warmer clothes to work out in during the colder months? Are you able to keep your body feeling limber throughout the day with movement and stretching, keeping you better prepared for an afternoon session? Is there maybe a way to get your family involved so you're all enjoying being active together?

I don't know your specific goals here, and I certainly can't offer any real answers because (as you know) it depends on you first. But maybe some of my ideas can help get you in the right direction.

b620096

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Right there with you. I haven't been since March and I don't feel great about going back yet either. I've got some light dumbbells and I've been doing pushups and squats and stuff, and making myself do even a little bit of that each day has been helpful (even if it's just ten pushups before getting in the shower). But the motivation definitely isn't there, and seasonal depression isn't helping. And I'm aware of how my mood has changed without being able to be as active as I used to. So I get it, 100%.

As far as suggestions to fight that though, do you have warmer clothes to work out in during the colder months? Are you able to keep your body feeling limber throughout the day with movement and stretching, keeping you better prepared for an afternoon session? Is there maybe a way to get your family involved so you're all enjoying being active together?

I don't know your specific goals here, and I certainly can't offer any real answers because (as you know) it depends on you first. But maybe some of my ideas can help get you in the right direction.

longstroke7

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
After a long lay-off due to the pandemic i ended up purchasing at home equipment. I was doing well but the motivation was up and down. I then ended up straining a muscle in my rib cage which took me out for most of November. I got the green light from my doctor to resume so now I am doing 5 days a week:

Saturday: Volume bench, supplemental biceps and triceps

Sunday: Heavy deadift, supplemental shoulders and back

Monday: Cardio

Tuesday: Rest

Wednesday: Heavy bench, supplemental biceps and triceps

Thursday: Volume deadlifts + romanian deadlifts and supplemental dumb bell exercises

Friday: Rest

Going to stick to this routine for a few weeks to get myself back where I was before the pandemic.

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm in Texas and everything is still open but with certain rules and restrictions in place. I've been able to continue going to the gym but we are to keep our masks on and equipment has been spaced out. Some of the cardio equipment that is lined close together has been marked off so that every other machine is operable. There is tons of sanitizer and paper towels at stations all over the gym and people are expected to clean their equipment down before and after use. Some of the amenities that were once available such as the jacuzzi, sauna, and pool are off limits but I do think that the pool can be reserved for use if you notify the club in advance. I definitely understand the lack of motivation when you have to workout at home with little or no equipment. You have to be creative and okay with doing the same exercises repetitively.

Reactions: Gj816 and jutadawg

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ugh.
Sorry, man.
When gyms were closed here, we had to do what many others did.... We found weights and other equipment & made do at home.
It's not the same. It would be close to impossible to make it the same.
The energy, the feel...

But, after thinking about what we did & what could make the experience better, here are a few ideas...
If you are lucky enough to have a dedicated space for your stuff, give it the look of a gym. Like back when you were a kid and worked out at home.
Set up music. Old school boom box, iPod, Alexa, whatever. Put together a playlist.
Give the space a look...
Posters, magazine articles, workout guides, motivational stuff, supplement companies you like, whatever...
Lastly, do your best to keep the area separate from the rest of your day. Try and keep it as it's own "thing" , so it feels like you're going to an area that's detached from your home life, even if it's only psychologically.

@Snarky_succubus wound up designing, building, and decorating her own deadlift platform.

If it's the social aspect that's still lacking for you, look around on the different social media platforms and find a group in a similar situation. (There should be plenty).

Join up. Share workouts. Set goals. Share progress pics.

Like I said, it's almost impossible to get an exact copy of the gym experience... But, you can get closer than you think if you try.

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

thickoneinLA

Superior Member
Media
Los Angeles, California, United States of America
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Ugh.
Sorry, man.
When gyms were closed here, we had to do what many others did.... We found weights and other equipment & made do at home.
The energy, the feel...

But, after thinking about what we did & what could make the experience better, here are a few ideas...
If you are lucky enough to have a dedicated space for your stuff, give it the look of a gym. Like back when you were a kid and worked out at home.
Set up music. Old school boom box, iPod, Alexa, whatever. Put together a playlist.
Give the space a look...
Posters, magazine articles, workout guides, motivational stuff, supplement companies you like, whatever...
Lastly, do your best to keep the area separate from the rest of your day. Try and keep it as it's own "thing" , so it feels like you're going to an area that's detached from your home life, even if it's only psychologically.

@Snarky_succubus wound up designing, building, and decorating her own deadlift platform.

If it's the social aspect that's still lacking for you, look around on the different social media platforms and find a group in a similar situation. (There should be plenty).

Like I said, it's almost impossible to get an exact copy of the gym experience... But, you can get closer than you think if you try.

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Great advice

jutadawg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

I appreciate the suggestions. I def need warmer workout clothes. Honestly, I worry about not adequately warming up when I do ten minutes of warm ups.

Started teaching while standing up. That’s helping me move more during my day.

Thanks for the encouragement. :)

jutadawg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Ugh.
Sorry, man.
The energy, the feel...

Give the space a look...

Hope this helps.
Good luck!

Thanks for the suggestions! I like the idea of putting some effort into creating a separate space, a more gym like space.

MilfBanger78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Our gyms are open but its like a 25 min drive. My old gym had to close down and was a 2 min drive lol. So now its like a 3 hr deal, sucks. Especially cuz its Planet and I know like 10 ppl there from FB so convos drag it out . But for $10 cant beat it, I just use it for back day really., Hindu squats at home, Tri's at home, Shoulders at home. Only working out 4 days a week and making gains, Mentzer/Dorian style on the compounds and Vince Gironda style on the isolation movements

Reactions: jutadawg and Gj816

ricd250584

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Montreal here, gyms here are closed and I find it hard to get motivated to work out at home, could be covid fatigue also, anyway just gotta try and keep pushing
I have limited equipment so I try to get creative

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Gyms are open here, but I can't seem to get motivated back ti where i was going 4 to 5 days a week. Perhaps it's because they were closed for so many months. I'm awake in the mornings simply can't get motivated to get out the door.

It's frustrating because i know i freak better and I've got a lot less stress even i ho workout regularly. It's really getting annoying. I've gained a few pounds too by not working out regularly.

Maybe it's because I've had to work through this whole pandemic. Or perhaps something else? Trying to get my head wrapped around the idea of getting back into ther gym.

ManTubeula

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
you can only start with day one.... once you get past maybe having to wait in line, the masks, the shut off fountains, the limited machines and limited locker space...the gym is the same as it ever was... You , the weights and whoever you want to be. After that first day, go the second... Fuck , you'll be sore like you haven't been in months, but damn it if you don't start to already feel that muscle memory. Those kinetic connections start firing..

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Gyms here are closed. 3k+ are dying every day now from this crap. But I mt bike a bit. Hike. Pushups, sit ups... I think of it this way: I like to go to the gym. But if I can't figure it out on my own... WTF.

MilfBanger78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
It really depends on where you're at in terms of muscle mass. You'd be surprised how easy it is to maintain/gain size at home if u have basic equipment. I made 90% of my muscle gains working out at home with a barbell set, bench and adjustable DB's. My lat gains increased when i started going to a gym with pulldowns etc. So i stick to planet fitness for back day usually. (although I can do 10 sets of 10 with a heavy 1-arm dumbell row at home if I dont feel like making the drive) Squats can be tough without a power rack, or alternatively a leg press. But if you've already built ur legs, hi rep Hindu squats can get u through. Theres some good squat program apps that ive been using on n off

Gj816

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Well I did it. Made myself get in the gym this morning. Hopefully I can get back on track. I'm a little sore now, but I had a protein shake after my workout and a good hot shower to ease my aching muscles. No pain no gain right?

jutadawg

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Well I did it. Made myself get in the gym this morning. Hopefully I can get back on track. I'm a little sore now, but I had a protein shake after my workout and a good hot shower to ease my aching muscles. No pain no gain right?

Good on you, man!

I’m not going back to the gym for a while, but after reading some comments here, I think I need to focus on just getting started. Way back after we had a baby, I realized I was so out of shape when I started getting back pain holding my kid (I was 30). I kept telling myself, “Two days a week is fine. Two is more than none.” And I usually did 3, sometimes 4.

And when I fell off the wagon, so to speak, I would tell myself it’s okay, just start again tomorrow. And I eventually would and I’d get back into good habits.

So I’ll try that tomorrow. One workout. And two workouts would be great this week. More than I’m doing now, right?

So someone on here ask me tomorrow night (Wednesday) if I started back. I promise I won’t lie.

See ya then.
PS à @ricd250584 Salut mec! J’aime bien Montréal. C’est une ville superbe. Merci pour le conseil.