Big Arms And Small Calves

GS_PL

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The good news is more guys than ever before are taking the time to workout their lower body. Unfortunately, far too many hot scorching men still have gorilla upper bodies, and regular looking legs. This dynamic looks bad.

I find it to be a major boner kill to see 15 inch calves with 21 inch arms. So much better looking when reversed.

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've always had the opposite problem. Due a combination of likely genetics as mentioned above and the fact I used to walk almost everywhere when I was younger, I've always had naturally large calves; while I've also always been a hard-gainer when it comes to developing the upper body. Now at my present age and body type, I've come to the conclusion my calves have pretty reached max growth no matter how dedicated I train them but they will still always be bigger than my arms no matter how many bicep curls or tricep pushdowns I do.

But I do agree about how ridiculous the image is of these guys strutting around with hulking ape torsos supported by chicken legs as seems to be the majority at my gym. I have always been one of the few male members I've seen actually doing lower body work, let alone have a dedicated leg day, and it all comes down to both the image most guys think men should resemble and the will to rise above the discomfort threshold leg work entails.

I have had several guys comment on my calves (a lot of them wear sweatpants to hide theirs) and tell me they wish their's looked like that, but still don't seem to want to put in the work towards that goal. While I may have had a natural leg up on them (no pun intended), anyone, especially if starting young and with a Mesomorph type, can build impressive legs; but the average guy either for lack of priority or moxy, never bothers.

DerrickRigg

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Had a work-out buddy who had a 51" chest, average 15" bis, and 12-year old girl calves.

His body looked like it was put together by Dr. Frankenstein. He hated me when I picked on his calves. Good times laughing!

Had a work-out buddy who had a 51" chest, average 15" bis, and 12-year old girl calves.

His body looked like it was put together by Dr. Frankenstein. He hated me when I picked on his calves. Good times laughing!

That is such a fucking turn off when they’re top heavy with chicken legs. “I don’t skip leg day!” Yeah, probably don’t have one!

Reactions: DerrickRigg

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
The biggest problem I see with guys who train calves is that they do it 100% wrong.
WAY too much weight & bouncing the weight.
Leg press, seated raises, standing raises.... It doesn't matter. Always horrible form and technique.
"I can't grow my calves..".
Yeah. No shocker there. You aren't putting any stress on them.
Bounce bounce bounce..
I just wait to hear a tendon snap with some of these guys.
Slow down. Squeeze at the top. Lower the weight slowly.
Why the hell would you train that one body part so insanely different than you do every other muscle on your body?
Makes no sense.
I guess it's an ego thing for some of them.