Body Dismorphia

Hulkinator

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Does anyone here body build and experience this? I’m now on sarms and I have gotten big in a short amount of time but it feels never good enough. I measure my arms several times a day and constantly check mirrors.

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Does anyone here body build and experience this? I’m now on sarms and I have gotten big in a short amount of time but it feels never good enough. I measure my arms several times a day and constantly check mirrors.
This sounds more like simple obsessive compulsive behavior and unrealistic expectations. As @Scarletbegonia mentioned, body dysmorphia is more like feeling you’re in a different body than you actually are. That’s something I’ve struggled with for a long time. I used to be 300+ pounds and even down at 185 I still felt like I was in a 300 pound body. It’s been over ten years and I still have days where I feel like I’m inside that 300 pound body. Mostly, I understand that I am not that person anymore... but on dark days I have to remind myself that people are gawking at me because I have a green Mohawk and I’m a woman who’s 200 pounds of muscle... but it takes actually convincing myself sometimes that they’re not gawking at me because I’m fat.

In answer to your question though... yeah, dude. We almost all feel like that. That’s part of the sickness that is being a bodybuilder lol Part of it just that we see our bodies every day so they’re much less impressive to us than they are to other people. As you push yourself harder in the gym and you get bigger and better, your baseline for “impressive” gets pushed too. When I started I just wanted to have nice legs. Next I just wanted people to be able to tell that I lift... even a little. Then I started joking with people that I was trying to look like GI Jane (but she’s a little too bulky), then I changed my mind and decided that wasn’t too bulky but just where I’d love to be... and then I was like “eeehhhh maybe a little bigger... I mean... I am 5’9” ‍♀️ Now I’m well beyond that body type and people constantly make comments about my muscle... and as I’m cutting I’m like “damn I need to bring my arms up... and my glutes... and I’d like some more size on my quads”. Lol this shit never ends. You’re definitely not alone.

Big_a_20

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
08AEA3DE-2396-4539-B798-D5838A240BF8.jpeg
I went back to gym as soon as they opened back in September '20. I gained about 15 pounds in that time and began loosing some of the Covid-quarantine-fat.
Then I felt like "yeah I wanna go further". I started a cycle 2 weeks ago and man... I began checking myself in every mirror or surface reflective enough. I go to the gym, train and obsess over my rep count, weight I lift and wether my clothes are tigher already.
Plus, the comments. Dudes and girls checking me out in the gym or in the street. Its pure, unadulterated ego boost. Confidence through the roof.

Back when I was young, an uncle ran a gym. One of the trainers once told me that many guys start saying they "just wanna be healthy" and that definitely "don't wanna get jacked", but once they see the changes, litle by little they obsess over it and want more and more.
My coach (he's an ex-pro-bodybuilder btw) also warned me that at the end of the cycle I'm gona want more. That anabolics are addictive by proxy, as unlike other drugs they don't make you "forget" or "escape" or "feel good". The addictive part is the feedback you receive and give yourself.
I feel you on the ego boost @dante33 lol. Never done a cycle here but when you start seeing changes AND then when others see it, you def wanna push yourself more. It’s like seeing a whole new person in the mirror.

I hooked up with this dude I haven’t seen in a while and he noticed my body changes in my baggy hoodie as soon as I walked in his apartment. Once I was naked, he couldn’t stop touching my chest and arms and kept saying how big I was and asking me to flex while I pounded him. I def wanted to gain more before but after that, lol, I DEF wanna get jacked. Been definitely getting more looks in the gym and locker room too but hearing and seeing how my fuckbud reacted makes me want more.

Here’s a recent pic of me for comparison:

LargeUnit

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Human nature in most of us - makes us always question ourselves and our appearance. I feel small and flabby some days - until I see most other men which verifies that I am doing fine - especially compared to men in my age range. Just keep at it and remember, you’re doing more than probably 90% of others. I love this quote and it keeps me motivated.....
“Somewhere, someone busier than you is working out”

Juanlw4444

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I think it helps to take progress pictures and look at them over time. Wait a few weeks after you take the progress pic to review it. You will likely suspend immediate judgement and feelings of inadequacy that you would otherwise feel in the moment while looking in the mirror.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
If you are aware of your actual size, and it seems you do, I have gotten big in a short amount of time,
then the issue is impatience.
Body dysmorphia is an inability to acknowledge the physical reality of your body/ having a body you do not feel is yours.
(The first is along the lines of anorexia, the second transgenderism as codeable “illness” for treatment under the law)

You simply expect more than your body can do.

Reactions: Big_a_20

Hulkinator

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I’ve been lifting for a little while and I can say I have my days where I feel small AF. I really have to remind myself of the progress I’ve made or else I get depressed or mad at myself. I thinks it’s because part of our brain sees the difference but another part still sees us as we’ve seen ourselves before because that’s what we were used to.
I have a pic of myself when I started so I can look at and be objective about the gains I’ve made. Makes me appreciate my progress and the work I’ve put in so far to get where I’m at now. I do the mirror check too haha especially after a workout in the locker room nude or in underwear.
Another thing that helps is seeing someone you haven’t seen in a while and unsolicited tell you how much mass you’ve put on. Def bumps your ego up a bit and oddly helps me put it into perspective.
A watched pot never boils so I would only measure once a month. Hope this helps bro!

It does help. I need to put away the tape measure. I’ve gotten so mad I’ve ripped up tape measures. The main thing I’m happy about is that I gave up binge drinking for good. I used to get drunk 4 nights a week. This video really describes me well lol

The anabolic doctor

Reactions: justjoe2

dante33

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Once I was naked, he couldn’t stop touching my chest and arms and kept saying how big I was and asking me to flex while I pounded him.
Happened to me once. Dude couldn't stop fondling my pecs and arms and moaning like an omega in heat as I f'd him. When it comes to ego boost, that's as good as gets!

Also: you look awesome!

Reactions: Big_a_20

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
This sounds more like simple obsessive compulsive behavior and unrealistic expectations. As @Scarletbegonia mentioned, body dysmorphia is more like feeling you’re in a different body than you actually are. That’s something I’ve struggled with for a long time. I used to be 300+ pounds and even down at 185 I still felt like I was in a 300 pound body. It’s been over ten years and I still have days where I feel like I’m inside that 300 pound body. Mostly, I understand that I am not that person anymore... but on dark days I have to remind myself that people are gawking at me because I have a green Mohawk and I’m a woman who’s 200 pounds of muscle... but it takes actually convincing myself sometimes that they’re not gawking at me because I’m fat.

In answer to your question though... yeah, dude. We almost all feel like that. That’s part of the sickness that is being a bodybuilder lol Part of it just that we see our bodies every day so they’re much less impressive to us than they are to other people. As you push yourself harder in the gym and you get bigger and better, your baseline for “impressive” gets pushed too. When I started I just wanted to have nice legs. Next I just wanted people to be able to tell that I lift... even a little. Then I started joking with people that I was trying to look like GI Jane (but she’s a little too bulky), then I changed my mind and decided that wasn’t too bulky but just where I’d love to be... and then I was like “eeehhhh maybe a little bigger... I mean... I am 5’9” ‍♀️ Now I’m well beyond that body type and people constantly make comments about my muscle... and as I’m cutting I’m like “damn I need to bring my arms up... and my glutes... and I’d like some more size on my quads”. Lol this shit never ends. You’re definitely not alone.

laughing along with
“damn I need to bring my arms up... and my glutes... and I’d like some more size on my quads”.

I’m merely trying to be fit, no greater expectation, just power my skinny ass down the trail.
And I still think, yanno, I should push that glute medius...it’s kind of flat. (Like pancake flat)

not that I expect the OP to acknowledge two lowly women.....

Reactions: Snarky_succubus

Snarky_succubus

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
laughing along with
“damn I need to bring my arms up... and my glutes... and I’d like some more size on my quads”.

I’m merely trying to be fit, no greater expectation, just power my skinny ass down the trail.
And I still think, yanno, I should push that glute medius...it’s kind of flat. (Like pancake flat)

not that I expect the OP to acknowledge two lowly women.....
I’ve mostly managed to avoid the bootygains mania... but at this point it doesn’t even match the rest of my muscularity so... lol *eye roll*
fiiiiine. Fine! I’ll risk looking like an insta-ho. Blah lol

Reactions: Scarletbegonia

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I’ve mostly managed to avoid the bootygains mania... but at this point it doesn’t even match the rest of my muscularity so... lol *eye roll*
fiiiiine. Fine! I’ll risk looking like an insta-ho. Blah lol

I’m fine looking “skinny.” I’m about fat percentage, and proportion over “size.”
But, I’m aiming at 118-125.
I want some glute medius because my butt gets sore walking from losing so much of it over the past year.

Reactions: Snarky_succubus
D

deleted3686901

Same I gained 5 pounds of muscle in only one month and lost 2% of body fat but like you said it’s ever enough I hope to get to you 8 or 9% and keep 190lbs

Reactions: Plasticroad1

Big_a_20

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I’ve been lifting for a little while and I can say I have my days where I feel small AF. I really have to remind myself of the progress I’ve made or else I get depressed or mad at myself. I thinks it’s because part of our brain sees the difference but another part still sees us as we’ve seen ourselves before because that’s what we were used to.
I have a pic of myself when I started so I can look at and be objective about the gains I’ve made. Makes me appreciate my progress and the work I’ve put in so far to get where I’m at now. I do the mirror check too haha especially after a workout in the locker room nude or in underwear.
Another thing that helps is seeing someone you haven’t seen in a while and unsolicited tell you how much mass you’ve put on. Def bumps your ego up a bit and oddly helps me put it into perspective.
A watched pot never boils so I would only measure once a month. Hope this helps bro!

DerrickRigg

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I think any guy that is into hardcore bbing will have this issue. I'm 6'2" and when I hit 295 lbs. at 7 bf due to effective sponsorship, the sponsor wanted me offseason at 315. We just want to be bigger and freakier. At least that is what happened to me.

DerrickRigg

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Just did 4 contests regionally. Lose two / won two. Planning a contest in over 50 contest in a year; maybe an Ifbb contest? I don't know right now. I just got to regain my body pre-covid. It's all about timing and sponsorship right now.

dante33

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I went back to gym as soon as they opened back in September '20. I gained about 15 pounds in that time and began loosing some of the Covid-quarantine-fat.
Then I felt like "yeah I wanna go further". I started a cycle 2 weeks ago and man... I began checking myself in every mirror or surface reflective enough. I go to the gym, train and obsess over my rep count, weight I lift and wether my clothes are tigher already.
Plus, the comments. Dudes and girls checking me out in the gym or in the street. Its pure, unadulterated ego boost. Confidence through the roof.

Back when I was young, an uncle ran a gym. One of the trainers once told me that many guys start saying they "just wanna be healthy" and that definitely "don't wanna get jacked", but once they see the changes, litle by little they obsess over it and want more and more.
My coach (he's an ex-pro-bodybuilder btw) also warned me that at the end of the cycle I'm gona want more. That anabolics are addictive by proxy, as unlike other drugs they don't make you "forget" or "escape" or "feel good". The addictive part is the feedback you receive and give yourself.

Merwin75

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Sorry for my english I'm French. I had this disorder to the point of eating a lot (pizza, hamburgers ect) I wanted the mass, to see the pounds on the scale, I liked being beefy and I felt safe with the fat on my belly but there is a few months I had an electroshock during a sex party when I saw thin and muscular or big and muscular men while I was disgusted with the fat. Today is much better, I eat a lot of prot, take steroids and feel better in front of my mirror, but I still have a lot of insecurity. I am 1m88 for 100 kilos, it has become my basic weight for 1 year. I dry off and my muscles are more prominent. People that I had not seen for a long time tell me that I am well muscled and strong, that reassures me. I also like to put on tank tops in the street to catch people's eyes, that also reassures me but I would always like to be a little bigger, I would like to go up to 110-115kg. I will probably add more steroid molecules to get even bigger by limiting the fat. I'm happy how far we've come and let go of that frantic urge to be beefy to feel safe. All these insecurities come from my adolescence because I was already tall and very thin, every day I was entitled to comments and mockery, it stuck in my head and I am very critical of myself, I never find myself pretty good even though I'm above average. I often go out to gay places and guys ask me and compliment me, it reassures me at the time but two days later I can feel disgusted.