Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I've recently learned from a football coach that the players will shower while wearing their underwear. Says maybe a few will shower nude but most are bashful about getting totally nude. Is this a common thing these days? FYI, I haven't been to a gym in years and been out of the military longer.

gohara

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I use to go to a small town usa ymca circa 2008. Ppl of all ages showered naked. We had open showers.

I do hope it is still that way.
That was half the fun. I got to scope out the guys naked and act like i wasn’t totally interested haha

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
No Response
I have heard this too and deplore it! What the fuck kind of situation occurs where guys shower in their underwear?? Such pussies. The mere fact that people have to specific "they showered (naked)" says it all: used to be that "shower" by definition means "Naked."Duh.

SwitchyNZ

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Communal shower at my gym most shower naked and are comfortable naked in the locker room.
Same with my running club- there's usually a good conversation in the showers after with us all naked (and we secretly checking out).
Been nude showers since my school days!
We also have shower and changing room at work and plenty of nudity in there

CaptainRugby

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Open showers are still pretty common in university gyms over here. One advantage of cubicle showers is that lots of guys leave the curtains open and the ‘private’ setting means you can have an erection without a ‘conversation’ with the management after.

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
My local college redid their locker room, which was HUGE and had a common shower. Now they have two-compartment stalls; that is, you walk into one little space, pull the curtain, hang up your stuff and undress, then step into the second stall where the shower actually is (and which also, inexplicably, has a curtain as well. It dawned on me that irony of how what is supposed to be a concession to modesty merely means that it's safer now to get with a guy in the stalls because it's not out in the open, whereas before, if you were jacking a dude in the group showers, anyone could come in.

jtheimpaler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I use two different gyms, one has the old skool open shower set up, the other (corporate) has a much more club locker room feel to it with cubicle showers, you get a lot more covering up in the corporate, but then I would imagine a lot more are there for aesthetic reasons and so it fits they are a lot more body conscious ….

I play football with a mix of ages and there’s never been any shorts in the communal showers for that… they’d get eaten alive if they did

D

deleted213967

you get a lot more covering up in the corporate, but then I would imagine a lot more are there for aesthetic reasons and so it fits they are a lot more body conscious ….

Yes, there is more covering up, but mostly there is skipping the shower altogether (except perhaps immediately before work in the morning...for some...and that was pre-Covid when offices were still packed). I see guys putting their formal clothes back on immediately post-workout. I wonder how many of them actually bother to shower at home afterwards.

I am a bit skeptical about the body-conscious argument: Over the past decade, I have observed a lot of...errr...not-so-fit guys going to impossible contortions to change to and from their underpants while in the men's lockerroom, even when they had the whole bay to themselves...and then proceed to the co-ed wet area to dip in the Jacuzzi in their poorly fitting Speedos. Surely there can be a lot "appearance-privileged" young females in an urban co-ed health club area. Why aren't they conscious about all the overflowing fat and the coarse hair on their not-so-muscular back?

Of course there are some fit guys who cover up as well, but the towel-dancers are by and large representative of the general population and tend to be on the high-BMI side. Still, I have never seen them cover up their nude upper-body even when attractive ladies were around.

Reactions: deleted14860851

new2day

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Big decline in them, struggle to remember the last gym I visited which had open showers. When I was at college/uni and for several years after they were the norm in private and public clubs I used for sports. Now it's all cubicles, and even changing cubicles inside the mens changing rooms!

Reactions: deleted17606111

sulvca

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
I've never seen a cubicle at a gym for showering. All of my experience has been in open gang showers. All were the poles in the middle of the room except for basic in the military.

dopeboyfresh

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Anyone in the U.S. see any communal gym showers any more? I go to a gym regularly that has separate shower stalls with even a private changing area. In fact, I never see anyone nude in the locker room ever period.

I feel like it's very rare here. My gym locker room has so little nudity that even I'd feel uncomfortable being the only nude guy in there. I used to like being freely nude when i was younger and used to go to a gym that would have 10+ nude guys in there at once. It was just a normal thing.

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Anyone in the U.S. see any communal gym showers any more? I go to a gym regularly that has separate shower stalls with even a private changing area. In fact, I never see anyone nude in the locker room ever period.

I feel like it's very rare here. My gym locker room has so little nudity that even I'd feel uncomfortable being the only nude guy in there. I used to like being freely nude when i was younger and used to go to a gym that would have 10+ nude guys in there at once. It was just a normal thing.
You're absolutely right and it SHOULD be a normal thing.