Couple's Counseling/therapy

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm asking two things from the viewpoint of a woman in a relationship with a man:
What are some of the ways you could take offense to his suggestion of couples counseling to resolve underlying or specific issues?
What could be some of the red flags that man could glean from a vehement refusal of any type of counseling that involves her(your) presence or input?

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I’d need context to answer.
What type of of context? And perhaps as a demonstration of the insight I'm looking for, what really is necessary beyond the given situation to make a generalized suggestion? I mean there's no abuse, no infidelity, this isn't a repeat thing, just seeking professional input on how to hear and respond to each other's ideas from a healthier place, as well as placing a more objective and less defensive perspective upon our ideological conflicts.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I couldn't imagine a scenario where he brings this up and my reaction is offense and refusal.

It may make me anxious, or upset to learn that he wasn't feeling like we're in a healthy place because that's not how I feel about our relationship but at the same time I'd appreciate honesty. I'd appreciate that he felt like it was worth fixing, or at least trying.

I imagine my replies won't be very helpful because me and my partner (who is in fact a straight man) are on the same page 9 times out of 10. When we don't happen to be on the same level somewhere in life we usually find a way to talk it through, and if it can't be talked through we can walk away from it and accept our differences.

I don't credit any of it to us working harder than other couples to stay connected and intimate. I truly think we just got really fucking lucky to have found someone so compatible.

If I could be helpful I would..

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
It was a momentary dust up, and she's since sort of(?) expressed a willingness to go...but I'm not necessarily convinced it's in good faith...that and the specificity of her response was both illuminating, and I fear contributory towards the conspiratorial sense I tend to have.
I definitely would be able to see anxious or upset as per where she thought we were in the relationship and how I was feeling...
But this came off much more as her expressing fear that some outside and objective entity would validate my feelings and thus place some onus upon her, despite the fact I'd be opening myself up to the same possibility.

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I couldn't imagine a scenario where he brings this up and my reaction is offense and refusal.
My thought process was this: me going to therapy alone and referencing issues about her only offer a one sided perspective, and risks me being offered guidance that doesn't necessarily take her position into view. Me positing she needs therapy alone also opens up the possibility for an unfairly one sided approach, not to mention comes off as dismissive and somewhat of a gaslighting behavior, implying there's something wrong with her that a professional needs to "fix".
Us going together implies we both are at an impasse that requires professional insight to navigate together, that even if what she accused was the case(that I'm just trying to squad up against her) I risk a professional seeing through all that and placing onus upon me to grow or move on.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Ummm is this hypothetical dude a known assbutt? Only seeking therapy because he thinks his poop is scentless and his partner will be blamed/shamed for all the couples problems?

If any of my partners asked me? I would have a sit and talk about it. Mostly which type of therapy would be best for us. Followed up with small things that can be worked on to put us in the best head space for sessions.

Reactions: Tight_N_Juicy

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Are you seeking therapy for your paranoia/conspiracy mindset?

Because a relationship is two people and most woolen live with damage.
Start with you in the context of you.

You said “and the specificity of her response was both illuminating, and I fear contributory towards the conspiratorial sense I tend to have.”

Deal with your reactions.
Decide how important your ideology is to you, both in whole and in part, and how much you need someone o the same page.
I know couples with quite diverse world views. They just don’t need their partner 100 percent onboard with how to make XYZ happen.

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My conspiratorial sense isn't based upon paranoia of what might be, more so of an acknowledgement of what has been. It's operating in good faith while girding myself so that possible failure isn't destructive. Perhaps conspiratorial isn't the right term. I've just come to understand a lot about my life, particularly when it comes to my relationships with women that subtext is where my attention should be, and I've had enough healthy subsequent communications to confirm this is the case. There was subtext in the nature of her reaction, even more when I specified my thought process to her. I saw the gears turning as she angrily threatened to only go to couples counseling after I moved out, probably because by that time I shifted the mode of conversation so it wasn't so optimally confrontational to her benefit. She then somewhat baited me to come capitulate again, only to see I took the opportunity to clean the house in a pleasant and stoic fashion. Next thing you know, apologies, a resolution to go to said counseling together. A few hours later a heavy sex session and she hasn't mentioned counseling since.

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I guess the nature of the impasse isn't really scandalous or anything, so here goes:
Social Media, particularly TikTok is what revived this issue, derived from what at first seemed like a congruent philosophy on PDA and performative acts of love. 1st I'll admit I've never been a fan of either, they don't fit my personality, come off as patronizing, and personally unsustainable for long periods of time. I get for a lot of people this is an important and necessary love language for relationship fulfillment, so I've always been upfront about it, before any significant emotional investment has been made. I've even grown to the point where things like holding hands, greeting kisses, and hugs are commonplace for me in public.
For my wife this seemed sufficient until she started getting more into social media, particularly random interactions with other commenters and content creators. A lot of this stems from us being an interracial couple, and she being extra sympathetic to the "cause" as a consequence of her black husband and children. The white guys that call her a "race traitor" don't make her bat an eye, but something about the black women really strikes a nerve of insecurity within her, generating a need to engage. Now I know these roads, I catch on to the slick comments, and I realized long ago as a black man that doesn't pedestalize non black women nor does not denigrate black women, just happened to marry a white woman(after a overwhelming majority of black gfs), most of this backlash is simple trolling or the lamentations of a few unfortunate women that can't get their romantic lives in order so seek to blame others. To respond is to figuratively get in the mud with pigs, it's never-ending and messy.
Well not only does my wife feel the need to engage(fair enough Lord knows I can go on a political, sexual, or social diatribe all day), which is completely her prerogative, but she seeks to involve me by setting up videos of me saying or doing things strategically that will refute these people's comment. I refused, I told her if it's that serious we have archives of pictures she can glean from, but I don't feel comfortable posing just so you can thumb your nose at some sad insignificant person. I told her that'd be like me posting ass and titty shots of her online because some dudebros insinuated I wasn't getting any sex. That impasse of us explaining our positions to each other is what prompted me to suggest that perhaps we see a therapist to get a better understanding of where we were coming from. When she, our female roommate and my teenaged daughter essentially installed the narrative of me not being emotionally expressive enough it was all good. Once I suggested we speak to a therapist for some clarity in the matter is when her shit hit the fan.

Sagittarius84

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Ummm is this hypothetical dude a known assbutt? Only seeking therapy because he thinks his poop is scentless and his partner will be blamed/shamed for all the couples problems?
Wouldn't then an opportunity for this assbuttery to be on full display for a licensed professional be one not to pass up? I get what you're saying and have heard horror stories about people preselecting specific therapists with known biases...which is probably why I suggested at the time that if my intentions were in question that I'd have no problem with her selecting the therapist.