Do you know any homosexuals that have been in a long term relationship?

ohiorod

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
One of my mentors in the HIV field has been with his partner for 25 years as of last month. My partner and I hosted a surprise socially distanced reception for them. Both sets of their parents attended and raved about their son’s partner. They never married, as one of them asserts that a piece of paper would not make a difference. They are quite the couple, both in their very late forties and both well respected in their fields of work. Their only regret is that adopting children wasn’t an option when they were younger.

D

deleted1074483

Gay men are unable to commit.

this may be true of SOME gay men, just as it is true of SOME heterosexual men- if its your experience of the gay world, then i'm sorry that you've experienced this, but your generalisation is simply not true, for myself and many other gay guys i know. i hope you discover this for yourself some time.

Reactions: ohiorod
D

deleted1074483

where one is most certainly cheating and the other just doesn’t know it.
again generalisations. you may know of guys in relationships where this happens. I know of some my self.

however, i also have been cheated on and know i didn't know it.

but more importantly i have been in and know many others who have been in monogamous long term relationships - not every guy (or gal, straight or gay) cheats.

Reactions: Call_Me_Dave

headbang8

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
I didn’t answer this question back in 2009, when it was first posted. I’m glad I didn’t.

Because if I’d answered it then, I’d only be able to say that I’ve been with my now-husband eight and a half years.

By answering it today, I can happily say that in July, it will be 21 years since we met. In November it will be 21 years since our first fuck. In September, it will be 13 years since our civil union.

(It was, if you’ll pardon the expression, a shotgun civil union. We needed to do it for immigration purposes.)

We did some of it long distance. We had difficulties which nearly drove us apart. But recent difficult circumstances have had the opposite effect; they strengthened us.

I wouldn’t characterize it as a result of “commitment”, as @Mixedboy292 suggests. Who knows? We might yet grow apart. Gay men, I think, are pretty realistic in affairs of the heart.

But I can say that over the years, we’ve grown more tolerant of what drives each other crazy, more appreciative of the other’s emotional generosity, and kept up a decent enough sex life. Not bad for a couple, gay or straight.

Reactions: ohiorod and Gj816