Facts About Our Bodies

Nosuportneeded

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Good stuff. Medicine is hard. Diagnosing, treating... all of it

Add to that that doctors are often just dumbasses like the rest, and it gets really hard to diagnose and treat

being female does seem to make you more at risk for a lot of medical issues, but also more at risk to not being listened to by the medical industry. Yes I said industry

Weird to live in such relative privilege and be stymied by nagging medical issues. Women, even in America, can fight with a simple case of B.V. for ever because they are not the typical diagnosis or treatment

Your insurance, dr, and local area really affect the level of care and that is bullshit. If you are not a smart person who can fend for themselves, you will likely not get the treatment you need and deserve. You literally have to research and fight (and face resentment from pros) to get the right care. If you can afford it

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
It may be bullshit, but isn't that just, like...life?

For women the bullshit goes beyond the usual our medical system is fucked level of bullshit.

Doctors have an admitted bias against women in terms of trusting patient reported information. The stigma of "hysteria" still lingers. If a woman claims a 7 pain level most doctors will treat at 3-4 pain level. Women will self report important ailments that need further testing only to be told she over reacting or attention seeking. What should evoke concern and a handful of referrals for further diagnostic testing get brushed away.

Most medical studies and medication trials are run on men. Some drugs, for conditions such as heart disease, will make it to market without ever being tested for efficacy or side effects in women. It's only the last few years have doctors have told women that body weight, medications and other factors might put a dink in hormonal birth control.

Women's health is a very contentious issue in Burgerland. Conservatives have tried to enforce medical procedure on women that simply do not exist, namely the reimplantation of ectopic pregnancies. Yeah. Women have been denied access to general health exams, maternity care, sexual health screening, cancer screening. All because of deep seated misogyny.

Even if women have insurance. Can advocate for themselves. Women still hit a wall of dismissal and near infantilization from medical practitioners. Our agency is always threatened. It fucking sucks.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual

Not for men, not when it comes to reproductive health/rights.

Two completely different standards. It's fucking bullshit and it's ruined my life in several ways. I just keep waking up because that's my only option. But really? My reproductive system and my attempts to tame the piece of shit have caused me immeasurable trauma. I live with chronic pain in my uterus/ovaries and I suffer from PTSD from the loss I've experienced because of it.

If I had found a doctor at 19 who would have removed my fallopian tubes and/or uterus I would have a significantly higher quality of life, because I wouldn't be in this physical and psychological pain *constantly*.

Nosuportneeded

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay

Yes. It is. This is where we discuss that

The others here underscored the more specific distinction of women being at a relative healthcare disadvantage (more life. Darn that life)

norwegianintrovert

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
For women the bullshit goes beyond the usual our medical system is fucked level of bullshit.

Doctors have an admitted bias against women in terms of trusting patient reported information. The stigma of "hysteria" still lingers. If a woman claims a 7 pain level most doctors will treat at 3-4 pain level. Women will self report important ailments that need further testing only to be told she over reacting or attention seeking. What should evoke concern and a handful of referrals for further diagnostic testing get brushed away.

I read somewhere that this is even worse for non-caucasian women; I believe black and Asian women were mentioned specifically. I can't remember if a study was mentioned (can't look for one now or I'll fall into a rabbit hole when I have stuff to get back to), but I have no trouble believing it.

Not for men, not when it comes to reproductive health/rights.

Two completely different standards. It's fucking bullshit and it's ruined my life in several ways. I just keep waking up because that's my only option. But really? My reproductive system and my attempts to tame the piece of shit have caused me immeasurable trauma. I live with chronic pain in my uterus/ovaries and I suffer from PTSD from the loss I've experienced because of it.

If I had found a doctor at 19 who would have removed my fallopian tubes and/or uterus I would have a significantly higher quality of life, because I wouldn't be in this physical and psychological pain *constantly*.

I'm so sorry :broken_heart: It's fucking insane that stuff like this is allowed to happen to women. No one should have their lives ruined simply because a broken system denies them the bodily autonomy they should be allowed.