Facts About Our Bodies

D

deleted5506831

Women tend to have to fight like hell to be allowed to make a change to their body. Wanna get yourself sterilized? Good fuckin' luck.

Let's not forget we have to fight like hell to even be taken seriously about our cycles. And I honestly feel like female doctors ignore is more than male doctors. For fucks sake my cycle was ALWAYS regular. 28 days, never fail. Well the last year and a half it's gotten all wonky. 76 days, 45 days, 18 days (that was fun) etc. My female OB kept ignoring my requests for blood work, etc and just says "oh that's normal". No it's not. Not for me. I finally had to literally start yelling at her and demanding further testing before she did anything. We shouldn't have to resort to that.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Let's not forget we have to fight like hell to even be taken seriously about our cycles. And I honestly feel like female doctors ignore is more than male doctors. For fucks sake my cycle was ALWAYS regular. 28 days, never fail. Well the last year and a half it's gotten all wonky. 76 days, 45 days, 18 days (that was fun) etc. My female OB kept ignoring my requests for blood work, etc and just says "oh that's normal". No it's not. Not for me. I finally had to literally start yelling at her and demanding further testing before she did anything. We shouldn't have to resort to that.
IME, it’s the men who refuse to test, take things into account, etc.

D

deleted5506831

IME, it’s the men who refuse to test, take things into account, etc.
That sucks. I've had that experience too with male doctors as well. Mainly my ortho surgeon. I've simply had more female doctors so my experience is skewed. It's so frustrating regardless.

ZarbK

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
For women the bullshit goes beyond the usual our medical system is fucked level of bullshit.

Doctors have an admitted bias against women in terms of trusting patient reported information. The stigma of "hysteria" still lingers. If a woman claims a 7 pain level most doctors will treat at 3-4 pain level. Women will self report important ailments that need further testing only to be told she over reacting or attention seeking. What should evoke concern and a handful of referrals for further diagnostic testing get brushed away.

So true and well said. I remember when my mom told me about her struggles to get doctors to take her seriously, i was a teenager at the time. This isnt a story about reproductive issues but its still illustrative. These fucken doctors jerked my mom around for over a decade while her spinal injury was getting worse and almost completely debilitating.

Eventually, after many years, she found a doc who finally ordered scans and they found that literally bone spurs were growing out into the soft tissue at the site of the original injury (fractured vertebrae! between the shoulders) and that half the vertebrae had disintegrated away and didnt exist anymore, from an injury that had healed badly decades earlier.

The same doctor who had ordered the scans then performed the surgery to clean up the bone spurs and installed three titanium rods and several screws into her back to hold it together. As an aside, the same week my mom had her spinal operation, my little brother (from a different momma) was 9months old and had open heart surgery, it all happened right at halloween that year.
Continuing on, it worked out well! Her quality of life improved greatly after she healed, and no longer had to wear a chest brace to stay upright and most importantly, the chronic pain from the injury was way lessened.
Even though i cant remember the doc’s name, I remain very thankful that doctor came into the picture, without him, my mom would probably be dead by now! Not all of the docs out there are jerks, just some of them.

But it really illustrates how some people dont take women seriously because of the legacy of perceived hysteria.
I also read that women who suffer from heart disease and heart attacks have a higher rate of mortality because the checks aren't done as consistently as with men in this area, and so they didnt know they were at significant risk of heart attack.

Tactfulgal

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I've heard more than 1 story of doctors not taking men seriously as well. I'm sure there are some who infantilize women but I think some doctors just don't like to admit when they don't know something or when they have a situation that requires them to really work. Like anything there are good ones and bad ones.

Reactions: Hassall

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
No. Whataboutism doesn't fly when women are denied medical procedures as standard practice. No. Just no.

This is literally Women's Issues. We can absolutely discuss the realities of being women without a bit of acknowledgement or recognition of man pain.

Tactfulgal

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
No. Whataboutism doesn't fly when women are denied medical procedures. No. Just no.

This is literally Women's Issues. We can absolutely discuss the realities of being women without a bit of acknowledgement or recognition of man pain.

Yeah. I didn't mean to discount this. I was more trying to bag on doctors, not minimize those situations. I feel lucky I haven't had something like that.

Infernal

Superior Member
Media
Phoenix, Arizona, United States of America
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I also read that women who suffer from heart disease and heart attacks have a higher rate of mortality because the checks aren't done as consistently as with men in this area, and so they didnt know they were at significant risk of heart attack.

This is very true. Women don't always show the classic signs of a heart attack... chest pain, left arm pain, etc. My mother was in heart failure for days and had been to the ER three times. She was a nurse and even she thought she had food poisoning. She had indigestion, heartburn, diarrhea, etc. The last visit to the ER was when she finally felt chest pain. She had enough time to tell the nurse she felt it and then she passed out. She never regained consciousness. Turns out she had peripheral vascular disease and small blood clots in her legs were blocking vessels in her lungs and heart. Eventually, a big one broke loose and killed her.

I tell all the women in my life - if you have any suspicion that you are having heart issues, go to the ER right away. Don't take no for an answer and demand to be seen.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
D

deleted1846971

Based on a fucking stupid thread back on SF, the topic gets brought up as a humble brag of sorts. It’s an indirect way of saying “I got a mega ding dong. I know this because I hurt my partners. Intentionally.” That thread creator got dragged beyond belief, might have been worse than Philly Swords got it here. @Tight_N_Juicy can attest.
Thank you for reminding me of the dragging Philly Swords earned here. That dragging was one of my favorite things here lol