First time on dating apps, should I lower my expectations?

justaboredguy

Experimental Member
Media
So I’ve recently came to terms with myself and finally said in gay to myself out loud, naturally the first step was telling a close family member, it went great. So far only one person knows.

I’ve never done dating apps before only been on hookup apps. So I match with this guy, he’s handsome a few years younger which kinda bothered me but we exchanged Snapchat and we got talking, so the first day we talked about everything, we both agreed we weren’t looking for sex we where looking for something more, the next day we chat but the whole day he’s making everything sexual I’m a young man I love sex but we told each other we wanted more like if I wanted just sex I’d be on grindr.

I’m not exactly sure what to do now as the 3rd day I've heard nothing from him he's gone quiet, I get that people have lives but I’m new to this and I’m already got the feeling he’s got bored, am I wrong? Does it sound like he’s just looking for a quick bunk up? I’m confused.

LPSG Simon

Superior Member
Staff
Gold
Media
Probably looking for a 'right now' kind of scenario.

IMO I have always found apps to be bad for meeting people I'd actually want to get to know in that they lend themselves to people being a bit half-assed in the commitment of their approach. Add the classic layer of people you like not replying and mostly getting approached by those you dont like, and it ends up with a lot of frustration and time wasting.

IMO apps are good for open minded sex-seeking (I've made some great friends and had long term relationships from them, but dont go in looking to count on it).

If you want reliable chemistry, I would look for in-person ways to meet people like a local gay sports league or some other social club. That way you know you have something more in common with the people around off the bat than them being merely xxx-feet-away. Plus they're sharing a social arena with you so they have to be a bit more accountable in how they socialize. ;)

Reactions: GayBootyLover69

ILoveGames48

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
So I’ve recently came to terms with myself and finally said in gay to myself out loud, naturally the first step was telling a close family member, it went great. So far only one person knows.

I’ve never done dating apps before only been on hookup apps. So I match with this guy, he’s handsome a few years younger which kinda bothered me but we exchanged Snapchat and we got talking, so the first day we talked about everything, we both agreed we weren’t looking for sex we where looking for something more, the next day we chat but the whole day he’s making everything sexual I’m a young man I love sex but we told each other we wanted more like if I wanted just sex I’d be on grindr.

I’m not exactly sure what to do now as the 3rd day I've heard nothing from him he's gone quiet, I get that people have lives but I’m new to this and I’m already got the feeling he’s got bored, am I wrong? Does it sound like he’s just looking for a quick bunk up? I’m confused.
Dating apps are a joke.. you talk to guys say they want this that or the other.. then will only be with certain type of guys .. .. they want you to be a perfect 10 while they are a 3 ..

Reactions: LPSG Simon

justaboredguy

Experimental Member
Media
Dating apps are a joke.. you talk to guys say they want this that or the other.. then will only be with certain type of guys .. .. they want you to be a perfect 10 while they are a 3 ..
I’m starting to realise, this guy was perfect to start out with we talked for hours on the first day and he seemed to be my type, nice and chill then the next day everything was about sexual stuff so it was clear what he wanted and when I wouldn’t play into the conversation he went quiet and hasn’t really spoke to me since, so I have my answer.

Reactions: malakos

playklax01

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Even dating apps vs hookup apps, many guys are only looking for 'now'. It's hard, I totally get it. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not into hooking up, I like dates (plural!) first and see how things go after a while. And this is all still new to me. I was with someone for over 20 years, now single. Back then it was a totally different environment with gay clubs and stuff. This new age with phones and apps, I'm still trying to navigate it properly...

justaboredguy

Experimental Member
Media
Even dating apps vs hookup apps, many guys are only looking for 'now'. It's hard, I totally get it. I'm in the same boat as you. I'm not into hooking up, I like dates (plural!) first and see how things go after a while. And this is all still new to me. I was with someone for over 20 years, now single. Back then it was a totally different environment with gay clubs and stuff. This new age with phones and apps, I'm still trying to navigate it properly...
Unbelievably hard, I've never done dating apps, hookup apps are pretty easy to navigate but it's the fact men are the hard part. I just don't understand them how they work. they're so complicated and flaky. I don't do gay bars as I've just came out so I don't really know the gay side of things like clubs and bars etc I've only ever known apps and social media which is awful always has been, always will be.

playklax01

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Unbelievably hard, I've never done dating apps, hookup apps are pretty easy to navigate but it's the fact men are the hard part. I just don't understand them how they work. they're so complicated and flaky. I don't do gay bars as I've just came out so I don't really know the gay side of things like clubs and bars etc I've only ever known apps and social media which is awful always has been, always will be.

Back in the day (20+ years ago), there used to be tons of gay clubs in Boston, where I am. Now there's like 2-3 I think, and not the scene I remember. One is drag focused, the other is leather. There's a new one that supposed to be more traditional, I'm going to check it out soon (with the lowest of expectations) with a friend.

Apps are tough. I could be talking nicely to someone over a couple of days, everything going well, all of the sudden no response for a while... like WTF? They're flaky, like you said. Then there's the 'I'm not looking for sex right away"...ten minutes later..."Wanna come over and f***?"

There's no easy way... :(

justaboredguy

Experimental Member
Media
Back in the day (20+ years ago), there used to be tons of gay clubs in Boston, where I am. Now there's like 2-3 I think, and not the scene I remember. One is drag focused, the other is leather. There's a new one that supposed to be more traditional, I'm going to check it out soon (with the lowest of expectations) with a friend.

Apps are tough. I could be talking nicely to someone over a couple of days, everything going well, all of the sudden no response for a while... like WTF? They're flaky, like you said. Then there's the 'I'm not looking for sex right away"...ten minutes later..."Wanna come over and f***?"

There's no easy way... :(
Same situation talking to this lad, granted I'm lucky in this sense as he showed his true colours straight away so I wasn't emotionally invested. But I gave him my snapchat which I never give anyone (only have family on there) I was 100% honest and still ended up getting ghosted. It's my first real experience of online dating and every thing I've heard from online dating has been horror stories.