Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I would like some advice or help i definitely want to get back on a fitness journey to become more healthy. Basically loose some weight (about 15-20lbs) but also gain some muscle too cause i want muscles (and a butt lol).

Problem is i really can not afford a fitness trainer right now. Its basically just me. I need help knowing what i should be focusing on workout wise at the gym and not feel so lost when im there.

Any advice would help.

Persons new to the gym grow muscles much faster than those who have been there for months and years. Take advantage of that by targeting everything as much as possible. Go for big compound movements instead of smaller isolation exercises.

I do a full body workout 3 times a week, squats, deadlifts, bench press, overhead press, cable rows and lat pulldowns. There are plenty of youtube tutorials out there to show you proper form. Aim for 3 sets of 8 to 10 reps for each exercise. Thats the best rep range for muscle size and growth.

By the time you are ready to progress to something else, you’ll know what to do. You could do what the meat stick suggested basically forever.

Reactions: dfw051980
I wanted to plug MyFitnessPal, or basically some kind of system for tracking your diet that's easy to use and to take with you. I upload to MFP mostly through my computer, but I've got the app on my phone too.

If you're trying to lose weight, you'll have the best success of taking a slow and gradual route. Don't starve yourself. Don't skip meals. Don't set unattainable goals either like going zero carbs or fat or drastically cutting back on everything you enjoy eating. Rather, you'll want to test out and implement gradual eating improvements; between those and exercise, you'll want to take in 500 calories less per day. That averages to one pound of weight loss per week. I know that "500" sounds like a mentally huge number. Remember that reduction comes from changing how you eat and burning additional calories through exercise.

Weight training can burn calories you take in and, as your muscles grow, will burn more during rest periods. That said, if you're trying to bulk up in a significant way, the advice to eat more (generally) and increase protein intake may offset fat-burning weight reduction.

Trust me. I've been there. I put on a lot of fat and weight after finishing my doctoral degree. I lost quite a bit of weight through participating in a Couch-to-5K program. I felt so good about finishing the 5K that I got complacent with exercise. Covid hit; I went to the gym for a minute, then worked out at home for a while, and I've been trying to find an exercise program that works for me. There's a lot of information online, so much so that it may seem overwhelming. I've been there too.

So, for now, my annual check-up informed me that I need to focus more on what I'm eating than exercise. Hence, I'm back to MFP but am eager to try new and healthy food habits. Good luck to you too, OP.

Reactions: dfw051980
First, watch this:

Then, run Jeff Nippard's push pull legs split.

If you only want to work out three days a week, these are your three sessions.

Legs:
Push:
Pull:

If you are able to dedicate more time in the gym than three days a week, do these three workouts then take a rest day, then repeat. So for example: Monday Legs, Tuesday Push, Wednesday Pull, Thursday Rest, Friday Legs, Saturday Push, Sunday Pull, Monday Rest, Tuesday Legs etc etc etc. Repeat until you are a greek statue.

• Love
Reactions: Roykman
Thanks everyone for all the helpful info.
Just moved to a new apt complex that has a nicer gym… but i also changed jobs with a gokd pay increase so i think in Aug or Sept ill be anle to put in a little more time and $ into my fitness goals.