Hammam / Turkish Baths London: Question + Tips?

aurabka

Sexy Member
Media
Really intrigued about Hammams, Turkish baths, Banya's etc in London.

Have always heard about these passively and a friend recently piqued my interest more after telling me about an enjoyable visit in Istanbul.

Want to go to a few in London (on Men Only days) and had a few questions. Before diving in, these are the ones that seem to pop up the most:

* New Docklands Steam
* Turkish Hammam (Dalston?)
* Banya No 1

Being transparent, I'm equal parts intrigued about the nonchalant brotherliness of these spaces and the undeniable sensual element. There's a slight contradiction in that, but I guess that's where the excitement/intrigue comes from. Have been put off by the full-on, all-out, "in your face" approach of some of the obvious steam spots.

Saying that, can anyone advise on:

* What actually happens at these places. I guess a rough guide of what to expect. Especially on a first visit. Some seem to have packages, but a lot of what I've read here seems to suggest a kind of "open plan" environment and mutual washes / massages by fellow visitors.

* Hearing a lot about the need to bring own towels. Can you bring your own soap and scrubs too? Kinda particular about hygiene, so ideally would want to. But would rather know ahead of time if I have to "let go" of that and embrace the communal aspect before attending (and possibly offending when there lol).

* Where's most LGBTQ / curious friendly? Keeping it real, I can't imagine being in this environment and not getting hard at times. At the same time, I'm understanding that discretion and respect for the space is a must. I plan on wearing shorts anyway, but don't wanna go anywhere that will throw me out simply for tenting. Any protocol when it comes to this?

* Is there any privacy? Not actively planning to "do" anything. But, like I said, a big part of the appeal is the bro-ness, the intimacy, and possibility. If at all there's the chance of anything happening, are there private (or at least more private) areas that aren't in full view of everyone?

Thanks!

• Love
Reactions: jahan and MarcosJO3

aclosetedguy

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I have no specific information about the ones in London area so can't really say much on that but in general first you go in and change your clothes in a private booth. This is also the place where you rest with your buddies or by yourself after the hammam. They are usually big enough to accommodate up to 3-4 people. You can bring your own towel, soap etc. If you are not comfortable with towels you can even bring board shorts but some historic places might not allow that.
After you wrap your towel you go into the cold area. This is where people might be taking a quick cold shower after or before using the hot area, use toilets, shave or just take a break from the hot area. And when I say cold it probably is going to be hotter than usual- kind of like a transition to the main area.
After that you go into the hot area. In this place there will be a big marble island in the middle where people get massages and faucets along the walls where you get wet playing with with steaming hot water. There might be smaller connected rooms with maybe 5-6 faucets for friend groups to hang out but they are not really private and everyone can still see each other.
Getting a boner is really hard when it is so hot inside and you can hardly even breath but if in some cases it happens it will be hard to see because the room will be full of steam and if by chance they see it no one will care if you don't try to show it off intentionally.
If it is not specifically a gay hammam I wouldn't recommend intimate moments other than your private booth. Even then you have to be careful because there won't be such a thing as noise insulation.

Last edited:
Reactions: jahan

aurabka

Sexy Member
Media
I have no specific information about the ones in London area so can't really say much on that but in general first you go in and change your clothes in a private booth. This is also the place where you rest with your buddies or by yourself after the hammam. They are usually big enough to accommodate up to 3-4 people. You can bring your own towel, soap etc. If you are not comfortable with towels you can even bring board shorts but some historic places might not allow that.
After you wrap your towel you go into the cold area. This is where people might be taking a quick cold shower after or before using the hot area, use toilets, shave or just take a break from the hot area. And when I say cold it probably is going to be hotter than usual- kind of like a transition to the main area.
After that you go into the hot area. In this place there will be a big marble island in the middle where people get massages and faucets along the walls where you get wet playing with with steaming hot water. There might be smaller connected rooms with maybe 5-6 faucets for friend groups to hang out but they are not really private and everyone can still see each other.
Getting a boner is really hard when it is so hot inside and you can hardly even breath but if in some cases it happens it will be hard to see because the room will be full of steam and if by chance they see it no one will care if you don't try to show it off intentionally.
If it is not specifically a gay hammam I wouldn't recommend intimate moments other than your private booth. Even then you have to be careful because there won't be such a thing as noise insulation.

Thank you! This is helpful!

Pretty much convinced me. Any Londoners been to some of the ones I listed? Any feedback?

ChamranKnebter

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hammam in Dalston is nice. Being in the middle of London, you won't get the glorious architecture of a hamam in Turkey, of course; the warm area is subterranean, equipped with a steam room (occasionally underwhelming), and there is also a lounge where massages are given after the scrub.

Upon arrival, you'll be given a pestemal to wrap yourself with in the wet area. My advice is, don't wear swimming trunks or underwear beneath this, it just gets in the way of the scrub. You'll be given a towel after the scrub, so no need to bring your own. Also, the space is too small and intimate for any sort of "play", and bear in mind the staff is Turkish (i.e., likely Muslim), so actual nudity is culturally taboo.

Avoid Sunday nights, which get crowded and rowdy after the kebab joints close.

Reactions: jahan

aurabka

Sexy Member
Media
Hammam in Dalston is nice. Being in the middle of London, you won't get the glorious architecture of a hamam in Turkey, of course; the warm area is subterranean, equipped with a steam room (occasionally underwhelming), and there is also a lounge where massages are given after the scrub.

Upon arrival, you'll be given a pestemal to wrap yourself with in the wet area. My advice is, don't wear swimming trunks or underwear beneath this, it just gets in the way of the scrub. You'll be given a towel after the scrub, so no need to bring your own. Also, the space is too small and intimate for any sort of "play", and bear in mind the staff is Turkish (i.e., likely Muslim), so actual nudity is culturally taboo.

Avoid Sunday nights, which get crowded and rowdy after the kebab joints close.

Thank you!

Few quick questions about this.

The pestemal (towel) is to be worn throughout the sauna/steam?

For the scrub, I presume there's no towel for this and this part is nude? Or is there some kind of cover? Also, is this in full view of the other people in the space or cordoned off separately?

Is this one of the spaces/places where other attendees are free to offer/swap massages in the steam area? Still stumped on whether to go with one of their packages (with which I assume everything is done by the staff) or go for something more general and enjoy a sort of combined experience (staff and possibly other visitors).

Lastly, I'm actually planning a Sunday visit sometime next month specifically because it's the Men-Only day lol. So, it is avoid "Sunday nights" specifically or Sundays altogether?

Thanks again

ChamranKnebter

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Thank you!

Few quick questions about this.

The pestemal (towel) is to be worn throughout the sauna/steam?

For the scrub, I presume there's no towel for this and this part is nude? Or is there some kind of cover? Also, is this in full view of the other people in the space or cordoned off separately?

Is this one of the spaces/places where other attendees are free to offer/swap massages in the steam area? Still stumped on whether to go with one of their packages (with which I assume everything is done by the staff) or go for something more general and enjoy a sort of combined experience (staff and possibly other visitors).

Lastly, I'm actually planning a Sunday visit sometime next month specifically because it's the Men-Only day lol. So, it is avoid "Sunday nights" specifically or Sundays altogether?

Thanks again

Yes, the pesternal is worn whenever in the wet area. During a scrub, the attendant will move it around to access the upper legs, but that's it. Again, full nudity would simply be unthinkable in Islamic culture. There may be another guest being scrubbed next to you on the marble slab, or one or two guests seated around the area taking a break from the steam room, but this is rare. It's really quite a small facility.

I've never seen other guests massage each other; I imagine that would raise an eyebrow or two.

I can't speak to Sundays altogether, but I was warned by staff specifically about Sunday nights being crowded.

Dylbert

Expert Member
Media
I've been to New Docklands a few times and Saturday morning is very loud with locals. Sunday afternoon is best with lots of gays going. It's not a cruising sauna so don't expect to have sex however it is very homoerotic and the guys are more than happy to take turns massaging you. You can go naked and leave your belongings in a locker or wear a pair of swimmers and take them off when you feel comfortable.

In terms of towels, take your own (plus £10 cash for the locker key deposit which you get back) and also take your own massage and exfoliation stuff.

Go go go and enjoy it! It's fantastic.

Reactions: miamirt and Dayglo
D

deleted21945561

I would really
Like to try a bathhouse in London if anyone would like to go with me please let me know

D

deleted21945561

I would
Like to try the ones in docklands if that works or Porchester spa