Has anyone made a true transformation?

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
Has anyone ever gone from terrible shape to great shape?
If so, would you share your stories, and perhaps your photos?
We see promises from countless entities selling workout plans, diet plans, pills, etc, but it would be great to hear directly from people who aren't part of a company's advertising agenda.

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
Good work, Woody, and judging by your body pics, you're in amazing shape.
I have lost a similar amount of weight this past year, but I'm wondering if there are guys here who can say that they've gone from one extreme to the other. All the guys I know who are in shape or built have always been at least athletic, or perhaps a somewhat over or underweight, but I've never known anyone personally who has gone from skin and bones or very obese to very fit or built. I'm just wondering if there are any real life experiences like that.

Reactions: Gj816

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
I've put on about 30 pounds at my current height. I'm still trying to get bigger, but each additional pound of muscle is difficult for me to gain.
Putting on 30 pounds of muscle requires a great deal of discipline and hard work, DSF, so great work! How long has it taken you to do that? How have you been eating?

DSF140

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
It's taken about 15 years, which might sound tragic for some (and sometimes to me, too), but I did it right. And I'm not talking about fat gain, which anyone can do in a few months. There were periods where I simply floundered about, though, so had I been more disciplined I could be farther along in my journey.

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
It's taken about 15 years, which might sound tragic for some (and sometimes to me, too), but I did it right. And I'm not talking about fat gain, which anyone can do in a few months. There were periods where I simply floundered about, though, so had I been more disciplined I could be farther along in my journey.
Anyone who can stay on track for such a long haul, the way you did, should be admired.
I have fallen off the wagon too many times to count. I'm hoping to gain some insights into how people stay focused and disciplined.

FootballBro25

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Over the past 7 years I’ve really been on a “journey.” I hate that word and it sounds cliche’. I’ve just made lot of changes because I was really tired of being fat.

I don’t share this often, but about 8 years ago I was just under 300lbs. I’m 6’5” so even though that sounds massive, it wasn’t as bad as a 5’10 person being that weight. No doubt about it though, I was fat.

I decided I wanted to change and I started jogging. I did that for a while and got down to about 250-260. At some point I went back up a little. Then I got more serious and started hitting the weights at the gym and jogging, getting down to about 240. Hurt my back because I didn’t know what the fuck I was doing, and gained weight again because I could barely move for months with a back injury.

After that point I got very serious. This was about 5 years ago. I started going to the gym consistently, switched to a lower carb diet, and did a lot of cardio with weights. I got down to approx. 205-208, but I was too “skinny fat” for my frame. I decided to drop cut my cardio down and focus mostly on weights and eating MORE, not less, to build muscle. I’ve been at 230ish for a while and I feel like I finally understand my body and muscle building. Diet and exercise to work EVERYDAY. It’s a slow change, and takes consistency. Don’t expect big changes right away. I wish I had pics to share from when I was fat, but they all have my face in them and I can’t share those on here.

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
Over the past 7 years I’ve really been on a “journey.” I hate that word and it sounds cliche’. I’ve just made lot of changes because I was really tired of being fat.

I don’t share this often, but about 8 years ago I was just under 300lbs. I’m 6’5” so even though that sounds massive, it wasn’t as bad as a 5’10 person being that weight. No doubt about it though, I was fat.

I decided I wanted to change and I started jogging. I did that for a while and got down to about 250-260. At some point I went back up a little. Then I got more serious and started hitting the weights at the gym and jogging, getting down to about 240. Hurt my back because I didn’t know what the fuck I was doing, and gained weight again because I could barely move for months with a back injury.

After that point I got very serious. This was about 5 years ago. I started going to the gym consistently, switched to a lower carb diet, and did a lot of cardio with weights. I got down to approx. 205-208, but I was too “skinny fat” for my frame. I decided to drop cut my cardio down and focus mostly on weights and eating MORE, not less, to build muscle. I’ve been at 230ish for a while and I feel like I finally understand my body and muscle building. Diet and exercise to work EVERYDAY. It’s a slow change, and takes consistency. Don’t expect big changes right away. I wish I had pics to share from when I was fat, but they all have my face in them and I can’t share those on here.
That was a great testimonial, @FootballBro25 . Thank you for sharing that. I can understand the photo issue. I tend to cut my face out of them when I share anything on the internet. But back to your "journey." Cliche or not, it's a good word because a journey demonstrates progress, milestones, and detours. I especially appreciate that you included where you back tracked, because that's the biggest problem the vast majority of people face. Most people fall off and are too discouraged to make up again the lost ground they had worked hard for previously. At least that's how I lose focus most of the time. Last time, I pulled my back doing something stupid, rushing through my biceps curls, and took time off to let it heal. This was after months of good progress. I've just recently restarted my routine. I bring this up because it demonstrates how we can get sidetracked.
I'm mostly impressed by the progression of different techniques you used to get where you are now, going from jogging to weights adding diet, weighted cardio, etc. Looking at you now in your album pics, I'd never imagine you as obese as you say you were. Thank you for sharing your story.

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
That was a great testimonial, @FootballBro25 . Thank you for sharing that. I can understand the photo issue. I tend to cut my face out of them when I share anything on the internet. But back to your "journey." Cliche or not, it's a good word because a journey demonstrates progress, milestones, and detours. I especially appreciate that you included where you back tracked, because that's the biggest problem the vast majority of people face. Most people fall off and are too discouraged to make up again the lost ground they had worked hard for previously. At least that's how I lose focus most of the time. Last time, I pulled my back doing something stupid, rushing through my biceps curls, and took time off to let it heal. This was after months of good progress. I've just recently restarted my routine. I bring this up because it demonstrates how we can get sidetracked.
I'm mostly impressed by the progression of different techniques you used to get where you are now, going from jogging to weights adding diet, weighted cardio, etc. Looking at you now in your album pics, I'd never imagine you as obese as you say you were. Thank you for sharing your story.
In addition to my previous statement, another glowing endorsement of your progress is that you were mentioned as one of the hottest guys on LPSG on another post. That's huge.

DSF140

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I don't have any pics of me when I was super skinny. The reason is basically because I was absolutely, 100%, totally ashamed of how I looked. Any pics of me from that era show me wearing oversized clothes that hid my body. The worst part of the oversized clothes was that they were actually the smallest adult sized clothes that I could ever find. Everyone would tell me to buy boys' clothes (how embarrassing is that?), but those didn't fit me in the crotch (God's only break for me). The most difficult thing for me was to overcome my shame enough to hit the gym.
I was fortunate enough in college for a big buddy to practically drag me to the gym because he didn't want to work out alone (I'm guessing), and he had seen me in the public showers and told me that a guy with my endowment deserves a better body. Whatever works. But the point was that once I overcame my initial shame, I knew that I would be alright.
As @FootballBro25 pointed out, it's a combination of "diet & exercise" as the cliche goes. There is no magic pill. You can't get to a point as stop. You have to keep at it for the rest of your life. Once you reach adulthood, your body begins to deteriorate at an accelerating speed. I like the metaphor that your body is like the only car that you will ever have, and that you cannot ever trade it in for a newer model. Therefore you must treat it with kid gloves.
Probably the biggest hurdles for me, once I was able to get started, was knowing how to eat and how to train. I used to be uninterested in eating (unlike 99.99% of the human population). And once I started working out, I found myself hungry all the time, but never getting enough of the protein I needed. Then there was the problem of not knowing how to train properly. I seemed to always do too much weight and never getting to the muscle burn stage because I'd tire out beforehand.
But going in my favor is that I really like to lift. I enjoy it because I've never felt stronger or more alive that I do when I get my pump going. Of course there's the benefit that a lot of people now want to have sex with me, but the sex itself is not the primary motivator for me.

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
I don't have any pics of me when I was super skinny. The reason is basically because I was absolutely, 100%, totally ashamed of how I looked. Any pics of me from that era show me wearing oversized clothes that hid my body. The worst part of the oversized clothes was that they were actually the smallest adult sized clothes that I could ever find. Everyone would tell me to buy boys' clothes (how embarrassing is that?), but those didn't fit me in the crotch (God's only break for me). The most difficult thing for me was to overcome my shame enough to hit the gym.
I was fortunate enough in college for a big buddy to practically drag me to the gym because he didn't want to work out alone (I'm guessing), and he had seen me in the public showers and told me that a guy with my endowment deserves a better body. Whatever works. But the point was that once I overcame my initial shame, I knew that I would be alright.
As @FootballBro25 pointed out, it's a combination of "diet & exercise" as the cliche goes. There is no magic pill. You can't get to a point as stop. You have to keep at it for the rest of your life. Once you reach adulthood, your body begins to deteriorate at an accelerating speed. I like the metaphor that your body is like the only car that you will ever have, and that you cannot ever trade it in for a newer model. Therefore you must treat it with kid gloves.
Probably the biggest hurdles for me, once I was able to get started, was knowing how to eat and how to train. I used to be uninterested in eating (unlike 99.99% of the human population). And once I started working out, I found myself hungry all the time, but never getting enough of the protein I needed. Then there was the problem of not knowing how to train properly. I seemed to always do too much weight and never getting to the muscle burn stage because I'd tire out beforehand.
But going in my favor is that I really like to lift. I enjoy it because I've never felt stronger or more alive that I do when I get my pump going. Of course there's the benefit that a lot of people now want to have sex with me, but the sex itself is not the primary motivator for me.
Thanks, DSF, for that. I'm sure you're glad now your friend dragged you. You look great.
Brilliant analogy about the new car!
Good point about knowing the proper weights to train with, and muscle burn vs tiring.
Eating is an issue for everyone, either too much, not enough, or just plain wrong.

Reactions: DSF140

Plasticroad1

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
4 years ago I decided I wanted to get in shape. I hired multiple trainers and got extremely dedicated. I finally found a trainer that wasn't just looking to take my money and actually taught me what he knew while I was training with him. I went from a 150lbs skinny guy to a 175lb guy that can't get away from the gym. I've actually become an online coach and trainer now myself; I just fell in love with how I was looking and what I was doing.

bkmuscledad

Superior Member
Media
4 years ago I decided I wanted to get in shape. I hired multiple trainers and got extremely dedicated. I finally found a trainer that wasn't just looking to take my money and actually taught me what he knew while I was training with him. I went from a 150lbs skinny guy to a 175lb guy that can't get away from the gym. I've actually become an online coach and trainer now myself; I just fell in love with how I was looking and what I was doing.
That's a very encouraging story. Coming from an overweight family, I'm always surprised by the number of guys who come at it from the other side, being too skinny. I'm glad to hear that not only have you changed, but you now help others, too.

Plasticroad1

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
No Response
That's a very encouraging story. Coming from an overweight family, I'm always surprised by the number of guys who come at it from the other side, being too skinny. I'm glad to hear that not only have you changed, but you now help others, too.
Thanks man! Means a lot! A compliment can change someone's entire day!

aldawg

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay

Damn, dude...thanks for sharing....that gives me hope of improvement. With that body of yours, I thought you would be one of those guys who was an in-shape jock football star all of his life.

In the past 2 years I've lost 35 lbs and I hit the gym 4-5 times a week. Have seen definite improvement, down to a 34" waist from a 38", finally have a little definition in my arms, chest and shoulders, but still can't get rid of that extra fat layer that keeps me from looking cut.

I'm glad you've been able to create such a hot body....and that you share it with us in pics!:p

aldawg

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
My before and after pics. Always a work in progress though. Still building.

View attachment 1298828
Wow...that's amazing, dude. You have done something to be proud of with that body....congratulations! You have obviously put a lot a time and effort into that hot body....looking damn great!