Has The Alpha/beta Male Stuff Gone Too Far?

sodominsane

Legendary Member
Media
I said.... alpha applies to wolf packs, and descends in a line to dogs.
alpha does NOT apply to primates (Source: Robert Ingersoll, primate researcher and activist, and good friend)
Sorry if I got that wrong, this is not an area of expertise for me, Im kind going off what I heard in a convo and a few discovery channel docs I may or may not have fallen a sleep on

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
In what ways are we ....pretty close to chimps?

Last night I eat duck flambé

Think about how different that is from any other animal and how far we are in behavior from them

Cooking is a uniquely human activity. I'll give you that. Is it, "OMG! We're so special we must have been made in teh image of God!!!!111"? No. We cook. As far as we know we're the only animal that cooks. Other animals do season their food and some will figure out cooking if you give them the right tools, but we're the only animals that cook. Big deal. That doesn't make us special.

Reactions: BIGBULL29

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
In what ways are we ....pretty close to chimps?

Last night I eat duck flambé

Think about how different that is from any other animal and how far we are in behavior from them
Our social hierarchical patterns, 99.5 to 99.8 present of our dna aligns with chimpanzees and bonobos, our huge tendency to show our asses...hopefully only metaphorically In humans.

Reactions: wallyj84

sodominsane

Legendary Member
Media
Cooking is a uniquely human activity. I'll give you that. Is it, "OMG! We're so special we must have been made in teh image of God!!!!111"? No. We cook. As far as we know we're the only animal that cooks. Other animals do season their food and some will figure out cooking if you give them the right tools, but we're the only animals that cook. Big deal. That doesn't make us special.
You brought up god not me, from time to time a question god existence. My points have nothing to do with god

sodominsane

Legendary Member
Media
We cook. That’s all you got out of that. Not much of an abstract thinker huh.
Maybe smalls are not that different from the primates

it’s not the act of cooking. Although you pointed out no other animal does it.

but I don’t have duck in my backyard. Someone miles away raises ducks on a farm

it’s then transported to be I a mechanical vehicles that has converts energy to work....(you point out animals may some day learn to cook....maybe....but I’m betting a semi truck is a little out of there scope)

I then buy the duck at a store using an abstract construct of money as a means of exchange if good and service s

I then take it home and use the internet ( signals sent on satellite in fucking SPACE) to figure out how to cook it. Not to mention on a stove that runs on gas...no other animal has uses fire. Yet we have figured out how to safely run an explosive gas into out houses(yeah hmmmm houses) from miles away

And that’s just a scratch of the surface as to how much far removed we are from animals

not to mention the complexity of ethics that we can ponder over the moral stances of any of the thrings I did in cooking the duck.

or even the why... what kind of pretentious dick flambes a duck

Reactions: deleted924715

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media

it’s then transported to be I a mechanical vehicles that has converts energy to work....(you point out animals may some day learn to cook....maybe....but I’m betting a semi truck is a little out of there scope)

I then buy the duck at a store using an abstract construct of money as a means of exchange if good and service s

I then take it home and use the internet ( signals sent on satellite in fucking SPACE) to figure out how to cook it. Not to mention on a stove that runs on gas...no other animal has uses fire. Yet we have figured out how to safely run an explosive gas into out houses(yeah hmmmm houses) from miles away

And that’s just a scratch of the surface as to how much far removed we are from animals

not to mention the complexity of ethics that we can ponder over the moral stances of any of the thrings I did in cooking the duck.

Navel gazing.

We are born, consume food, maybe reproduce and die just like every other species on this planet. We can go over the finer details of how we do all of that and pick out the things that make us "special", but it doesn't change the fact that the underlying instincts and biological desires behind everything that we do are basically the same as every other animal. We are animals. We want to be more, but we aren't. We are monkeys with calculators.

D

deleted924715

I have soooooo much love for this post

Reactions: sodominsane

Milkdudd

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I mean, the idea of Alpha, Beta, Omega, etc when it comes to males in nature almost always has to do with access to females/dominance in an individual's pride, pack, horde, group, etc. Humans don't, and have never worked like that. We pick our mates based on peer-to-peer qualities, it's more or less mutual (disregarding arranged marriages, which are a product of advanced society, not our innate nature). Humans don't compete over mates like a goat would, or compete for leadership over a group like a chicken or lion would, we just don't work like that. So the idea of associating "shyness" or "a lack of aggressive behavior" as beta, and alpha as the opposite, is disingenuous to the human condition. Humans like to compare themselves to other animals, I mean just look at most American football, Soccer, Hockey, or Baseball teams, all named after animals. Some people just like to use "Alpha" "Beta" etc to connect themselves to something "primal". That's just not in our genealogy to act that way.