Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I always keep a pot of chives going and this year will need to re-pot some mint. Dill and rosemary do well here too but if I have dill out there, I have to make sure to have enough for the Monarch caterpillars. The do become beautiful butterflies so it's ok.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
@p0tent8 @WilliamG I am considering that very plant, rosemary, along with thyme for a second plant box.

Fresh herbs and fruits are so much better than the stores where they freeze everything and then it goes bad quickly after you get it home.
When I grill fish, I throw some rosemary on the grill to 'smoke' the flavor in!

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
@p0tent8 @WilliamG I am considering that very plant, rosemary, along with thyme for a second plant box.

Fresh herbs and fruits are so much better than the stores where they freeze everything and then it goes bad quickly after you get it home.
When looking at rosemary, find a cultivar bred for your area, or look at some of the Texas ones, “Arp” comes to mind. Heat tolerant is important.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I'll have to check it out, thank you! I definitely don't want the heat frying it to a crisp.
In CA, at most the upper would be “crunchy.” Lower branches would be better. Since it was perennial, I didn’t mind.
Alternatively, move the plant to light or dappled shade.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I always keep a pot of chives going and this year will need to re-pot some mint. Dill and rosemary do well here too but if I have dill out there, I have to make sure to have enough for the Monarch caterpillars. The do become beautiful butterflies so it's ok.
Always feed the monarchs! So much of their food is now poisoned!

T

T_Lurch

Monarch butterflies are beautiful. I rarely see them much anymore.

If hot California isn't too much for rosemary, then it should be okay here. If it seems to be getting over watered, I'll have to invest in a shade screen of some kind to put over it.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

funny/silly me
often forget 'smaller/' greensie
edible plants,are gree ns ha
silly factoc

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Monarch butterflies are beautiful. I rarely see them much anymore.

If hot California isn't too much for rosemary, then it should be okay here. If it seems to be getting over watered, I'll have to invest in a shade screen of some kind to put over it.

had
000s of xs of
BBQ STEAK with rose,on islans

prefer males,but ... ok
in fact beautiful

love meat

rosemary-tips.jpg

sprig of rosemary

p0tent8

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I'm in Florida. Winters are pretty mild but summers see blazing temps (mid 90s and up to 100°) and high humidity, so I have to be careful about plants that are intolerant of high temperatures. It is pretty dry here though during Spring, then in May/June regular thunderstorms begin and watering becomes pretty much redundant.

Hard part is remembering which plants prefer which types of soil (which I need to keep up on), have had some pretty helpful tips on here.

The rosemary plant I have doesn't mind the summer heat at all. While it doesn't stay hot here as long as it does in Florida, it does get pretty hot/humid in the summer months. Once again, I've found that water is key. I water mine everyday unless we have quite a bit of rain via thunderstorms. Also, I have mine in just a regular "potting soil mix".

Thyme is an interesting plant. The pot of it I have actually survived the winter outside and is doing fine. So I've found it to be very hardy. Also, it seems to take over the pot it's in. It has an extensive root system - very fine roots but lots of them, like steel wool.

T

T_Lurch

The rosemary plant I have doesn't mind the summer heat at all. While it doesn't stay hot here as long as it does in Florida, it does get pretty hot/humid in the summer months. Once again, I've found that water is key. I water mine everyday unless we have quite a bit of rain via thunderstorms. Also, I have mine in just a regular "potting soil mix".

Thyme is an interesting plant. The pot of it I have actually survived the winter outside and is doing fine. So I've found it to be very hardy. Also, it seems to take over the pot it's in. It has an extensive root system - very fine roots but lots of them, like steel wool.
I'll have to make sure I plant them far enough apart. I've had problems arising from plants competing with one another from root systems too close together and had to transplant them. I'm trying a large box about roughly four feet by 1½ feet wide by 1½ feet deep. From the picture you posted it looks like the rosemary gets kind of large.

Resiliency is important for me since I'm not a seasoned gardener and there are plants out there that do not like the scorching hot, jungly Florida conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

p0tent8

Expert Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
I'll have to make sure I plant them far enough apart. I've had problems arising from plants competing with one another from root systems too close together and had to transplant them. I'm trying a large box about roughly four feet by 1½ feet wide by 1½ feet deep. From the picture you posted it looks like the rosemary gets kind of large.

Resiliency is important for me since I'm not a seasoned gardener and there are plants out there that do not like the scorching hot, jungly Florida conditions.

First, don't worry about not being a seasoned gardener - you're growing herbs, so that counts - seriously, to me, the best thing about gardening is that it's low stress, simple, it's plants and dirt you can't screw it up. If it doesn't work out, plant something else or try again. Don't stress over it.

Thyme does look good in the front of a large pot/box as it has some what of a low growing cascading habit. I'll get a pic of mine when I get home.

The rosemary I have has been trained into a shrub form, I bought it that way. The smaller plants/sprigs that are available would take quite a while to reach the size of the one I have.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Kooktus! I love spring.
So many buds, gonna be a beautiful show when those flowers open. IMG_20210409_183205711~2.jpg

I love my veggie garden, but my cactus patch is still my all time favorite part of my outdoor plant-space.

EDIT: this is just the first to bud.. I have lots more cacti which should be following this little beauty soon with more buds for a nice long season of flowers to bring bees and bats. I love plants, man..

T

T_Lurch

Does anyone know of a spray/chemical that is dog repellent yet safe to use around plants?

Long story short, I'll try to be succinct. We've got new neighbors and they have the manners of Barbary apes. Their daughter takes their dog over to our front yard shrubs to piss on. My lemongrass is now dying and even if I save it, it's ruined. I'm not keen on cooking my next stir fry using lemongrass stalks with the festive flavor of dog urine.

I'm not looking to harm the dog, just discourage it from using our plants as a latrine.

Reactions: rbkwp