House plants/gardening

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Does anyone know of a spray/chemical that is dog repellent yet safe to use around plants?

Long story short, I'll try to be succinct. We've got new neighbors and they have the manners of Barbary apes. Their daughter takes their dog over to our front yard shrubs to piss on. My lemongrass is now dying and even if I save it, it's ruined. I'm not keen on cooking my next stir fry using lemongrass stalks with the festive flavor of dog urine.

I'm not looking to harm the dog, just discourage it from using our plants as a latrine.

sorry/sad to hear of yet another human behaviuor deterioatin episode tl

seems the dogs virtually
'being trained' to do its business on your shrubs

if thats the case no amount of dterrent needed for the animal

thre human needs to be confronted wth a camera and mentionn of the photo being placed on a social media group
do it several times if neccesary

no sympathy,for nlatant bad human behaviour
up to you to train the human marey

Reactions: T_Lurch
T

T_Lurch

sorry/sad to hear of yet another human behaviuor deterioatin episode tl

seems the dogs virtually
'being trained' to do its business on your shrubs

if thats the case no amount of dterrent needed for the animal

thre human needs to be confronted wth a camera and mentionn of the photo being placed on a social media group
do it several times if neccesary

no sympathy,for nlatant bad human behaviour
up to you to train the human marey
That's unfortunate if that's the case. I'm not on any social media (unless you count LPSG) but I'm hoping to avoid confrontation since it could escalate, and I don't want a war with these people.

I might have be crafty in coming up with a solution, though I don't want to hurt the dog; my beef is with the idiot neighbors.

Reactions: rbkwp

DiomedesXVI

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
So glad this thread is around. I’ve always loved plants and so did my mom. After my mom passed from COVID in February, I learned from my dad that when they met, her aspiration was actually to be a horticulturist. Then she had us kids and just picked up any job she qualified for - cleaning lady, receptionist, secretary.

She never got to return to her aspirations of being a horticulturist, though. So keeping houseplants, which I already did pre-COVID for years now, has now come to have a little more meaning to me as a way of staying connected to her. I tend to do pretty well with my plantcare, but for the love of all that is holy, I cannot get my recently purchased basil plant to thrive.

At first I noticed it was droopy, found out it was underwatered due to how the basket it came in didn’t retain water well. So my bf and I bought a new pot, though it was far too big, so I ended up buying some potting soil and replanting the basil plant into the big pot. But, I’m still having problems with getting it to thrive. It’s still drooping and acting as if underwatered, but it is definitely amply watered. So I can’t figure out what’s wrong.

Any ideas?

T

T_Lurch

So glad this thread is around. I’ve always loved plants and so did my mom. After my mom passed from COVID in February, I learned from my dad that when they met, her aspiration was actually to be a horticulturist. Then she had us kids and just picked up any job she qualified for - cleaning lady, receptionist, secretary.

She never got to return to her aspirations of being a horticulturist, though. So keeping houseplants, which I already did pre-COVID for years now, has now come to have a little more meaning to me as a way of staying connected to her. I tend to do pretty well with my plantcare, but for the love of all that is holy, I cannot get my recently purchased basil plant to thrive.

At first I noticed it was droopy, found out it was underwatered due to how the basket it came in didn’t retain water well. So my bf and I bought a new pot, though it was far too big, so I ended up buying some potting soil and replanting the basil plant into the big pot. But, I’m still having problems with getting it to thrive. It’s still drooping and acting as if underwatered, but it is definitely amply watered. So I can’t figure out what’s wrong.

Any ideas?
As Scarletbegonia advised me above, remember to scissor off the little white blooms on the basil. The plant starts wilting after they bloom. It'll always sprout these, so you'll have to do this every time they bloom.

The plant may also be temporarily shocked from being transplanted, this happens a lot with plants when they're dug up and moved.

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
That's unfortunate if that's the case. I'm not on any social media (unless you count LPSG) but I'm hoping to avoid confrontation since it could escalate, and I don't want a war with these people.

I might have be crafty in coming up with a solution, though I don't want to hurt the dog; my beef is with the idiot neighbors.

oh no
i never meant that you actually do that tl
was hoping the mere mention/threat,would suffice
sounds like she/her family need training,not the dog

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

Any ideas?

so sorry to hear of your loss of a mum,such treasures

DiomedesXVI

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
As Scarletbegonia advised me above, remember to scissor off the little white blooms on the basil. The plant starts wilting after they bloom. It'll always sprout these, so you'll have to do this every time they bloom.

The plant may also be temporarily shocked from being transplanted, this happens a lot with plants when they're dug up and moved.
It might be shock then, it isn’t blooming currently.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
It might be shock then, it isn’t blooming currently.
Basil is so picky.
The toddler of herbs.
Is it well fed? Is it too wet? Did your roots look like a network of white when you replanted?
Any of it leggy?
Was it soil or hydroponically started?

rbkwp

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
20 Perennial Vegetables to Plant This Spring
These plants are the gifts that keep giving for years to come.
By
Elizabeth Waddington

oe5LOK98z8vVF0WONgp4upOOBmX9X85F7GQv1K7uG18A_tckjBAsozNv_6KGX4iJug9_e2GyzEfJS1ITJvLxml3BgaD4SSeCAJ9Zkx4OKT8xDYzSOQ2nEu2AQlozCBhv_NrPNjm2ju7QH_hHknw2b8fh_xMneNVfEUv04mAO_n4pygKH3LA=s0-d-e1-ft

Artichoke.

no cenuong
please dont deny me'i especially like being 1/2 cooked/stir flyed number 13 plis
thanks

20 Perennial Vegetables to Plant This Spring

Last edited:

Coronahead

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

Any ideas?

I'm sorry to hear about your mum, it's really tragic how many people have been lost to covid. It's a nice thing that you can think of her when you garden and take care of plants.

With your basil plant, I think I noticed you live in Alberta, you must be keeping this plant inside. I've tried keeping basil inside in the Canadian winters its very difficult to keep them going, they just seem to sense it's not the right climate. You could try a grow light, certainly keep it in the most sunny location in your house. What they really like is to be outside in the full hot sun, well watered in good soil, then they seem to thrive. I've had better luck through the Canadian winter months keeping a rosemary plant going, but by spring it's desperate to get outside into the natural sunlight.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual

Any ideas?

You likely need to get it a whole lot more light than it's getting, and try to keep it from getting colder than 65° F. If it gets below 50, it will certainly stunt the plant and it may not be a productive grower if it regularly gets colder it wants to.

Keep it well watered, but also keep the potting soil well drained and avoid soggy roots. They like lots of water, but to kinda dry out a bit in between. Staying wet constantly will rot the roots.

❤️

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
@T_Lurch - I have had good luck with pepper tea. Water, vinegar and hot peppers *split length wise* allowed to steep 24 hours.

Also sprinkling chili pepper flakes on soil.

Neither option will hurt a pupper the scent is just crazy powerful. I prefer the tea cuz the scent carries without the doggo having to get too close.

Maybe a sign for the human: I don't piss in your fridge, please don't let your doggo pee in my garden.

My hood everyone has an area at the walk line that are acceptable for dog visits. I have a patch of crazy ground cover.

T

T_Lurch

@T_Lurch - I have had good luck with pepper tea. Water, vinegar and hot peppers *split length wise* allowed to steep 24 hours.

Also sprinkling chili pepper flakes on soil.

Neither option will hurt a pupper the scent is just crazy powerful. I prefer the tea cuz the scent carries without the doggo having to get too close.
That's good and worth a try. I know their noses are far more sensitive than ours.

I never want to harm an animal, even if their owners are shitheads. I even place mothballs around our doors outside to keep the lizards from entering the house. It works; they don't like the smell and there's no need for traps.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Basil is so picky.
The toddler of herbs.
Is it well fed? Is it too wet? Did your roots look like a network of white when you replanted?
Any of it leggy?
Was it soil or hydroponically started?
I'm with you on basil. If I grow it from a nursery supplied pot... No problem. But the ones the little cups from the supermarket? They last a few weeks on the window sill. Never transplant well.

T

T_Lurch

I'm with you on basil. If I grow it from a nursery supplied pot... No problem. But the ones the little cups from the supermarket? They last a few weeks on the window sill. Never transplant well.
I purchased mine from a nursery. Our mint was purchased from the garden center of a hardware store and it has done well.

I'm a little skeptical about supermarket herbs, as I'm not sure what conditions they're kept in prior to arriving at the store.

T

T_Lurch

The lemongrass the dog pissed in survived and bounced back, though I'm not sure if they'll retain their original flavor or end up tasting like dog piss.

Last thing I wanna do is cook up some nice pho or stir fry and have that flavor mixed in there.

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
Those are nice!

Cacti and succulents do pretty well in Florida soil as well. I've seen them planted here and there sometimes near the beach. Red and sometimes yellow crown blooms on them.

These barrel cacti definitely prefer to be next to rocks, every time I see one here it's either next to a rock-patch or it's straight up growing out of a cracked boulder.

I love seeing the different species in different parts of the state and how differently they grow. It's definitely on my list of life dreams to explore the plant life of Florida. It's a MUST DO for me.