MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I'm curious about how, and over what, people nerd out on/over. I love horror themed movies and tv shows. I spaz over jigsaw puzzles. I would spend many happy hours in a bookstore. A yarn shop is a tactile bliss to me.

So, how do you nerd?

I nerd out over food science. Figuring out why it's better to prepare a food one way over another way, the best way to store a food and why. Why Dutch processed cocoa powder for some things and not others. Baking. So much science. Learning why for all of the food things. Serious Eats, Cook's Illustrated, Bon Appetite, all my jam. Love love love.

Nail polishes and yarn make me want all of the colors, textures, glitters, etc. as appropriate for if it's nail polish or if it's yarn. I ogle hand dyed and/or spun yarn on Etsy and get stuck going down a rabbit hole of pretty fiber.

Books. Doesn't matter if it's a genre I tend to read or not. Libraries, book stores, second hand, etc. Love my Kindle, but love touching pages. New book smell. Vocabulary. Leather covers. Elegant fonts. I am jealous of Beast's library in the Disney Beauty and the Beast. I like to look at books even if I wouldn't likely read it. Love to actually read too, of course. Second hand places are fun, you never know what you'll find.

thisguy805

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
As a mechanic, I nerd out so hard on the tool truck that stops by my work. My face lights up when the new ads come out. I spend so much money on tools every year.

In case anyone hasn't noticed, I love stormtroopers.

I watch The Big Bang Theory religiously.

palakaorion

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
My job puts me waist deep in nerdiness and nerdyfolken. (software development)

I does like me some good sci-fi entertainment. Sadly there really isn't much to be had, The Expanse on SyFy (and soon to be Amazon Prime) being a notable exception.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
Bibliophile checking in. Got a strong love for the antiquarian books. I eat books up like candy though so I'm not always picky. Sometimes I just go to flea markets and buy up whatever looks good for a dollar a piece.

I love depression era glass.

Also.....love giallo movies. Italian horror stuff, I guess, and anything influenced by that genre. Fave director: Mario Bava. He was a painter at one point. I want to live in a house lit by him.

Old records, especially Mozart played by Glenn Gould. I also like Erik Satie. Anything piano.

I like making my own paper from dryer lint and taking photos from box cameras I contstructed.

Computerised gadgets and fixing cars or just fixing stuff. I love fixing broken things even people although I've never suceeded fixing broken people lol

Reactions: LaFemme and 1209489

englad

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
I am a MASSIVE documentary nerd. I absolutely love find out information about other people's lives, history, culture etc. I crave knowledge and information. I love it when I'm able to have epiphany moments where I feel I understand the world better.

Plus languages are a major one for me. I adore having multilingual conversations and talking about that topic.

ManofThunder

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I'm probably most nerdy about art. I really love the creative, practical side of art and I'm also capable of boring people to tears, talking about it. I recently had a long discussion about ugly album art. (Iron Maiden's 'Dance of Death' ranked highly for me.)

MisterB

Worshipped Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Crossword puzzle Junkie here. Only solve the expert/challenger (well, I try, but don't always succeed). Only use ink. I have invested in a bottle of white out for those times I can no longer read my "corrections"! I've been known to work on a particularly difficult/clever/challenging crossword for a week or more. Rarely will I ever look up an answer. I will, however, surf the net and learn about that I don't know as I'm trying to solve the puzzle. I'm especially drawn to themed puzzles that make me think!

I like to sew. I've been sewing since I was 20. Self-taught. I've been known to disappear for hours while I create whatever it is I'm working on. I find it so relaxing and somewhat stimulating at the same time, if that makes any sense. I'm in my zone when I sew. Or maybe I just zone out?

Books. Reading. Love biographies about people I think I know about but realize I didn't after reading about them. Reading was my savior/passion growing up. I work every day trying to instill a love of reading in my fourth grader. She's turning into quite a good reader. I think my plan is working; makes me so proud!

Media
“This one time at Banned Camp...”
animated-laughing-image-0175.gif

ronin001

Mythical Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Cammer
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Where do I start, I love comic books, my biggest rave these last few years is to wait till a superhero movie come out, so I can explain to everyone why the movie differs from the comic books, then I show the the comic book as proof. Throw in Sci Fi in general , I love Star Trek. Sci Fi cartoons, Japanese Anime. and a lot more

I had to throw in that I l love this candy :)

upload_2018-7-20_20-45-59.jpeg

Khegan

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
60% Gay, 40% Straight
OK, time to let the flag fly...

MCU fanboy (yes, I admit it)
Any other superhero stuff that's not MCU is fine too (usually)
Organ music (pipe organ, not that other organ :p )
Classical music in general, but especially Renaissance and early/pre-Baroque choral works
Gregorian Chant
Psychological thrillers, especially sci-fi. (Black Mirror & Altered Carbon are most recent viewings)
MMORPGs and SPRPGs
Picross/Nonograms/Griddlers (seriously I can do these all day)
Disney (but not everything, just passionate about the stuff I like)
The "Nationality" tries "Nationality foods" videos on Youtube. (those things are quite fascinating)
Cats and Kittens (but then who isn't )

That's enough for now, LOL

I used to play a lot more than I do now, but video games have been a really formative presence in my life, and I love playing through smaller, more experimental games alongside mainstays like Legend of Zelda (the latest entry of which is beautiful btw)

I'm a massive bookwork - primarily non-fiction, and especially anything related to the sciences. Lately I've been reading through Siddhartha Mukherjee's The Gene: An Intimate History, and I'm incredibly impressed with his ability to weave a coherent narrative out of all of the historical actors in the history of the field.

And maybe the last year working as a math tutor has informed this one, but mathematics is a huge passion of mine right now, too. A number of mathematicians would jump to beauty or elegance as the primary draws of the subject, but for me, the process of finding a problem, looking for a solution, and putting that result into the context of a bigger picture really tick all same the mental boxes that puzzle-solving does for me - but with math, the results are typically more far-reaching and significant; they don't exist in a vacuum like the solution to a puzzle does.

Where do I start, I love comic books, my biggest rave these last few years is to wait till a superhero movie come out, so I can explain to everyone why the movie differs from the comic books, then I show the the comic book as proof. Throw in Sci Fi in general , I love Star Trek. Sci Fi cartoons, Japanese Anime. and a lot more

I had to throw in that I l love this candy :)

View attachment 1188518
I know so many people like you lol! I like comics too! Been to a couple Comic Cons. Big Superman fan too.

Reactions: ronin001

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I nerd on horror flicks and other creepy things. Yes. I am aware that Halloween is only one day a year. Not in my mind.

I nerd on plants. I love tending to them, watching them grow, propagation, it's all very relaxing to me.

I nerd on marijuana. I don't think I need to elaborate. I never shut up about it.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
I nerd on horror flicks and other creepy things. Yes. I am aware that Halloween is only one day a year. Not in my mind.

I nerd on plants. I love tending to them, watching them grow, propagation, it's all very relaxing to me.

I nerd on marijuana. I don't think I need to elaborate. I never shut up about it.

What's your favorite scary movie? *ghostface voice*

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I have so many. I liked the new It movie, even though too many jump scares and a bit too much CGI.

The Strangers is another contemporary fave.

Of COURSE, The Silence of the Lambs!

Older fave, one of them, Black Sunday (1960)

Also love Profundo Russo (Deep Red)

I love scary movies too! I like to be scared...even though it scares me :blush:

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual
I love scary movies too! I like to be scared...even though it scares me :blush:

I don't get scared. It's a vicarious thrill kinda thing. I'm always the one rooting for the bad guy. :skull::imp::bomb:

What's your favorite scary movie? *ghostface voice*

Sorry, couldn't resist!

I have so many. I liked the new It movie, even though too many jump scares and a bit too much CGI.

The Strangers is another contemporary fave.

Of COURSE, The Silence of the Lambs!

Older fave, one of them, Black Sunday (1960)

Also love Profundo Russo (Deep Red)

Wasssuuuuupp?!?! :p

The Exorcist is just a classic comedy to lil ol me, I love it so much and I laugh so hard every time I watch it. It's kinda fucked up :eek:

I really love the movies Rob Zombie directed, he did what I've been waiting for... I already loved the original Halloween movies, Micheal Meyers has always been a favorite character of mine. The way he went into his childhood and elaborated on his story got me all hooked.

I think it's getting watched again tonight after work.