I Don’t Know Where To Start

Testingitnow

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
How is it going, @Testingitnow ?
Thanks for checking in on me.

There aren’t any major updates, however I did manage to get a job. I’m now able to spend money towards a meal plan.
I do want to take it slow, so right now I’m focusing on lunch meals. I’d figure this would be a good place to start for me instead of breakfast, dinner or snacks since I don’t prepare meals at home for work; I have to rely on fast food stores. So I thought focusing on my lunch meals would be an easy way to cut out fast food since I don’t eat it any other time

I still have to learn/find new recipes so it may take a little while to see what works best for me

Dave NoCal

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
A word of caution about diet. I am still skinny but was once young, too. It can be a temptation to try to gain weight through calorie-dense nutrition. I have read, and it seems to have been true for m, that our mid-twenties is a window of time in which we are likely to grow additional fat cells (Hint" They won't be where you want them) and gaining weight during that time period can result in localized fat deposits that are difficult, if not impossible, to diet away. Being slender is actually better for overall health and lifetime fitness. I suggest not worrying about gaining weight. If you are an ectomorph (naturally slender) it is highly unlikely that you will become a mesomorph (naturally muscular) regardless of exercise and diet. Try to eat things your grandparents would have. Try to avoid all fast food and stuff that you can buy at a convenience store. Exercise in ways that are enjoyable, productive, and help you enjoy friendships. The pandemic will end.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I’ve ruminated on DaveNoCal’s comment.
My exhusband is a very slender to skinny male who had lean muscle. On most people, it would never had been seen, but he had very little body fat.
His muscle was from activity. His lack of fat from not drinking much (and years at a time he’d be a non drinker...he had other ways of escaping), not liking fast food, and his activity.

If he had wanted to be a “workout guy,” I think he’d have been able to change some muscle shape, but I can’t see his frame holding the bulgy muscles so many seem to go for.

we did hours of aerobic activity in day to day life. He was a social dancer (but think Grateful Dead. We put miles and hours on our feet). We walked a lot as local transportation, and as head clearing.

The men I know now who built bodies in younger years are all soft and sloppy.

Make a plan that can adapt for life and many of its curveballs.

domeboy

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I’ve ruminated on DaveNoCal’s comment.
My exhusband is a very slender to skinny male who had lean muscle. On most people, it would never had been seen, but he had very little body fat.
His muscle was from activity. His lack of fat from not drinking much (and years at a time he’d be a non drinker...he had other ways of escaping), not liking fast food, and his activity.

If he had wanted to be a “workout guy,” I think he’d have been able to change some muscle shape, but I can’t see his frame holding the bulgy muscles so many seem to go for.

we did hours of aerobic activity in day to day life. He was a social dancer (but think Grateful Dead. We put miles and hours on our feet). We walked a lot as local transportation, and as head clearing.

The men I know now who built bodies in younger years are all soft and sloppy.

Make a plan that can adapt for life and many of its curveballs.
After 40 years of athletics including serious weight training, I can tell you I still have a great muscular body according to people I meet and know. People want to know how I do it, I tell them, no drinking, healthy but not too strict diet, intense frequent exercise, lots of sex and mental activity.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
After 40 years of athletics including serious weight training, I can tell you I still have a great muscular body according to people I meet and know. People want to know how I do it, I tell them, no drinking, healthy but not too strict diet, intense frequent exercise, lots of sex and mental activity.
Why did you quote my comment?

Delphi213

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I would first say realize any fitness journey is about you. Do not compare yourself to others in the gym, in ads, on social media, or ever. It is about you and your progress in what you wish to accomplish. I didn’t start working out until I was 30 because I always thought people would be snickering at me saying “look at the fat kid trying to get in shape.” It was all in my head and many people are quite encouraging.

When starting out, focus on a schedule that works for you. Whether it is in the morning or evening, find the schedule that will work for you to get it done. You will need to adapt your life to implement it which will mean sacrifices in other areas. I like early morning workouts which means I tend to get to bed early which sacrifices time with loved ones and friends in the evenings. I may still do things but i then tend to use the next day as an off day if I’m out late.

If you join a gym, just showing up is half the battle. You will have good and bad days; days when you can run forever and days when you can barely walk (lookout for the days after legs). But show up and keep your schedule no matter what.

Listen to your body. Your body will tell you what you can do. Sure, push yourself but don’t sacrifice safety. That’s how injuries will occur (and they will occur).

there are tons of ways to train. Strength, stamina, bodybuilding, etc. you will eventually learn what you like and what your goals are which is why it is important to never compare yourself to others.

Read a lot of articles. Exercise routines, supplements, nutrition. Just read and use the advice that works best for you. Mens Health, Muscular Development etc are good generic resources. Lots of people have philosophies but look to the messages that are consistent between them all. Over time, you will develop routines in line with your goals.

Genetics matter. Not everyone is born to be a lean cardio machine not are we all born to be a hulking beast. Learn and understand what you are capable of achieving and accept that.

I started on cardio. I watched others (non creepy) and saw what they did during their workout. I learned from them. Then went to machines. Then To free weights as I was intimidated by them the most. Now, they’re my favorite.

so start by showing up. It’s the first step. Good luck!

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
That doesn’t change my experience, and proves my bit about having something lifelong.