goodandbed

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Verification
View
It's been a dream of mine for like ever to gain muscles and be bigger. I'm quite a tall guy (6'5) and I'm very slim, weak and insecure. I really want to go to the gym but whenever I get enough courage to do so - I quit after a month or so because I don't see results. Now, I know 1 month isn't really enough and I'm not asking for ways to grow faster but I'm just curious to know if anyone had a similar starting point to mine and would like to share some progress or tips on how to keep yourself motivated?

Reactions: camiloramorim

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Here's my story:
I'm 6'2" and I was very skinny from my teenage years into my 40s. Everyone said, "You will fatten up when you hit 40" but it never happened. I always had a huge appetite and ate whatever and whenever I wanted. At 45, I weighed 155 #. I was always physically active, but I didn't run or lift weights.

Then at age 48, my job changed and I was less physically active than before and I put on 15# of belly, my BP and cholesterol went way up and my doctor sent me to a cardiologist, who sent me to a gym!

Within a few months, I lost the belly and started gaining a lot of muscle in my arms, chest, back and legs. Within about 3 years, I weighed 190# and still had the same waist size as at age 40.

Now at age 69, almost 30 after going to the gym, I weigh 195 even after a year away from the gym due to Covid.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
At a month, you should have a sense if you enjoy the prices and experience of being in a gym, and if you truly want to continue.

what makes you say you need courage to go work out? Is your gym focused on certain clientele, such as body builders aiming to simply be big? Or is it sort of a meat(head) market?
Is it busy? Cliquish?

are there other options locally?

it would be helpful to have a pic of something not a dick shot to tell your general build. From your legs, I’m not seeing anything unattractive, but I’m unwilling to hang with dick pix, so it was a glance.

Plenty of people like slender with tone!

Reactions: WilliamG and b3ar

jtheimpaler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
It's been a dream of mine for like ever to gain muscles and be bigger. I'm quite a tall guy (6'5) and I'm very slim, weak and insecure. I really want to go to the gym but whenever I get enough courage to do so - I quit after a month or so because I don't see results. Now, I know 1 month isn't really enough and I'm not asking for ways to grow faster but I'm just curious to know if anyone had a similar starting point to mine and would like to share some progress or tips on how to keep yourself motivated?

If your motivation is down you should question your goals….

Getting bigger / wanting more mass etc are often things some men will say when the core of the issue is actually body confidence, or confidence full stop. If they then expect overnight results it’s easy to see why they then fail.

love your body now, and focus on the positives hitting the weights brings you in the moment, feeling of success etc focus on what you are lifting and your ability to lift and you will see more progress…. And the body will catch up

b3ar

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I had the same thing when I started. Seeing all of the people looking big, buff and beautiful intimidated me at 1st. I was off and on in the gym for about a year or so because of it but then ended up using it as motivation/fuel. After that, I stuck with it and within 3 months, I saw a BIG change. Start by setting up a 3 month workout plan and follow it as best as possible. It helps if you have a goal and game plan in front of you instead of just shooting in the dark and hoping for the best to happen.

goodandbed

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Verification
View
I had the same thing when I started. Seeing all of the people looking big, buff and beautiful intimidated me at 1st. I was off and on in the gym for about a year or so because of it but then ended up using it as motivation/fuel. After that, I stuck with it and within 3 months, I saw a BIG change. Start by setting up a 3 month workout plan and follow it as best as possible. It helps if you have a goal and game plan in front of you instead of just shooting in the dark and hoping for the best to happen.

I think my main problems are insecurity and jealousy. I need to overcome these two in addition to working out. I don't know how long this journy is going to take (and it's probably a never-ending one) - but I sure do know my starting point is bad. I'm completely out of shape, I'm not fat, not too skinny and definitely not muscular. I really do hope to see changes, just to keep myself motivated or at least find motivation whenever it gets harder for me to keep up or dealing with not seeing results.

But I'm optimistic. Thank you!

Reactions: paruk

jtheimpaler

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I think my main problems are insecurity and jealousy. I need to overcome these two in addition to working out. I don't know how long this journy is going to take (and it's probably a never-ending one) - but I sure do know my starting point is bad. I'm completely out of shape, I'm not fat, not too skinny and definitely not muscular. I really do hope to see changes, just to keep myself motivated or at least find motivation whenever it gets harder for me to keep up or dealing with not seeing results.

Finding a training partner will also help you

someone to keep you accountable, question why you haven’t been, use that guilt complex for good….

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight

If you don't know your way around a gym (and maybe even if you do...) a great way to deal the insecurity is to get the services of a trainer. You will need to focus on what he's telling you and that will distract you from the insecurity while he is also a buffer between you and the other patrons of your gym.

Reactions: paruk

ASexMrHung1

Loved Member
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay

I suggest you just join a CrossFit gym to start. You can go and have someone show you what to do and push you to get better. With a good diet it takes around 150 hours of training to transform your body. You can do that in a year.

paruk

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight

If you can afford it hire a personal trainer for 3/4 months. Also, if you tend to be slim you have to eat in a certain way to be able to put on mass. There are several books around to explain how to calculate Kcal and macros depending on a few factors. If you go on Amazon and do a search u ll find those with more reviews and higher rating and can choose among them.

goodandbed

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Verification
View
If you can afford it hire a personal trainer for 3/4 months. Also, if you tend to be slim you have to eat in a certain way to be able to put on mass. There are several books around to explain how to calculate Kcal and macros depending on a few factors. If you go on Amazon and do a search u ll find those with more reviews and higher rating and can choose among them.

What if I can't afford a personal trainer?

paruk

Sexy Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
What if I can't afford a personal trainer?

I would buy one of those books and spend a bit of time on YouTube to understand the lifting techniques, tips and common mistakes for any given exercise. A website I found helpful a few years ago is exrx.net, very basic in its graphic but to the point in its content.

ASexMrHung1

Loved Member
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
If you consume more protein and fat and less simple carbs, you’ll gain weight but so much of it is genetics and nothing we can do about that.

With crossfit, I think it’s just the most efficient way for someone who has never taken working out seriously, To get into shape.

ASexMrHung1

Loved Member
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I think my genetics are fine, looking at all my family. It took my brothers about a year or so to change their bodies completely, from skinny to buff - so I have high hopes lol
See my first post. ~150 hours. Get it dude. Few things as satisfying as feeling like a physical specimen haha