I Really Need And Want To Workout

D

deleted500031

Hi goodandbed. As someone with motivation issues I can relate to your situation.

I’m surprised that, after a month of training, you don’t see any changes at all. It is a short timescale and any improvements would be very slight, but I think you should see some changes in your body - even if certain areas just seem a little more toned than they were before.

I agree that a PT would be useful, even just a single session if money is tight. They can help you develop a basic routine to get the ball rolling and ensure you are using your time in the gym effectively, which maybe hasn’t been happening. If you can get yourself to a point where you notice that yeah, your shoulders do look a little bit bigger for example, I reckon that will spur you on to continue. Then you can start developing better routines, fine tuning your diet, etc for some serious growth.

Dutchstud

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Just keep going and do not forget the cardio as part of the routine. Developing muscles is quite nice but one needs to burn away some fat to see them.

In two months one should notice improvements. If not visible, then certainly conditional: "Hey, I can climb stairs without puffing..."

Reactions: ChicagoPole
D

deleted5199391

Imho, it's better if you start practicing a sport that you like. I can't last in a weight lifting gym because it's boring to me.
Put me in a combat sport training camp and I'll train like I have nothing else to do in my life.
Find the thing that you like and your body will get better.

ASexMrHung1

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Just keep going and do not forget the cardio as part of the routine. Developing muscles is quite nice but one needs to burn away some fat to see them.

In two months one should notice improvements. If not visible, then certainly conditional: "Hey, I can climb stairs without puffing..."

Cardio is important but he should try and focus on muscle building, as the more muscle you have the more calories you burn.

Alos what Daemon said, boxing and BJJ are fantastic

Reactions: Dutchstud

Hi goodandbed. As someone with motivation issues I can relate to your situation.

I’m surprised that, after a month of training, you don’t see any changes at all. It is a short timescale and any improvements would be very slight, but I think you should see some changes in your body - even if certain areas just seem a little more toned than they were before.

I agree that a PT would be useful, even just a single session if money is tight. They can help you develop a basic routine to get the ball rolling and ensure you are using your time in the gym effectively, which maybe hasn’t been happening. If you can get yourself to a point where you notice that yeah, your shoulders do look a little bit bigger for example, I reckon that will spur you on to continue. Then you can start developing better routines, fine tuning your diet, etc for some serious growth.
That's good advice and well said. Sometimes even a compliment from someone who can see our progress, can give us that spark we need to keep putting in the work.

ryans138

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I've been training for a very long time. My pictures back me up on this. I move some pretty heavy weights and have the size that goes with it.

I mention those to establish that I have some idea of what I'm talking about. Because while some of the advice in this thread is terrific... a lot of it is terrible or doesn't pertain to your question at all.

You wanted to know how to stayed motivated. The thing about motivation is that it usually works in short bursts. A couple weeks. Maybe a couple months. And then it fades. You've experienced it yourself. So how do you stayed motivated?

You don't. Because you won't need motivation once you make training a habit.

Once you make training, eating, resting a part of your regular habits, motivation isn't that big of a deal anymore. You don't need to get motivated to do things because you just do them. Like brushing your teeth or getting coffee from the same place or whatever.

I've been training for 30 years. Motivation to train has no role in my life unless I have a competition coming up. Yet I keep doing what I do because they're habits... and they're just what I do.

Reactions: 51arledge

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A survey found that the number one reason people quit strength training programs is because they don’t make progress. The number one reason they don’t make progress is because they don’t challenge themselves to lift more than they can.

Reactions: 51arledge

Just do it. EVERYONE in the gym is there for the same reason and at different stages. Even the most jacked dudes are probably still a work in progress. You need to get dedicated and get a good nutrition plan in place. Put your head down and work for a week. Then do it it again the next week. And just keep going. Don’t focus on 3 years from now or 25 lbs of muscle. Focus on what you want to have accomplished tomorrow or next week or next month.

Finding a good community or workout partner would help too. Accountability never hurts.

And just remember: If it was easy, everyone would do it.

cantaloupe

Expert Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Hey, I used to go to the gym and sticking to a schedule helped. I worked out every 2nd day after breakfast. That helped because I'm a horrible procrastinator.

I don't have a gym membership now so recently I started looking at some workouts on youtube and that helps too. I need the instruction, music and routine to keep up. I'm also slim but I just want a lean athletic body, not necessarily bulking up.

Have you started working out yet? How are you coming along with your plans?