Is there really such a thing as bi-sexual?

Could you elaborate on this? English isn't my mother tongue, hence I didn't get what you were trying to tell me.

One paragraph

Two paragraph

Three paragraph

Yawn..... upload_2016-9-24_3-32-43.jpeg

Four paragraph

Five paragraph......

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...Why do we need to convince others? There will always be others who do not agree. You don't agree with me? It's ok, just do not try to tell me you are right and what I believe is wrong.

My Dad and Mum built a shack on what is now Brisbane city 60 years ago, when you could do that. Build up, from nothing. Now we all are told we need to borrow, start from the top.

Off centre to the argument I know, but we are continually being told who we should be, being told, being told, being told.

Last edited by a moderator:

One paragraph

Two paragraph

Three paragraph

Yawn..... View attachment 543368

Four paragraph

Five paragraph......

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...Why do we need to convince others? There will always be others who do not agree. You don't agree with me? It's ok, just do not try to tell me you are right and what I believe is wrong.

My Dad and Mum built a shack on what is now Brisbane city 60 years ago, when you could do that. Build up, from nothing. Now we all are told we need to borrow, start from the top.

Off centre to the argument I know, but we are continually being told who we should be, being told, being told, being told.

Vabrationzzz - back to your coffin. We are happy with who you are and hope you are just as happy.

However, our discussions are focused on learning how you (and we) got to be the way we are. Eventually that may make us control freaks but right now we are just considering how complicated people are.

frank-ernest.jpg

Crimsonlurker

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Let me firstly clarify by saying of course I believe a person can be attracted to more than one gender, and that gender alone is not always the deciding factor on who you feel attracted and connected to.

My question is, can bi-sexually truly be equal in terms of liking each gender exactly the same amount, or is there a natural inclination to sway more to one gender than the other?

As a straight woman who sees both the pros and cons of each male and female, I find it intriguing that someone could like them exactly 50/50 with no overall inclination for one over the other.

Note: I am talking an overall, not a case by case preference.

I'm guessing that's largely the problem. With a topic so specific but put in broad terms, this was bound to go off the rails. Of course people can like/desire/be attracted to both genders equally. Happens all the time. Just like heterosexuals can only be attracted to their opposite sex and homosexuals the same. Not only is it possible but highly likely and thats because of how dynamic human beings can be in general.

And yeah i have no clue what you mean by pros and cons in that context. Those things also differ from person to person and generally signing those labels to either would be a mistake. Not all guys and not all women will/are blank. Same as not all bisexual people will have an equal like/desire/attraction for blank. All of that being further proof of just how dynamic the human race can be.

Now if we're talking odds then thats a different discussion entirely. Generally speaking though, yes it's entirely possible. Why wouldn't it be?

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Sure, but I guess we need to seperate institutional discrimination from individual homophobia. Especially since not every country or even region is the same. Is it homophobic to be blind to systemic oppression? I don't think so. Most people are blind to hell of a lot of things.
Besides that you need to keep in my that we literally are living in a time of changes regarding homosexuality. Things don't change over night, it takes generations to fully change the general view and way of thinking (or go back to the old ones, gj Russia).

Even if change doesn't happen overnight, it's too easy to run the risk of accepting the neoliberal answer of "Let's do it tomorrow", tomorrow turning into, "Let's be reasonable about this", which of course turns into, "Well we don't ACTUALLY need any of these reforms, maybe next decade!" If we don't force change, it will not happen whatsoever. We must be militant with our demands.

As far as homophobia versus heterosexism, I will provide an example. I had a co-worker (now since fired), that would stare at me while I was changing, particularly my crotch and ass. As soon as I was covered, he would start screaming at me about it. "YOU CAN'T BE THAT NAKED DOWN HERE!" Even though we were all in our underwear. It was something different each time, but in general it was rage at how my naked body made him feel. It was homophobic...a personal and psychological fear of homosexual relations.

But it wasn't heterosexist, as far as I can tell anyway. He fully acknowledged my attraction toward men all of the time, and he understood that my queerness impacted the rest of my life in a myriad of ways. Like how my kitchen uses heterosexual flirting as a group bonding experience, one that I am excluded from because I am queer. Even if I am included, it's very awkwardly, in jest, or even to tell me off. Much of the time, the line cooks even use homophobic jokes to relieve stress...directly in front of me. These are things that heterosexists, like some of my co-workers, are blind to.. A heterosexist will not see the policing or exclusion I experience as a queer individual. They will not see how one-sided these situations are. They will view my queer feelings and queer attitudes as inappropriate. Even if they're not afraid of those feelings or attitudes, they will still put effort into suppressing them.

A homophobic person believes their own queerness to be inappropriate, and this necessitates self-loathing and fear. A heterosexist believes another's queerness to be inappropriate. Whether or not they're afraid of that queerness is optional, thus becoming a separate question entirely.

Snakebyte

Superior Member
Media
Even if change doesn't happen overnight, it's too easy to run the risk of accepting the neoliberal answer of "Let's do it tomorrow", tomorrow turning into, "Let's be reasonable about this", which of course turns into, "Well we don't ACTUALLY need any of these reforms, maybe next decade!" If we don't force change, it will not happen whatsoever. We must be militant with our demands.

As far as homophobia versus heterosexism, I will provide an example. I had a co-worker (now since fired), that would stare at me while I was changing, particularly my crotch and ass. As soon as I was covered, he would start screaming at me about it. "YOU CAN'T BE THAT NAKED DOWN HERE!" Even though we were all in our underwear. It was something different each time, but in general it was rage at how my naked body made him feel. It was homophobic...a personal and psychological fear of homosexual relations.

But it wasn't heterosexist, as far as I can tell anyway. He fully acknowledged my attraction toward men all of the time, and he understood that my queerness impacted the rest of my life in a myriad of ways. Like how my kitchen uses heterosexual flirting as a group bonding experience, one that I am excluded from because I am queer. Even if I am included, it's very awkwardly, in jest, or even to tell me off. Much of the time, the line cooks even use homophobic jokes to relieve stress...directly in front of me. These are things that heterosexists, like some of my co-workers, are blind to.. A heterosexist will not see the policing or exclusion I experience as a queer individual. They will not see how one-sided these situations are. They will view my queer feelings and queer attitudes as inappropriate. Even if they're not afraid of those feelings or attitudes, they will still put effort into suppressing them.

A homophobic person believes their own queerness to be inappropriate, and this necessitates self-loathing and fear. A heterosexist believes another's queerness to be inappropriate. Whether or not they're afraid of that queerness is optional, thus becoming a separate question entirely.
I'm afraid I can't quite relate to the problems in the US. I believe that both state and people are way more liberal where I live (on a side note almost 100% of the people in my country think that Trump should not be president according to some polls). That most definitely is reflected in our view on things I guess. In fact I've never experienced anything like you did (if you ignore the old people who live in the past). While I can fully acknowledge your experience and wisdom I feel we live in completely different environments and made completely different experiences. Although I have to admit that gay marriage still isn't a thing here.
But doesn't a heterosexist think that heterosexuality is superior rather than any other sexuality is inappropriate?

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm afraid I can't quite relate to the problems in the US. I believe that both state and people are way more liberal where I live (on a side note almost 100% of the people in my country think that Trump should not be president according to some polls). That most definitely is reflected in our view on things I guess. In fact I've never experienced anything like you did (if you ignore the old people who live in the past). While I can fully acknowledge your experience and wisdom I feel we live in completely different environments and made completely different experiences. Although I have to admit that gay marriage still isn't a thing here.
But doesn't a heterosexist think that heterosexuality is superior rather than any other sexuality is inappropriate?

I'm sure many heterosexists do think that. Whether it's required for one to engage in heterosexism, I don't know. I'd like to though! I think heterosexism really just boils down to being wholly ignorant of what it means to be queer, the reality of it, you know?

Many Americans don't want Trump to be president either. Trump supporters are notoriously misinformed and...out on the clouds if you gather my meaning.

I'm sure many heterosexists do think that. Whether it's required for one to engage in heterosexism, I don't know. I'd like to though! I think heterosexism really just boils down to being wholly ignorant of what it means to be queer, the reality of it, you know?

Many Americans don't want Trump to be president either. Trump supporters are notoriously misinformed and...out on the clouds if you gather my meaning.

I don’t want to get into politics on this thread, but since the topic has been brought up, there is always the question about how a Trump election would impact gays.

One recent survey reports that over 70 percent of Protestants age 18-33 support gay marriages. With numbers like these in this segment of our population, there is little chance that any gay liberties will be negatively impacted with a Trump election. In fact there is good reason to believe that a Trump administration will be much more likely to solicit gay support and act to modify many anti-gay institutions.

Just so there is no misunderstanding I will be voting for Trump, along with a majority of the 30 million other individuals who live in Texas. A primary reason for electing Trump is to escape our current administration and replace it with an environment where new ideas can compete.

Snakebyte

Superior Member
Media
I don’t want to get into politics on this thread, but since the topic has been brought up, there is always the question about how a Trump election would impact gays.

One recent survey reports that over 70 percent of Protestants age 18-33 support gay marriages. With numbers like these in this segment of our population, there is little chance that any gay liberties will be negatively impacted with a Trump election. In fact there is good reason to believe that a Trump administration will be much more likely to solicit gay support and act to modify many anti-gay institutions.

Just so there is no misunderstanding I will be voting for Trump, along with a majority of the 30 million other individuals who live in Texas. A primary reason for electing Trump is to escape our current administration and replace it with an environment where new ideas can compete.
I wouldn't blame you for voting Trump. I am deeply sorry for the US because in my opinion you have to choose between the devil and the deep blue sea. And I can see Clinton being literally the same as Obama. If Trump means better days for the gay community? I doubt the party will support such things.
As for the survey I don't know the other numbers but I would think that younger people in general are just way more open-minded?

I don't think that being ignorant already equals heterosexism though. I mean the majority of heterosexual people never will experience what queer people do. So it's quite hard to expect them to fully understand what it means to be queer. I doubt the amount of empathy you'd need to fully understand what any minority (being discriminated against) experiences and feels is not what the majority of people are capable of. Whether you want to blame them for their naivety is up to you though.

Smaccoms

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I wouldn't blame you for voting Trump. I am deeply sorry for the US because in my opinion you have to choose between the devil and the deep blue sea. And I can see Clinton being literally the same as Obama. If Trump means better days for the gay community? I doubt the party will support such things.
As for the survey I don't know the other numbers but I would think that younger people in general are just way more open-minded?

They're both terrible, I don't know why everyone thinks Clinton is such an angel, because she's just as bad as Trump.

I don't think that being ignorant already equals heterosexism though. I mean the majority of heterosexual people never will experience what queer people do. So it's quite hard to expect them to fully understand what it means to be queer. I doubt the amount of empathy you'd need to fully understand what any minority (being discriminated against) experiences and feels is not what the majority of people are capable of. Whether you want to blame them for their naivety is up to you though.

You misunderstood my meaning here. A heterosexist is prejudiced against queer people, which typically means they are ignorant of the systemic oppression we queer people face (but not always). I did not mean to reference being aware of the personal experience of it as the deciding factor, though empathizing with that does mean a great deal to me (by a lot). But that's separate from being aware of the systemic oppression of queer people overall.

You can see how that's a distinct concept from homophobia, which is all about being afraid of queer people. We spend so much time focusing entirely on how we feel that we have no time to analyze Capitalism and the systemic oppression it needs to sustain itself. Heterosexism is institutionalized. Adoption is more difficult for queer couples, gay men aren't even allowed to donate blood if they've had anal sex. The nuclear family is so straight and white, it's painful.

Reactions: Snakebyte