Lets Pretend To Be Rocket Scientists....

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
This is the latest Elon venture to crack the vertical landing Rocketship.

I think there are a few things which are glaringly obvious why this won't work, the way they are trying to do it me thinks is a bit arse about....but I'm not a rocket scientist....

It's interesting to watch. The goal is to see if you might have the design which can land a 2 to 300 tonne Rocketship dropping at between 2 and 3 hundred KPH ....stopping it in less than 1000 metres.

Weeeeeelllll, it stops, but not the way they hoped for.

I wouldn't be asking this if they had achieved it.

SpaceX fires up SN10 Starship prototype for 1st time to prep for test flight | Space

Reactions: ronin001

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
A good advance in aviation science. I just wish TESLA stock was not falling the past few weeks
Stocks go up, and come down, sometimes they crash. Just like rockets :)

The thing which concerns me a bit is that ships have not had the need to take large quantities of fuel into space for reentry purpose. It's always been fall, glide or parachute to land. Little use for propellant.

I hope Elon has a good insurance company....there are trillions of $'s invested in space. The potential for one of these huge birds laden with propellant for landing to ignite in orbit, low Earth through atmosphere orbit is very real. It would place enough debris in orbit to take out a great number of other craft, probably make it impossible to launch anything from Earth safely for a long time. As well as difficult for communication and navigation on the planet.

Taking risks ok, but I don't think this one has really been though out all that well if you're going to play rocket ships, cause if it goes wrong, it's not possible to clean it up.

The nose is bullet shaped for climbing through atmosphere, stability, staying vertical. Turning 300 tonnes (with propellant) dropping at 300 kph to its blunt end, trying to stabilize it, fighting atmosphere and gravity at a height of 1000 metres (2.5 laps around an Olympic track, not far) to become perfectly vertical for a soft landing.

Stopping a train that weight and speed going horizontally is a task and a half in itself.

They obviously can't carry enough fuel to stabilize at a higher altitude, probably the reason why trying at such low altitudes.

Maybe this one :) :)

Reactions: ronin001

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Here's one I made earlier...

View attachment 30624451

Hahahaha...:) It falls, well, glides back to Earth though, carries no propellant for reentry. But we know what happens when a few heat tiles are missing. Also when a bit breaks off on liftoff.

Can't upload the one I prepared....

Last edited:
Reactions: DiamondJoe

DiamondJoe

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Hahahaha...:) It falls, well, glides back to Earth though, carries no propellant for reentry. But we know what happens when a few heat tiles are missing. Also when a bit breaks off on liftoff.

Can't upload the one I prepared....
That's my reworking of the Rockwell Integrated Space Plan, a long-range route map/flow chart from when it was first formulated in the 1980s stretching 100 or so years into the future laying out the various stages necessary for humans to colonise the stars.

Tbf, we're a little behind, unless you count Bond villain in waiting Elon Musk's contributions.

A Wildly Detailed 100-Year Plan for Getting Humans to Mars

Reactions: seventiesdemon

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
That's my reworking of the Rockwell Integrated Space Plan, a long-range route map/flow chart from when it was first formulated in the 1980s stretching 100 or so years into the future laying out the various stages necessary for humans to colonise the stars.

Tbf, we're a little behind, unless you count Bond villain in waiting Elon Musk's contributions.

A Wildly Detailed 100-Year Plan for Getting Humans to Mars

There's a few things graphs, or production schedules tend to leave out at times in regard to futuristic predictions. The unknowns, or when the unknowns will happen.

Statistically speaking we've been pretty lucky up to this point with regard to the advances. There have been some major catastrophes, luckily, mostly in atmosphere.

Elon's attempts to me seem amateurish, and frankly, dangerous. You would have seen the two craft, the one which plummeted back to Earth could have quite easily taken out the other, his money....tax deduction :), some might say. To me, it just shows a lack of forethought or just plain slack.....Leave it there, I'll pay for another one........

It points to a disaster in Earth orbit waiting to happen. When it happens, it will be messy. At that point you may as well put that schedule away for another few hundred years.

Humans have a habit of creating messes in places we place little thought into cleaning up, either very hard to clean up, or impossible, into the too hard basket...and plow ahead anyway.

The Exon Valdez still causes problems, the deep ocean Horizon disaster, the plastic in our oceans and fallout from that is yet to happen when it deteriorates to molecular...impossible to clean up...........so now we have our hopes pinned on a race to Mars.

My love and I have our certificates for our names on the chip 2009 Mars Rover...So in some way, I feel a bit like a Mars Man already :)

Reactions: DiamondJoe

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
It's all a work in progress ;)
This came up a couple of days ago.......https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2021-03-18/nasa-spacex-sign-agreement-to-enhance-space-safety#:~:text=(Reuters) - NASA said on,company's large constellation of satellites.

Now, I would have thought agreements would have been signed off on some time ago. Obviously, either Elon, or NASA, more likely NASA approached Space X. Many independent scientists have been opposed or concerned with the haphazard attitude for some time.

It's curious for me that Space X agreed to move their proposed 1,000 or more internet sat's (future numbers?) out of NASA's way...if needed. But, it is either done autonomously, or manually.

Out of 1,000 or so sat's (not sure about the number)......statistics would say a number will fail to respond to direction from Earth based stations...then need to be moved manually. In the time it takes to respond to an emergency at the speeds sat's travel allotted, ready to launch manually piloted ships, capture, re designated orbit or destruct, with the debris already that exists which spacecraft we have now collide with............... Make sure you have a large space allocated for when collisions do happen DiJo.in your graphs :), cause when you take into account exploration and experimentation, statistics and unknowns....disaster is going to happen in low and high Earth orbit at some point which will place a halt to all Earthly launches for hundreds of years.

I'm all in favour of people who wish to rush into space exploration, with serious reservations, NASA has an ego, Elon too. I think egos at some point are going to create a disaster for all our hopes in the future of ever sending humans into the outer reaches.

Last edited:
D

deleted12229651

Can't we just put all our nuclear waste and any other nasties on rockets and point it at the sun? Always wondered this

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Can't we just put all our nuclear waste and any other nasties on rockets and point it at the sun? Always wondered this
Yeah, it's been firing all that radiation at us for billions of years, let's shoot some back :) :)

I think the issue is, there's a lot of it. Getting it into space safely without it coming back down could pose some problems.

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Much like a car, it will stop when it eventually hits something.

giphy.gif

Tight_N_Juicy

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
Pansexual

The likelihood of the radioactive material raining back down into our atmosphere during the attempted launch is not worth the risk. Imagine Chernobyl on a global scale.

We don't have the technology. We just don't. If we can't launch with 100% reliability (which we can't, there's still potential for failure with every launch) we can't send nuclear material into space.

It's the same reason we don't nuke hurricanes. It would just send the radiation EVERYWHERE.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
As my husband would say, I have some good ideas about it. I've seen it on a cartoon once, but I think I can make it work.

Isn't that how all of things go?

KuronoB

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
On a more "serious" note, if anyone wants to try becoming a rocket scientist, I HIGHLY recommend you play the game Kerbal Space Program. You can design, build and fly rockets to orbit, the moon and to other planets. Here is a 2 minute trailer on youtube:

seventiesdemon

Superior Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
On a more "serious" note, if anyone wants to try becoming a rocket scientist, I HIGHLY recommend you play the game Kerbal Space Program. You can design, build and fly rockets to orbit, the moon and to other planets. Here is a 2 minute trailer on youtube:
Have a high powered rifle large enough, powerful enough reaching orbit is not out of the question. V2 rockets reached low Earth orbit in the 1940's. The scientists from those periods were employed by the US for their space program. There was a rumor of a cannon shell fired in those times, which came down way out of it's level firing range back then, but can't find the info now.

But a large enough, controlled enough explosion of material can launch an object into orbit....even though for a short period.