Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Hi y'all, I've been thinking of taking up a cardio-heavy martial art (Muay Thai specifically) to help lose some body fat I've put on since the start of the pandemic, while alternating with some weightlifting (specifically the Greyskull LP 2x5, 3 times a week routine which worked miracles in helping me to get where I was in my profile pic) to build up strength.

I'm not sure if this is a good idea, or how I should stagger my schedule between martial art classes and weightlifting sessions, or if I should only focus on one or the other (assuming the martial art classes have no weightlifting component).

Anybody have any experience or thoughts?

Reactions: Hardoz81

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
A few thoughts here..

When I train for a tournament/event, I worked out multiple times a day. Cardio, weights, technique, sparring..
It comes down to whatever your body can handle.

Every bit of data out there says that weights do more for fat loss than cardio.
For some reason, people seem to think that sweat = fat loss. Sweat isn't liquefied fat. It's just water and minerals.

The most important thing for you to get where you want is your diet.
You can do all the weights and cardio your want... But, if your diet sucks, you're not going to get good results. If your diet is inline, you can cruise thru weights and cardio and get results.

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
@socal 's post above is right on.

When I was in my prime I was lifting heavy weights 3x week and doing power yoga classes 2x week. The yoga was strenuous, fast (and heated to 95*) so we all usually finished in a puddle of sweat. As long as I watched my nutrition and ate plenty of calories and macros in the right ratios for me, I gained muscle and stayed lean.

H

Hardoz81

Following this, because this year I am branching out from wrestling to try and get into Muay Thai as as another discipline. I've heard that the consistent striking techniques build up upper body strength. So generally interested in other people's take on it compared to other variations of similar sports.

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Following this, because this year I am branching out from wrestling to try and get into Muay Thai as as another discipline. I've heard that the consistent striking techniques build up upper body strength. So generally interested in other people's take on it compared to other variations of similar sports.
Going from wrestling to Muay Thai, in an attempt to build upper body strength...?
You are going to be very disappointed, in afraid.