Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I've been surprised a few times when totally unassuming guys took their shirts off to reveal a really ripped physique.. so it's something I've always been curious about:
Why do some muscular men look skinny when dressed, and some comparatively skinny men manage to look much more imposing?

Is it their bearing?

Are they simply wearing the wrong clothes?

Neglecting neck/traps/delts?

Unfortunate baby-head genetics? :p

A perfect example is Joel Kinnaman.
5913b9b18f3be82d44840ef86e555bc1.jpg

Yet whenever he has clothes on he looks totally emaciated :confused:

D

deleted5506831

I have been surprised too. There is a guy at my gym that Broadsword and myself call "boots" cause he's always in work boots. He comes in wearing a well-fitting hoodie and looks skinny as hell. Takes it off and BOOM! Ripped like crazy.

There was another guy there that was wearing a tighter long sleeve shirt and once he took it off and was in a tank, he was ripped.

I think a lot of it just has to do with their particular build and how much body fat they have. I also think muscle length plays a big role. Those with a naturally short origin/insertion ratio just "pop" more.

I think overall height plays a factor too. You can't deny that built men that are on the shorter side just look more jacked.

I tend to think it has more to do with ill fitted clothing. Men wearing loose or relaxed cut jeans when they should be wearing straight or even (I can't believe I'm saying this) skinny cut. Wearing athletic cut dress shirts instead of the relaxed boxed cut. Clothes can do a lot to enhance or detract from your body type.

D

deleted1138933

There is a difference between being lean and defined and being massive and built. Either can or cannot be muscular and/or defined, but not necessarily bulky.

ManTubeula

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
My entire winter/fall wardrobe is blacks and dark greys.... My. muscle is usually a surprise until they go in for a hug...once they find out they usually find creative ways to "accidentally" touch me throughout the night if alcohol is involved. During warm weather I'm a complete showoff

MilfBanger78

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Depends how much muscle they are actually carrying. a 5'8" 160 guy thats ripped still is a skinny dude. But in the right shirt like others have said... like say a tight ringer tee, he'll look bigger than he is. I see 150lb dudes in the gym that squat 315 for reps and look great in a tank top, then I'll meet em in a store or whatever in a reg t-shirt and you'd never even know they have seen the inside of a gym.

I'm a bulky lifter 5'11" 240-260lbs so anytime I put on a ringer tee I'll get comments on my arms etc even though I'm far from lean lol. Its a size illusion

sodominsane

Legendary Member
Media
It’s got a lot to do with frame

take a guy in shirt and pants

The things that are gonna be noticeable

how wide your shoulders are.... neck size... forearms and ass

the rest of the stuff is pretty much covered in the clothing

also some colors and style cuts make shit just stand out....a lot of women really know this....

I am pretty muscular....some shirts are like wow..... others make me look down right dumppy

Reactions: 3403861
D

deleted1149118

Most of my clothes are in dark colors so you can't tell much. I go for a bit bigger than fitted because I've never liked the feeling fitted clothes have. Highest I've ever been while on a bulk was 190ish and I still looked fairly decent.