No More Straight People!

wallyj84

Superior Member
Media
Let's say God appears before every person on Earth and says, "no more heterosexuals!" This divine decree ends heterosexuality in humans on planet Earth. Even bisexuality disappears.

How would this affect the world? How would it affect society? Would humanity be worse off or better? How old you react to this situation?

marriedasian

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
men would be with men... women would be with women... life would continue as normal... and there would be a new law where men and women would be compensated for their participation in procreation services so that humanity would continue.

these threads are so entertaining...

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
Since queer folk have/desire/maintain, at a higher level of satisfaction than others, conventional family units the home structure probably would not change much. I could see an increase of poly-functional homes. Mens and women and the non-binary folk living together to achieve an end goal of stability and prosperity.

On a very real tip womens' lives would change over night. From being safe to walk home at night to unwanted pregnancy or the terrible side effects of medication to prevent pregnancy even being a thing. Women in developing nations would no longer fear child/forced marriages, lack of birth control, trafficking, honor killing/assault.

Population drop when all pregnancies are planned. Reduced stress on natural resources. Small population foot prints, possibly by effect of more communal based living, mean less wildlife habitat intrusions.

All the bitter closet case Republicans will be free to be happy. "God made me gay!"

A period of panicked adjustment. Followed by a few decades of positive growth.... until some fuckstick gets to missing feeling superior to someone.

eta: for, true is all heterosexual desire went poof the world would look like the queer community does now. Minus the constant battle to simply exist and some internalized self loathing.

So...the whole world is P-town. With raunchy out breaks of Fire Island and Lilith Fair patches.

Last edited:

jumbo747jet

Superior Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
I actually think this brings up a pretty interesting question.
I think that religious believes can change, laws can change and attitudes of societies can change, but I do not believe that we can select our sexual orientations ourselves.
What changes is how open and honest we dare to be, depending on the circumstances.
If a devine being appeared and made his or her opinion known, it wouldn't make any difference at all.

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Can't believe this has garnered three pages already since it was clearly meant to be just a provocative cry for attention using outlandish brain-fart scenarios (in other words: Wally just being Wally) and thus gotten more attention than it's deserved.

LPSG Simon

Superior Member
Staff
Gold
Media
I just Googled that... Now I'm going down a rabbit hole. I think I chose to go down the hole... But I'm not sure now. <ggg>
It can take you to some pretty severe places. I wont toss in any seeds there, but dont let it warp your mind too much.

Just to keep the discussion relevant: You couldn't choose to be homosexual, even if you could choose.

LPSG Simon

Superior Member
Staff
Gold
Media
This makes it sound like the desires and impulses are forces external to ourselves that impose themselves upon us. That would be a very strange conception of the human self, in my opinion. As far as I am concerned, the desires and impulses you say we are governed by, we are actually identical to them, or at least they are a part of us. Since they are part of us, when we act from them, we are acting from ourselves, rather than being compelled to act by something distinct from ourselves. So there is freedom in acting from our impulses, in a sense, in that we are acting from something that belongs to us, rather than being compelled by something alien to us.

Being motivated by our impulses may appear to be a constraining of our freedom when we identify overwhelmingly with the rational component of ourselves, but I would say that reflects an erroneous carving up of the self and dissociation from our more base aspect.
Nope that's all static.

*Everything that happens* is the result of something that came before it. Even the illusion that we are choosing is determined by the cheese sandwich someone a thousand miles away had in 1954, and that choice came from much earlier..... We can swerve the car, but everything that informs that decision and what led us there in the first place is the end result of something that happened before. We didn't ask to be here, and nothing we can do can separate us from what came before or what happens to us to inform our choices. There's literally no way out of it.

I wonder if Christianity came up with the whole notion of "God's plan" by stealing from Heraclitus, Leucippus, and Aristotle?

#teamdeterminism.

Last edited:

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Providers in which way? If we're going with stereotypes then I'll forward that women as creators are better providers.

Without males wouldn't employment compensation for women become balanced? It's probably the only way it'll get like that.

The family structure has evolved to something unrecognizable 50 years ago. A single woman having a child then was usually sent away to live with another family member. Now it's celebrated.

If you're envisioning a new world order then you have to be an iconoclast and rid yourself of outdated notions of society.

malakos

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
But we can artificially inseminate people. You don't think we would just switch to that?

Well, initially I didn't even think of it.

I don't really know enough to say whether that would be viable or not. I do know that artificial insemination as it stands currently is far more resource draining than the natural version is. Would we even be materially able to sustain the species relying so heavily on such a costly procedure? We'd have to really get into speculation and data analysis to determine that. But I have doubts.

There's also the motivational question. I'm not confident a society full of people only attracted to the same sex would be sufficiently driven to coordinate such a considerable system of artificial reproduction. You might think that the imperative to maintain the species would make that happen, but much of the force of that imperative is rooted in the more base instinct to mate with members of the opposite sex; it's not originally conceptual.