Racism? Or Simply Preference? Who Is Right Here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nigel Atkinson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
don’t get me wrong... you do what’s best for you. But I just don’t see what’s wrong with putting down what turns you on. Especially on a hook up app such as grindr.

I also don’t understand how people like @Nigel Atkinson and @sargon20 can say that this statement:

“ mostly attracted to white guys“

Is racist, because you’re not including minorities. but this statement:

“ mostly attracted to black guys“

is fetishism, because you ARE. Social justice taken too far... And they’ll never be happy either way.
:joy::joy: Are trolling me ? I never said anything about that. In fact I remember our conversation on that being about other language you used on this thread.

Nigel Atkinson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I’m curious what “issues and challenges” you think I have with minorities.

I think this is another case of you making up stories about me and using that to make your narrative, rather than actually knowing anything about me.

but hey, that’s how you and Nigel treat people you disagree with around here. You do you.

What ? :joy: You must really miss our conversations huh ? It’s okay Ark. Who’s making up things about you ? How are you certain Sargon was referring to you specifically ? Do you want to go back to discussing some of the things you’ve said on this thread. Don’t forget I’ve read this thread from the beginning. I know the things you’ve said. I’m not sure you want to go there again.

Reactions: deleted15807
D

deleted464787

I’m still offering $1000 cash to anyone who can name any actual issue that I have with minorities. No one has yet to take me up on these kinds of challenges.

@Nigel Atkinson and @sargon20 are especially welcome to apply, since they are the most vocal about it, and insist that I have racist tendencies.

Nigel Atkinson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I’m still offering $1000 cash to anyone who can name any actual issue that I have with minorities. No one has yet to take me up on these kinds of challenges.

@Nigel Atkinson and @sargon20 are especially welcome to apply, since they are the most vocal about it, and insist that I have racist tendencies.

You sure ? Get my money ready then. You want to talk about that time you insinuated that people would feel more comfortable walking into an alley full of white people vs black.

D

deleted464787

You sure ? Get my money ready then. You want to talk about that time you insinuated that people would feel more comfortable walking into an alley full of white people vs black.

I suggest you read that more carefully. I didn’t say that.

I said white people generally feel more comfortable around white people. Asian people generally feel more comfortable around Asian people. And black people generally feel more comfortable.

this is a well documented fact. Like attracts like. No one ever said that’s the way it HAS to be. That’s just the way people naturally gravitate.

That also doesn’t mean that I have any issue with minorities, lol

Nigel Atkinson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I suggest you read that more carefully. I didn’t say that.

I said white people generally feel more comfortable around white people. Asian people generally feel more comfortable around Asian people. And black people generally feel more comfortable.

this is a well documented fact. Like attracts like. No one ever said that’s the way it HAS to be. That’s just the way people naturally gravitate.

That also doesn’t mean that I have any issue with minorities, lol
Oh you didn’t ? Sounds like what you said to me.
That entire post is an awful lot to dissect. At the moment I'd like to just address the "whether not not racism is worth fighting against" topic, and at a later time when I have more time, perhaps we can delve into the other parts.

As far as whether or not racism is worth fighting against... I suppose I could have been a little more clear with what I meant. Obviously I agree that sheer bigotry is worth fighting against, and Im sure you agree, so lets just take that out of the equation right now. What happened in America's past (and indeed, many other colonialism campaigns conducted by both white and non-white races) was horrible, and it was an agenda that was allowed to happen because one side was able to "dehumanize" another race in order to take over without giving it a 2nd thought. All of that is bad, and worth fighting against... now with that out of the way...

The part that Im not sure whether or not its worth fighting against...the part that I believe is embedded within human society over hundreds of thousands of years of evolution... Im going to take a weird example here, and then extrapolate from it... but just bear with me on this point: Have you heard of the tribe on Sentinel Island? For those that havent, they are basically one of the last (maybe the actual last?) non-contacted tribes of humans to exist. If one were to look at their skin color, someone might describe them as "black." If you were to drop a white person off on that island, the tribe would attack them instantly, as they would recognize him as "not a member of that tribe, and therefore a threat." Thats not to say that they wouldnt do the same to another black person they simply dont know, but you get where Im going with this. The key here, though, is that the tribe "See's them as different, and therefore a threat"... thats the main takeaway Im going with in this example.

There have been many interactions with humans that have yet to join "modern civilization" as we know it. Most of these tribes could be described as at least having "dark skin" if not "black" altogether. Whenever these tribes come into contact with people of lighter skin, they almost always react MUCH more cautiously than they do meeting new people with darker skin. And to be honest, who is to say that is "racist?" These people have no experience to draw on with white people that would make them react that way... they simply react because its different. Its one of those things that I find totally understandable. And although these kinds of instincts may not be applicable in modern day civilization, they were incredibly important (dare I say, almost necessary?) to have in the earlier days of man, and can be attributed to our survival as a species.

When you were young, did you parents ever give you the "dont talk to strangers" lecture? Sure, that lecture wasnt about race--they never said "dont talk to black people," but it was about the unknown. That sort of stuff starts with the individual, and then it transcends to the community, and then the general public as a whole. Now don't get me wrong, Im not saying all black people should act cautiously around white people, and vise versa--obviously that will probably cause more harm and tension than good (Im looking forward to the people who havent read this far into the post and are going to accuse me of saying whites need to avoid all blacks). But once upon a time, tribalism was simply a part of being a human. Its hard to just say "dont do that" and go against thousands of generations of instinct. And again don't misquote me as condoning all this--Im simply pointing out what it all is.

One final note. This is the kind of question that Im sure will draw a lot of flames here, as I'll admit its certainly a controversial question to ask... but lets not tiptoe around political correctness and just tackle the controversial question head on... so here it goes:

If you were to take a poll of...say..10,000 people, all of various races, ethnicities, backgrounds, genders, etc. and pose them this question:

"Youre in a dark alley all by yourself. Would you feel safer seeing a group of white men walking towards you? Or a group of black men walking towards you."

What do you think the spread of answers would be (note: not what you would LIKE them to be... what do you think people would ACTUALLY answer). And then, more importantly... why?

I have my answer ready, but Im curious to hear yours first. And I think when you hear my answer youll be surprised, as its not an explanation rooted in racism, but rather, tribalism.

D

deleted464787

Oh you didn’t ? Sounds like what you said to me.

I see nothing in that quote that indicates that I have an issue or problem with minorities.

And I, myself, wouldn’t feel any more or less comfortable walking down an alley and meeting someone of any particular race. Sorry bro.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nigel Atkinson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I see nothing in that quote that indicates that I have an issue or problem with minorities.

And I, myself, wouldn’t feel any more or less comfortable walking down an alley and meeting someone of any particular race. Sorry bro.

“If you were to take a poll of...say..10,000 people, all of various races, ethnicities, backgrounds, genders, etc. and pose them this question:

"Youre in a dark alley all by yourself. Would you feel safer seeing a group of white men walking towards you? Or a group of black men walking towards you."

This isn’t a indication ? But who am I fooling lol. You wouldn’t admit it anyway nor would you admit to any of the other comments you’ve made.

D

deleted464787

“If you were to take a poll of...say..10,000 people, all of various races, ethnicities, backgrounds, genders, etc. and pose them this question:

This isn’t a indication ? But who am I fooling lol. You wouldn’t admit it anyway nor would you admit to any of the other comments you’ve made.

no, it wasn’t an indication. It’s a social experiment, that’s already been hashed out, to confirm the hypotheses that Humans naturally group to get her with people that are “most like” them.

D

deleted464787

Is it now ? Oh okay :sleeping:

now I’m curious... if you were to conduct such a poll, how do you think the results of that poll would turn out? And what does the result of that poll have to do with my alleged “problem/issue/challenge with minorities” that you are so convinced I have?

Nigel Atkinson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
now I’m curious... if you were to conduct such a poll, how do you think the results of that poll would turn out? And what does the result of that poll have to do with my alleged “problem/issue/challenge with minorities” that you are so convinced I have?

I don’t think those results would be anywhere near what you would expect them to be. I think you answered question with that one with the post I quoted.

D

deleted464787

I don’t think those results would be anywhere near what you would expect them to be. I think you answered question with that one with the post I quoted.

Lol... I didn’t ask what you think I would expect them to be. I asked what YOU what expect them to be.

I’m trying to lead this conversation to a conclusion. Please answer this very direct question?

D

deleted464787

Oh I believe you are lol, but you already provided the answer to your own question.

how can I provide an answer about what YOU think? I don’t know what YOU think. That’s why im asking YOU.

I know in your world, you like to pretend to be a mind reader and insert words into other peoples mouts in order to conveniently fit your narrative. But that’s not how it works in the real world.

so I’ll ask once again. How do YOU predict the results of such a poll would turn out if you were to conduct it. Your hypothesis—that’s all I’m asking for.

Nigel Atkinson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
how can I provide an answer about what YOU think? I don’t know what YOU think. That’s why im asking YOU.

I know in your world, you like to pretend to be a mind reader and insert words into other peoples mouts in order to conveniently fit your narrative. But that’s not how it works in the real world.

so I’ll ask once again. How do YOU predict the results of such a poll would turn out if you were to conduct it. Your hypothesis—that’s all I’m asking for.

:joy: The answer isn’t in what I think. the answer is in what you’ve already wrote. I already told what I think and that is that it wouldn’t be the results you have in your head. You keep railing against this which proves my assertion correct.

D

deleted464787

:joy: The answer isn’t in what I think. the answer is in what you’ve already wrote. I already told what I think and that is that it wouldn’t be the results you have in your head. You keep railing against this which proves my assertion correct.

how can you know that if you don’t know the answer that’s in my head?

Why are we performing this stupid dance with words? Lol

clearly you’re afraid to make a prediction, so I’ll stop entertaining this topic with you, and allow you to try another one for the $1000. Next one you bring up, please don’t bring it up if you plan on chickening out.

Nigel Atkinson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
how can you know that if you don’t know the answer that’s in my head?

Why are we performing this stupid dance with words? Lol

clearly you’re afraid to make a prediction, so I’ll stop entertaining this topic with you, and allow you to try another one for the $1000. Next one you bring up, please don’t bring it up if you plan on chickening out.

You already told everyone the answer in your head :joy:. I’m not performing anything. You keep skirting around it. I already answered you. Mines was opposite of yours . If you don’t want to pay up just say so. Not like anyone was actually expecting you to do it. You’re sweating bullets over there aren’t you ?

Gragasa

Expert Member
Media
I'm coming in here pretty late but I just stumbled on this thread, and I found it to be pretty interesting. I've just had a read of the first few pages.

In case anyone wants an additional perspective (to this already messy and hotly debated thread lol), here're my thoughts:

In response to this question by @ArkNebradia: Why is finding one race/ethnicity generally attractive something that is unacceptable, while finding people of a certain height, body type... or Hell, even gender perfectly acceptable and normal? Still no one has even attempted to address that question, which is really the crux of this post.
  • After thinking more about this, I think I've tentatively concluded there isn't such a fundamental difference between these categories. However, one thing to be mindful of (especially if you want to interact with people with understanding and compassion) is the strong emotional responses people often have when it comes to both culture and sex. Notably, one's cultural background provides a strong sense of pride, belonging and identity-formation for a lot of people. In other words, our cultural identity - and the ideas, customs, and behaviours stemming from that culture - powerfully frame the way we see the world, and how others view us. Turning to sex, sex can be such an integral human experience and one that people often associate (whether for better or worse) with connection, self-worth and desirability. When sexual preference is disproportionally biased against a race, I can understand why a non-white person can internalise those experiences of rejection and undesirability and unfortunately feel shame, inadequacy and self-loathing. It can be particularly challenging when this is a part of your identity that can't be changed (nor should people want to), and it ultimately takes psychological growth and immense resilience to accept and not care about what others think (a classic example of minority stress). I know the same can apply for people who might be obese or extremely short, when faced with repeated rejection. What (if anything) to make of this? I'll get to that later below
I also want to say that (in my opinion) sexual preference based on race is not in and of itself racist. However, I do also think racism and prejudice in society has strongly contributed to what people find attractive. I'm not going to justify the exact cause and reasons behind anyone's individual preferences (the psychology of attraction is such a complicated topic), but I do think it's undeniable that one's culture plays a strong role.
  • For example, here're a bunch of questions that I think illustrate my point regarding where a sexual preference for white guys might (partially) stem from: Is my attraction to white guys a product of living in a predominantly white society, where media representation depicts white people's lives and experiences as the typical, default narrative? Where advertisements often associate experiences of beauty and desirability with white actors? Where white protagonists are the individuals that develop romantic relationships in mainstream media? Where the people you interacted with growing up were mainly white, and in positions of power and respect? I think all of this combined is definitely a factor influencing one's formation of personal preferences. I also recognise that society over the past decade or two has strived to be more egalitarian when it comes to cultural representation as time has passed (which I suspect will subtly influence more younger people today to be more open-minded when it comes to sexual attraction and cultural preference). However, my point still stands: there's many established, unavoidable mechanisms of cultural transmission that gradually shape what we perceive as attractive. It's a more subtle position to take (racial preference isn't racist, although it is significantly influenced by a traditionally racist, prejudicial society) but I personally think it hits closer to the truth.
After elaborating on all this, I guess the question arises: do I (as an individual person) need to do anything about my sexual preferences and how I communicate them? Here's what I think.
  • To begin with, I'm definitely not going to suggest a person needs to suddenly have sex with all people they're not immediately attracted to. You'd have to be some kind of sexual Jesus Christ to be so giving and loving to everyone in that way, and it goes beyond what I think should be morally expected of anyone - after all, your bodily autonomy and consequent right to make decisions about what you do with it is important too. Having said that, I can also appreciate the argument that being more open-minded with your choice of sexual partners can be beneficial in quite a few ways (especially if you want to connect with a more diverse array of people with potentially different and interesting life experiences)
  • On the other hand, I can see how a Grindr profile that says "Mostly attracted to other white guys" is, in my opinion, insensitive. It's like saying "Mostly attracted to other tall guys" or "Mostly attracted to other masc guys" (all categories conventionally judged by society as most attractive). Your words implicitly foreground this point, are visible to anyone reading your public profile, and make anyone who isn't part of that category feel excluded (and left with another reminder that they are statistically not as desirable to most people). It's fine to know what you sexually prefer regarding race, but I think the respectful and considerate thing to do is to leave it out of your profile. And even from an optics point of view, you also leave yourself open to being grouped together with people that actually are racist when writing a message of this kind (even when you include the qualifier "mostly"), even if this is an unfair category to box you in. For example, it's not hard to find past examples of people who've written "No Blacks, no Asians" (and when you talk to them appear to summarily dismiss and stereotype people from that race) or "Really into Black guys" (and then go on to dehumanisingly fetishise people of that race).

Nigel Atkinson

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm coming in here pretty late but I just stumbled on this thread, and I found it to be pretty interesting. I've just had a read of the first few pages.

In case anyone wants an additional perspective (to this already messy and hotly debated thread lol), here're my thoughts:

In response to this question by @ArkNebradia: Why is finding one race/ethnicity generally attractive something that is unacceptable, while finding people of a certain height, body type... or Hell, even gender perfectly acceptable and normal? Still no one has even attempted to address that question, which is really the crux of this post.
  • After thinking more about this, I think I've tentatively concluded there isn't such a fundamental difference between these categories. However, one thing to be mindful of (especially if you want to interact with people with understanding and compassion) is the strong emotional responses people often have when it comes to both culture and sex. Notably, one's cultural background provides a strong sense of pride, belonging and identity-formation for a lot of people. In other words, our cultural identity - and the ideas, customs, and behaviours stemming from that culture - powerfully frame the way we see the world, and how others view us. Turning to sex, sex can be such an integral human experience and one that people often associate (whether for better or worse) with connection, self-worth and desirability. When sexual preference is disproportionally biased against a race, I can understand why a non-white person can internalise those experiences of rejection and undesirability and unfortunately feel shame, inadequacy and self-loathing. It can be particularly challenging when this is a part of your identity that can't be changed (nor should people want to), and it ultimately takes psychological growth and immense resilience to accept and not care about what others think (a classic example of minority stress). I know the same can apply for people who might be obese or extremely short, when faced with repeated rejection. What (if anything) to make of this? I'll get to that later below
I also want to say that (in my opinion) sexual preference based on race is not in and of itself racist. However, I do also think racism and prejudice in society has strongly contributed to what people find attractive. I'm not going to justify the exact cause and reasons behind anyone's individual preferences (the psychology of attraction is such a complicated topic), but I do think it's undeniable that one's culture plays a strong role.
  • For example, here're a bunch of questions that I think illustrate my point regarding where a sexual preference for white guys might (partially) stem from: Is my attraction to white guys a product of living in a predominantly white society, where media representation depicts white people's lives and experiences as the typical, default narrative? Where advertisements often associate experiences of beauty and desirability with white actors? Where white protagonists are the individuals that develop romantic relationships in mainstream media? Where the people you interacted with growing up were mainly white, and in positions of power and respect? I think all of this combined is definitely a factor influencing one's formation of personal preferences. I also recognise that society over the past decade or two has strived to be more egalitarian when it comes to cultural representation as time has passed (which I suspect will subtly influence more younger people today to be more open-minded when it comes to sexual attraction and cultural preference). However, my point still stands: there's many established, unavoidable mechanisms of cultural transmission that gradually shape what we perceive as attractive. It's a more subtle position to take (racial preference isn't racist, although it is significantly influenced by a traditionally racist, prejudicial society) but I personally think it hits closer to the truth.
After elaborating on all this, I guess the question arises: do I (as an individual person) need to do anything about my sexual preferences and how I communicate them? Here's what I think.
  • To begin with, I'm definitely not going to suggest a person needs to suddenly have sex with all people they're not immediately attracted to. You'd have to be some kind of sexual Jesus Christ to be so giving and loving to everyone in that way, and it goes beyond what I think should be morally expected of anyone - after all, your bodily autonomy and consequent right to make decisions about what you do with it is important too. Having said that, I can also appreciate the argument that being more open-minded with your choice of sexual partners can be beneficial in quite a few ways (especially if you want to connect with a more diverse array of people with potentially different and interesting life experiences)
  • On the other hand, I can see how a Grindr profile that says "Mostly attracted to other white guys" is, in my opinion, insensitive. It's like saying "Mostly attracted to other tall guys" or "Mostly attracted to other masc guys" (all categories conventionally judged by society as most attractive). Your words implicitly foreground this point, are visible to anyone reading your public profile, and make anyone who isn't part of that category feel excluded (and left with another reminder that they are statistically not as desirable to most people). It's fine to know what you sexually prefer regarding race, but I think the respectful and considerate thing to do is to leave it out of your profile. And even from an optics point of view, you also leave yourself open to being grouped together with people that actually are racist when writing a message of this kind (even when you include the qualifier "mostly"), even if this is an unfair category to box you in. For example, it's not hard to find past examples of people who've written "No Blacks, no Asians" (and when you talk to them appear to summarily dismiss and stereotype people from that race) or "Really into Black guys" (and then go on to dehumanisingly fetishise people of that race).

Just wanted to let you know that the part I bolden and underlined in your post has been discussed on this thread. If you read farther into the thread you’ll find it. I think you’ll like the deep discussion part of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.