Resistance Bands. Yay Or Nay?

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I'm just finding out about resistance bands workouts and considering investing in a good set of loop bands. Still not sold yet but would like to know if anyone has used them and do they feel they yield results for muscle gain. I love that they are versatile and lightweight. They don't take up much room at all and can be easily packed and carried anywhere. Please share any thoughts you might have. I would especially love to hear from those that have been using them.

Clrwtrdlbud71-fl

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Clearwater, Florida, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I've gotten cheap ones and I've gotten quality ones, invariably they eventually all break. Snapsed me on the arm once, looked like I had been lashed, snapped me on the dick another, collapsed on the floor in pain, never got more. Not saying you don't, just be careful, inspect often, at any sign of pitting or crack replace them. (but not anymore for me anymore!)

Player_01

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I got one once that had handles on it, I never really got the hang of it.
I also have one for stretching that I used in physical therapy.

I've gotten cheap ones and I've gotten quality ones, invariably they eventually all break. Snapsed me on the arm once, looked like I had been lashed, snapped me on the dick another, collapsed on the floor in pain, never got more. Not saying you don't, just be careful, inspect often, at any sign of pitting or crack replace them. (but not anymore for me anymore!)

Oh my god, ouch. o_O And that's nice looking dick too. Be careful :blush:

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Were these the loop bands or the tubular bands that you put handles on either end? I'm thinking of getting both kind but will use them only for certain exercises and to incorporate with my gym routine. I am hoping that they will help with toning more than anything. It would be great if I could build some quality muscle also but if not it's all good. I pay for a gym membership but the weights do take a toll on my joints.

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I got one once that had handles on it, I never really got the hang of it.
I also have one for stretching that I used in physical therapy.

Oh my god, ouch. o_O And that's nice looking dick too. Be careful :blush:
Yes I have the same kind right now and I'm actually getting used to them. I do plan on getting the loop bands that look like huge rubber bands

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Were these the loop bands or the tubular bands that you put handles on either end? I'm thinking of getting both kind but will use them only for certain exercises and to incorporate with my gym routine. I am hoping that they will help with toning more than anything. It would be great if I could build some quality muscle also but if not it's all good. I pay for a gym membership but the weights do take a toll on my joints.

I have a few bands and use them almost exclusively for shoulderrehab/pre-hab. There's a light weight one with handles that I loop around door handles for external shoulder rotation exercises. Then there's a a heavier version that has hooks but no handles; I use it for reverse flies every morning to open up my chest and it's great for that.

On a secondary note, if your joints are killing you, get your ass into a yoga class! The point of yoga is to strengthen and stretch the ligaments and tendons; it also spurs cartilage growth.
I was diagnosed with osteo arthritis at 25 (thanks Grandma!) and began prescription remedies immediately. By age 50 the effects of the medications was taking a toll. Soon after starting yoga, those arthritis drugs were dropped. As long as I keep up my now 20 year yoga practice, my arthritis is in check. I do squats, deadlifts, DB bench press and a lot of accessory lifts with no joint pain.
And I'm 69.

halcyondays

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I'm dating myself but I used a Bullworker for years when time, travel or other situation limited my access to weights/gym. It's still on a hook in the closet. It was never my primary workout but a decent quick alternative in a pinch. There's a ton of isometric equipment from which to choose.

95aa5f870659b32077a89c030f723b24.jpg

ryans138

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
They're a good option if space is limited, you don't have a decent gym locally, you travel a lot, etc.

They're resistance so you can certainly work the muscle and get stronger. But in my experience, it's tough to increase the resistance incrementally the way you can with weights.

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
They're a good option if space is limited, you don't have a decent gym locally, you travel a lot, etc.

They're resistance so you can certainly work the muscle and get stronger. But in my experience, it's tough to increase the resistance incrementally the way you can with weights.

That was the same thing that I was thinking when I started researching them as an option. I found that resistance bands are not so much about resistance overload but more so about high volume.

boomerboi

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Over the weekend I was just talking about this with a friend of mine who is a personal trainer. He said the bands are easier on the joints and can help visually guide people who are still working on proper form. It is great that they don't take up a lot of space and they are easy to travel with. However, compared to weights, there are diminishing returns for someone who works out regularly.

If your goal is toning and muscle building, these alone might not give you the results you want. I have both kinds of bands and weights at home. The tube bands can be good for working smaller muscles like shoulders and I have also used them to help recover from injuries. The ones that look like giant rubber bands are good for assisting with pull ups so I can do more reps.

I did have to sacrifice some space for a decent fitness area, but for me it's better than going to a gym at least until the threat level goes down.

Reactions: HOU_HEADHUNTER

HOU_HEADHUNTER

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Over the weekend I was just talking about this with a friend of mine who is a personal trainer. He said the bands are easier on the joints and can help visually guide people who are still working on proper form. It is great that they don't take up a lot of space and they are easy to travel with. However, compared to weights, there are diminishing returns for someone who works out regularly.

If your goal is toning and muscle building, these alone might not give you the results you want. I have both kinds of bands and weights at home. The tube bands can be good for working smaller muscles like shoulders and I have also used them to help recover from injuries. The ones that look like giant rubber bands are good for assisting with pull ups so I can do more reps.

I did have to sacrifice some space for a decent fitness area, but for me it's better than going to a gym at least until the threat level goes down.
Great advice. Thanks. I still have my gym membership but just planning ahead incase things get really bad with covid and they end up shutting things down again. I want to have some things at home that I will fill motivated to use to keep my fitness up.

Reactions: boomerboi

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I'm dating myself but I used a Bullworker for years when time, travel or other situation limited my access to weights/gym. It's still on a hook in the closet. It was never my primary workout but a decent quick alternative in a pinch. There's a ton of isometric equipment from which to choose.

View attachment 39019491
I remember those.
Country boys used them before bow hunting season.

yos

Sexy Member
Media
I go for lean and flexible.
Love resistance bands, and in a pinch, they can fill in for a general workout.
I think of them as body weight plus.
This! Say you can do a lot of push-ups. Adding resistance bands allow you to train harder.

They also are good to change up the strength curve.

The braided one are the pro ones $$$$

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
This! Say you can do a lot of push-ups. Adding resistance bands allow you to train harder.

another advantage to merely adding a bit to body weight is how the nerves and brain communicate.
I use bands (and my professional training) to get tight weak (holding) muscles to let go for better overall functionality.

D

deleted1118872

I haven't had a gym membership in over a decade and own very few weights. Resistance bands were pretty much all I used for most of the last decade, including leg work.
Yeah, they work.

nailz

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
Only for traveling, and then only for exercises that I can't do with bodyweight only.

The non-linear resistance of bands is less than ideal and they will all eventually fail - usually in a totally catastropic Youtube-worthy fashion :dizzy: :laughing:

If you're buying them for home workouts and don't need something super compact for traveling, then you are better off putting the money towards more substantial equipment like dumbbels, kettlebells, a pull-up bar, etc ;)

Reactions: deleted5199391

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual

Honestly, I’m tempted to get the boxed/on a roll bands PTs use and do one buy for life.