Rlg thread

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Coconut is great. I occasionally get small pimples from it, so I keep a sharp eye out.
Love it on hair. I leave it on overnight before wash day (maybe 2 times a week. Three in summer, but really dilute shampoo in summer), then wash as usual. Soft silky ends.

EllieP

Worshipped Member
Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh, I forgot about coconut oil! I have used that and it does work nicely. I ran out and forget to get more. Just not one of those things I keep on the list.

The last time I bought some Cap used most of it in the kitchen. I brought it into the bath, and he brought it right back. Need to get two jars.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
right now I am playing Mr Wizard with my pony tail. the baking soda scalp scrub is working pretty good and I've relocated the coconut oil to the shower.

mostly I've accepted summer and physical activity will equal sweaty curls until September.

much love for all the tips and tricks.

Enid

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
Unsure
right now I am playing Mr Wizard with my pony tail. the baking soda scalp scrub is working pretty good and I've relocated the coconut oil to the shower.

mostly I've accepted summer and physical activity will equal sweaty curls until September.

much love for all the tips and tricks.

Also forgot to mention: after soda scrub & vinegar rinse, you can use a drop or two of essential oil rubbed into scalp for scent.

I like a combo of rosemary & lavender mostly, but special times I like Tunisian myrhh... there's a certain brand you can get in Whole Foods type places. It's super thick and pretty pungent, but I just barely get a whisper on my fingers and really massage it into scalp after cleaning and rinsing. I have gotten growled at in the good way for how good my hair smells after that, like rave reviews for the appeal. Mostly love lavender/rosemary though. The rosemary oil is good for silver hair.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Some people find the base to avid roller coaster of baking soda and ACV too much.
You can still get the scrubbing effect with sugar and essential oil if you wish, just rinse really well!

And Enid, that link was hilarious. If I eat coconut milk ice cream, am I applying cocnut oil to my depression? Ha.
(Seriously, coconut milk ice cream is delish)

Reactions: AlteredEgo

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Someone tried to convince me to use coconut oil as a deodorant. Noooo. I'm going to stick to the toxic, metal-based deodorant I use. My peeps are from Barbados. I grew up on coconut oil. It was not a fad. We used what we knew. And when we couldn't find pure coconut oil, we used products containing it. And when a budget was tight, we used products that simply smelled like it. LOL I dont remember why i switched to baby oil, but MickeyLee is why I switched back a few years ago. (Her suggestion was safflower oil, IIRC, another good choice.) Anyway, coconut oil is the reason my armpits are so soft. But if I don't follow up with the Dove stick after my oil absorbs, I will be funky within two hours of leaving home. As far as I know, coconut oil is neither anti-perspirant, nor deodorant. Wanna smell like coconut candy and B.O.? Fine. If not, use something else.

Sorry. I was reminded of it because the women in the skit mentioned it. I just thought I'd put it out there in case someone tries to tell you it was a miracle deodorant.

LaFemme

Mythical Member
Staff
Verified
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
That skit was pretty funny!

I saw a YouTube clip where a couple of girls tested out a bunch of coconut oil tricks. It was hilarious, too. The funniest was doing the coconut pull? It's where you swish warm coconut oil in your mouth for ten minutes. Apparently it will whiten your teeth, cure gingivitis and bring you salvation (don't remember it all). Well, it would appear that one needs a strong stomach to hold warm oil in their mouth for ten minutes. One girl gagged, nearly threw up and quit after a few minutes. I think the other girl made it, but was disturbed by the process. An oily mouth was just gross. She said it smells like it should taste good, but it does not.

So... would any of you have a sleep cap to recommend I could try? I live in a desert and my hair is pissy and I want to try using coconut oil overnight, but would rather not get my pillow case/etc oily

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I ordered a pony scrub cap on Etsy for a sleep and hair revolution day cover up,
I've others and I quite like them. They are cotton versions of medical caps, how much length are you containing?

I also have a polyester satin pillow case.its black and nothing has managed to stain it.

LaFemme, I gave oil pulling a whirl years ago. Sesame oil, I think. My reaction was meh. It did feel like some crap was getting off my gums and tongue. But I did it pre brushing. Because even adding peppermint oil didn't make it palatable.

AlteredEgo, coconut is mildly anti microbial, so it kills off some bacteria. But what really makes humans stink is stress and the chemicals released.
I use the crystal rock and a spritz of vertiver cologne.
Because I'm allergic to so much crap in commercial deodorants, let alone antiperspirants.
So, I might get damp, but it doesn't smell overly strong. Still, I keep a spritz bottle with me at work just in case.

Last edited:

I ordered a pony scrub cap on Etsy for a sleep and hair revolution day cover up,
I've others and I quite like them. They are cotton versions of medical caps,phew much length are y containing?

I also have a polyester satin pillow case.its black and nothing has managed to stain it.

Right now it's probably just shy of two feet long at the longest, but I have the extremely stereotypical straight/fine Asian hair, not especially thick, etc. I'm in the process of growing it out, too. The scrub cap, now that I'm looking at it on Amazon/etc is mostly what I was looking for. I don't think something satiny would stay put with how my hair is. :D Thank you

Reactions: Scarletbegonia

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
More than welcome.
Mine is right at the tops of my thighs. It's medium to trying for coarse (origins from the other side of Asia), and just over medium thickness by number of hairs. Fairly straight, just one to two long S waves down the length. But it likes to either dreadlock or imitate silk. Sometimes in the same three square inches of scalp.
It has to be corralled.
If you get a cap without an attached ribbon, hack a way to tie off the bundle of the pony tail. Really helps them stay in place.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I've others and I quite like them. They are cotton versions of medical caps, how much length are you containing?

LaFemme, I gave oil pulling a whirl years ago. Sesame oil, I think. My reaction was meh. It did feel like some crap was getting off my gums and tongue. But I did it pre brushing. Because even adding peppermint oil didn't make it palatable.

AlteredEgo, coconut is mildly anti microbial, so it kills off some bacteria. But what really makes humans stink is stress and the chemicals released.
I use the crystal rock and a spritz of vertiver cologne.
Because I'm allergic to so much crap in commercial deodorants, let alone antiperspirants.
So, I might get damp, but it doesn't smell overly strong. Still, I keep a spritz bottle with me at work just in case.
I am so happy that alternative armpit rituals work for other people. I really am. Commercial deodorant is just poison. BUT. I just don;t have any success with anything else. It either stains, or works for a few months until my body figures out how to defeat it, doesn't work for me at all, or lets me get too moist. I cannot handle feeling sweaty there. I have tried. I really have. But underarm sweat is just so uncomfortable to me. Frankly, I kinda like my scent before it gets too old. I just wouldn't be comfortable with everyone else being able to smell me, AND I hate to be wet.

Fade, anytime I have to go to bed with any kind of goop in my hair, I wrap my hair around my head, pinning in place as I go around. Then I put a stocking cap over that. Usually, that will stay on from the pressure around my head, but I can pin that in place too. Finally I tie a silk scarf around that. Other than being extremely fine, my hair is likely nothing like yours, so I don;t know if that would work for you,but it is considered a protective night-time procedure for growth.

Fade, anytime I have to go to bed with any kind of goop in my hair, I wrap my hair around my head, pinning in place as I go around. Then I put a stocking cap over that. Usually, that will stay on from the pressure around my head, but I can pin that in place too. Finally I tie a silk scarf around that. Other than being extremely fine, my hair is likely nothing like yours, so I don;t know if that would work for you,but it is considered a protective night-time procedure for growth.

Things don't stay well in my hair. Barrettes, clips, pins, etc. Scarves like to slip off, too. The scrub cap seems like the most likely to stay put and least likely to piss me off. Just kinda wad all my hair up and jam it on, hahaha. Grabbing all of my hair into a ball, it still fits in my fist, and it's about down to the bottom part of where my shoulder blades are. Not very thick >_< I definitely want to try the coconut oil in my hair, though!

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Coconut oil makes my hair even more slippery.

The only barrette I've ever been able to work with are the ones made in France, and with what you describe, I'd take a small silicone elastic and wrap it around the bar for some grip.

I use the clear ones, and one is placed like a figure 8 on the part that opens out.

MickeyLee

Mythical Member
Staff
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
the rubber bands on barrettes is awesome!

anything I put in my hair migrates down to curl mass and becomes hopelessly entangled.