Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
again, extra letter much? sigh
Sneaky extra letters.
I once wrote a headline with " thieves attack (town name)" on the main headline. Sigh.

Discreet and discrete bother me because I wrote a long feature on modest dress in the culture, and the copy editors at the main office used discrete in the head, when I had discreet in the original. My by line, my rep.
I called the dude and he said he didn't know there were two forms of the word.
Copy editor.

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
What? You can't just make it a canopy?

Actually if you can take it down it is discrete.
Subtle, non showy is discreet. -et like secret is how I remembered it in school.
I'm glad someone said something. I didn't learn the difference until I was an adult, and the device I learned for remembering is that discrete means non-continuous or separate, and the ees in discrete are non-continuous and separate. Now we've got a device for each word! I just want to make the world a better place one sentence at a time!

Ohmigosh, I did a search for a pilates machine and this is kinda close!

Cadillac-Pilates-Table-Pilates-Reformer-SW-004-.jpg

NOW you see why I thought you had some delightfully strange exercise kink.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Altered, I have dyslexia, mild, and while I'm great with north, south, east, west; left and right cause a stutter in the brain. So I have to hold up my hands so I'm looking at the backs. The side that makes an L is left.
Sadly, I was 20 when someone taught me that.
It works quickly while driving. Just lift up the thumb and first finger from the steering wheel.

Reactions: LaFemme

AlteredEgo

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I was born dead, and remained dead for 11 minutes. That I can tie my own shoes is probably miraculous. My brain farts over similar concepts. I'm not sure how old I was, but I know friends I made in high school taught me the trick with the L on the left hand. I get lost the first time I enter anyone's house. I get lost inside stores. I can solve very complicated problems, but ask me to find my way out of Target and I'm toast. I have to make landmarks constantly. I only learn local geography through getting lost, which doesn't happen with GPS, so I'm totally screwed if anything happens to the satellites. I love watching movies and recognizing my landmarks and thinking, "Oh! I've been lost there!"

fluffychocolate

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I was born dead, and remained dead for 11 minutes. That I can tie my own shoes is probably miraculous. My brain farts over similar concepts. I'm not sure how old I was, but I know friends I made in high school taught me the trick with the L on the left hand. I get lost the first time I enter anyone's house. I get lost inside stores. I can solve very complicated problems, but ask me to find my way out of Target and I'm toast. I have to make landmarks constantly. I only learn local geography through getting lost, which doesn't happen with GPS, so I'm totally screwed if anything happens to the satellites. I love watching movies and recognizing my landmarks and thinking, "Oh! I've been lost there!"

I had to laugh at that last sentence.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
My store trick, look to the ceiling and follow natural light.

My daily pattern, add 15 minutes to get lost to every trip, every leg of every trip. Even if I've been there before. Job interview? Add 30.

I really want shoes with a subtle difference to show left and right. I had sneakers as a kid with those emblazoned on the toes. Now it could be a stitching pattern difference.
Because it's actually embarrassing with new people.
Getting directions from me: at the next intersection, turn your way, go two blocks then turn my way. (Seconds elapse as I do the L trick, and turn my body as if I were the car.) ok, left here.....and....ah....right in two blocks.

Reactions: fluffychocolate