Runners: What Kind Of Support Do You Prefer?

What kind of support do you prefer for running?

• None / go commando

Votes: 22 13.4%
  • Boxer briefs

Votes: 21 12.8%
  • Briefs

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • Shorts with built-in liners

Votes: 25 15.2%
  • Jock

Votes: 43 26.2%
  • Compression shorts or similar

Votes: 38 23.2%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.8%

• Total voters

MarcoJock

Legendary Member
Media
Prior to the pandemic, at the gym I’d jump on a treadmill to get a half hour run in before lifting. Since the pandemic I’ve been working out at home and have been running outside much more. When I ran on the treadmill at the gym I wore boxer briefs under my workout shorts. They provided just the right amount of support (I like a little flop without swinging around freely and I don’t like everything held tightly in place). In an air conditioned gym they weren’t too hot. After a month or so of running regularly outside I couldn’t stand the boxer briefs. They were hot, wet from sweating and I didn’t like the feeling on my legs. I switched to briefs. That was better for a while but still not ideal. In the past I’ve tried workout/running shorts with liners but they never fit right up front, in the back, around the legs, etc. I want something that’s a combination of commando and that has a little support — I realize those are conflicting requirements. lol

I’ve never owned nor worn a jock. They don’t look comfortable, especially the wide waistband. I saw a runners’/swimmers’ jock while surfing around online (see attached pics). Do any of runners on here have experience wearing these? Do they provide decent support? I don’t care that they are low cut and half my bush would hang out (I’m currently buzzed up) but they look flimsy as if I would have to pull them up frequently while running.

I set up a poll because I’m curious what other runners prefer to wear. I would also like to hear experiences and suggestions in the comments.

Thanks.

Marco

Attachments

Clrwtrdlbud71-fl

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Clearwater, Florida, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I wear this for the gym and for weight training: super comfortable, holds the boys and piece just right, and keeps me from ending up with a soppy wet underwear in the Florida heat. I have tried mesh jocks like the ones in your pics but found the material too rough and even chaffey, smooth cotton has been better for me

Cotton Stretch Jock Strap 3-Pack

chrisjason

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
I started running way back in junior high when jocks were required. Since, I've gone through all the phases boxers, briefs, boxer briefs, compression shorts, and the like. Recently, I went back to the jock.

Back when, I wore bike swimmers jocks. The closest I could find now was swimmer's jocks by Duke. I also use some Calvin Klein jocks (bought at a pride event). The thick waist band really has a purpose. It holds the inguinal canal and makes it less likely to get a hernia.

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Treyburn, North Carolina, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I tried jocks, and other supports, did fine for balls, but the rest was too cramped and had me adjusting way too often. For me, it is Just better to let balls adjust and pull up and dick move as needed. If people look it ok with me.

briefsguy_773

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
mostly wear adidas running shorts with the built in liner, miami weather is so humid don't like having multiple layers on. if i do wear something under shorts typically the Adidas Climalite Briefs.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I wear whatever I grab from the drawer. Mostly these are boxer briefs. I’ve never had a problem with the heat but have had problem with cold weather. If the briefs are too loose and I’m not tucked in, the cold can get really painful.

nwflguy88

Legendary Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I’ve tried it all, but prefer a jock. It gives my nuts, which are big, the support they need. Anything else and my boys are feeling sore afterwards. I like the smaller waist band styles. Used to wear Bike brand but have started wearing GYM brand that you can find on Amazon, since Bike is no longer. They are comfortable and supportive. Sometimes I can find running shorts with built in liners that will do a good enough job, so I can rotate between those and my jocks.

I wear running splits and most have liners. Everyone seems to enjoy a little bounce... so long as it’s not slapping against the side of my thigh.
I've used splits before as well and they work - the liners in my regular running shorts wear down after about 6 months - a year, so I have to regularly replace them. I hang about 5.5"-6" soft (pics in my profile), so I need support, otherwise the leg-slapping kicks in and I'm flopping all over the damned place!

bdantl99

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I have had a couple of shorts with liner before but I did not like them, because the provided barely any support and were tight. I used boxer briefs with a pouch upfront, like saxx and I like them, but a couple of months ago, i bought the Lululemon 4" surge short with liner and they are now my go to shorts. They are perfect, the liner is thin but supportive, it has a built in pouch for my phone and like all my Lululemon clothes, they are very high quality. I will buy them again for sure!

MarcoJock

Legendary Member
Media
So here’s an update.

Thanks to everyone who replied and sent me private messages.

One thing that struck me is this. The old style jocks do not seem to have evolved much since the 1950’s and the fashion style jocks are just that, fashion. Over the past decade or so, men’s underwear has seemed to evolve and manufacturers have started paying attention to men’s anatomy and the material used. (For example, while expensive, I love Tommy John.) But jocks do not seem to have evolved much.

I bought two styles of 2xist. I used to wear their briefs and they were always comfortable — still have some — and thought I’d try them. I also bought a couple of unheard of brands from Amazon. No doubt designing a jock has its challenges — guys’ junk comes in all shapes and sizes; guys’ asses come in all shapes and sizes; and guys’ needs for fit, e.g., light support vs a lot of support vary. I ordered the same size in all that I ordered.

First, the Amazon jocks. One was way too skimpy. While the waistband fit comfortably, the cut was really low. The bottom of the one-inch waistband sat just above the base of my cock. While a little peek of pubes can be sexy my buzzed up bush was basically in full view. They just looked awkward. Interestingly, the pouch was comfortable, I didn’t feel “squinched up” and when I emulated doing squats, my balls stayed neatly tucked in. The pouch just wasn’t cut high enough and I had the feeling that if I ran in them the waistband would fall even lower. The second jock was cut much better but the seams began to unravel after the second washing. Both went into the trash.

Next the 2xist. I bought one style in cotton + spandex and one style in polyester + spandex mesh. They are both super comfortable and hold and shape to my cock and balls nicely. However, when I run, the polyester + spandex “Speed Dri Mesh” fabric rubs against my cock head and makes it tingle. It neither excites me in a pleasurable, get boned up way nor is irritating. It’s just annoying. I kept them because they’re probably fine to work out in. I really liked the cotton + spandex. There is just enough spandex to provide a comfortable stretch and they shape nicely around my cock and balls and the “hold” is perfect — i.e., just the right amount of flopping around. And when I run they feel good next to my dick. I have worn them on several runs including with my neighbor across the street which led to a little story two days ago, on Monday.

My friends, and those who know me on here, know I always have a little story with everything. I don’t think my life is that exciting but I guess I have plenty of little encounters with guys — and a lot of times they don’t involve sex but are sexy. Since I haven’t been traveling and working out at the gym I went to in Miami, I supplement my “garage workouts” with my workout bud AG with running. I have been running a couple of times a week with my neighbor across the street. It’s good to have someone to pace with. He and his wife are like Ken and Barbie fitness. They are both late 20’s, really active, in great shape and super nice. They’re great neighbors to have and he is the guy on the block that has the right tool for every project around the house and loves helping out on weekend projects. He’s also a fine looking specimen! Totally and painfully straight too. They know I’m gay and are totally cool with it. They have met the guy I’m dating (another story) and always ask about him. On hotter days my neighbor and I usually run early in the morning and many times shirtless. He looks great! Of course when I’m running behind him I undress him and imagine that nice, naked sweaty ass of his. LOL He has one pair of shorts that he occasionally wears that I really like because they show the outline of his big cock head every time he wears them. My cheap thrills: running with my straight, shirtless neighbor, admiring his chest and seeing his visible dick line! LOL

Anyway, on Monday we went for a run. I had calls early (time difference) with my client in Miami so we ran early afternoon. We had a great run and went on one of the longer loops. Towards the end as we were running down the street before ours, both pretty drenched, he was behind me and said something like, “Dude those shorts are clinging to your ass. It’s like I’m looking at your naked ass.” He let out a big laugh and I gave him a running twerk and we both laughed. At the same time I processed that he had never mentioned my body before and had never said anything remotely sexual around me. I told him it was probably because I was wearing a jock and that I was trying them out for running. He said he’d tried a couple of jocks over the years for running and that while conceptually they’d seem like the perfect thing to wear they were always uncomfortable. He said he preferred shorts with liners. He happened to be wearing the shorts that show off his cock head. He was just behind me, over my left shoulder, and I turned, looked down and said, “Like those that always show off your big cock head?” As soon as I said it I thought to myself that I shouldn’t have said “big” and just stuck with “cock head.” He laughed and said, “You noticed.” I responded, “Of course I’ve noticed your dick in those shorts, every time you wear them. I’m gay.” He laughed and said, “I wear them just for you.” To which I replied, “Bastard.” We both laughed. He then said they were really comfortable but a little too revealing and that his wife wouldn’t let him wear them anywhere except out for runs. We both laughed. He then added that he’d love to go commando more often, but even in jeans his cock head shows and that he prefers to be more discreet. I couldn’t believe he was talking about his dick and it was one of those instances when the hot straight guy you’re attracted to mentions his cock and it drives you crazy. As we kept running I just let that last comment go — but I was now getting horny, thinking about what he looks like naked and wanting to see his cock! My dick was beginning to get a little hard.

He shared that he had a couple of pairs of Lululemon shorts with a liner that he really liked (these are not the shorts he was wearing that show off his cock), that we’re probably the same size and he’d let me borrow a pair to try out. We got back to his house first and he went inside to get them. He came back out, handed them to me and said with a laugh, “They’re clean. Please return them that way.” I wore the shorts this morning on a run by myself. They are the same ones @bdantl99 mentioned: Lululemon Surge Short 4”. For shorts with a liner they are the best I’ve worn. As I was running I thought about my dick and balls being in the same liner pouch as his dick and balls had been and started getting hard a few times. I was definitely leaking some precum. When I got back to my house I got even more horned up and massaged my cock and balls while wearing the shorts. I reached in them, pulled out my dick and was quickly hard. I stepped out of them and held them in my hand, looking at the liner, thinking about his cock and balls. I shot a big load into the pouch thinking about my neighbor’s body and his cock. I used the shorts to milk the last few drops of cum out of my cock. I chuckled to myself and thought “Wtf did you just do!” LOL I went into the laundry room, rinsed them out in the sink, sprayed some pre-wash stain remover on them and threw them into the wash. I just pulled them out of the dryer and they look like new! LOL

==> OK, was that sharing too much info about shooting a load into his shorts??

Long update. I guess the summary is: I don’t think I’m a jock strap guy like some guys are. While I’ve seen some guys look hot wearing them they’ve never been a huge turn on for me. In full disclosure, my boyfriend fucked me this weekend while I was wearing one (and my running shoes!) and said while it was hot in the moment he doesn’t have a jock fetish. Also I don’t think I’d be into wearing a jock under shorts or jeans but am going to give it a try. Functionally, a well-designed and made jock may be something I keep with my workout wear for running. I definitely prefer wearing one when it’s hot outside. And, I am going to order a couple of pairs of those Lululemon Surge Shorts.

Clean Cut and Hung

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
So here’s an update.

One thing that struck me is this. The old style jocks do not seem to have evolved much since the 1950’s and the fashion style jocks are just that, fashion. Over the past decade or so, men’s underwear has seemed to evolve and manufacturers have started paying attention to men’s anatomy and the material used. (For example, while expensive, I love Tommy John.) But jocks do not seem to have evolved much.

I bought two styles of 2xist. I used to wear their briefs and they were always comfortable — still have some — and thought I’d try them. I also bought a couple of unheard of brands from Amazon. No doubt designing a jock has its challenges — guys’ junk comes in all shapes and sizes; guys’ asses come in all shapes and sizes; and guys’ needs for fit, e.g., light support vs a lot of support vary. I ordered the same size in all that I ordered.

First, the Amazon jocks. One was way too skimpy. While the waistband fit comfortably, the cut was really low. The bottom of the one-inch waistband sat just above the base of my cock. While a little peek of pubes can be sexy my buzzed up bush was basically in full view. They just looked awkward. Interestingly, the pouch was comfortable, I didn’t feel “squinched up” and when I emulated doing squats, my balls stayed neatly tucked in. The pouch just wasn’t cut high enough and I had the feeling that if I ran in them the waistband would fall even lower. The second jock was cut much better but the seams began to unravel after the second washing. Both went into the trash.

Next the 2xist. I bought one style in cotton + spandex and one style in polyester + spandex mesh. They are both super comfortable and hold and shape to my cock and balls nicely. However, when I run, the polyester + spandex “Speed Dri Mesh” fabric rubs against my cock head and makes it tingle. It neither excites me in a pleasurable, get boned up way nor is irritating. It’s just annoying. I kept them because they’re probably fine to work out in. I really liked the cotton + spandex. There is just enough spandex to provide a comfortable stretch and they shape nicely around my cock and balls and the “hold” is perfect — i.e., just the right amount of flopping around. And when I run they feel good next to my dick. I have worn them on several runs including with my neighbor across the street which led to a little story two days ago, on Monday.

My friends, and those who know me on here, know I always have a little story with everything. I don’t think my life is that exciting but I guess I have plenty of little encounters with guys — and a lot of times they don’t involve sex but are sexy. Since I haven’t been traveling and working out at the gym I went to in Miami, I supplement my “garage workouts” with my workout bud AG with running. I have been running a couple of times a week with my neighbor across the street. It’s good to have someone to pace with. He and his wife are like Ken and Barbie fitness. They are both late 20’s, really active, in great shape and super nice. They’re great neighbors to have and he is the guy on the block that has the right tool for every project around the house and loves helping out on weekend projects. He’s also a fine looking specimen! Totally and painfully straight too. They know I’m gay and are totally cool with it. They have met the guy I’m dating (another story) and always ask about him. On hotter days my neighbor and I usually run early in the morning and many times shirtless. He looks great! Of course when I’m running behind him I undress him and imagine that nice, naked sweaty ass of his. LOL He has one pair of shorts that he occasionally wears that I really like because they show the outline of his big cock head every time he wears them. My cheap thrills: running with my straight, shirtless neighbor, admiring his chest and seeing his visible dick line! LOL

Anyway, on Monday we went for a run. I had calls early (time difference) with my client in Miami so we ran early afternoon. We had a great run and went on one of the longer loops. Towards the end as we were running down the street before ours, both pretty drenched, he was behind me and said something like, “Dude those shorts are clinging to your ass. It’s like I’m looking at your naked ass.” He let out a big laugh and I gave him a running twerk and we both laughed. At the same time I processed that he had never mentioned my body before and had never said anything remotely sexual around me. I told him it was probably because I was wearing a jock and that I was trying them out for running. He said he’d tried a couple of jocks over the years for running and that while conceptually they’d seem like the perfect thing to wear they were always uncomfortable. He said he preferred shorts with liners. He happened to be wearing the shorts that show off his cock head. He was just behind me, over my left shoulder, and I turned, looked down and said, “Like those that always show off your big cock head?” As soon as I said it I thought to myself that I shouldn’t have said “big” and just stuck with “cock head.” He laughed and said, “You noticed.” I responded, “Of course I’ve noticed your dick in those shorts, every time you wear them. I’m gay.” He laughed and said, “I wear them just for you.” To which I replied, “Bastard.” We both laughed. He then said they were really comfortable but a little too revealing and that his wife wouldn’t let him wear them anywhere except out for runs. We both laughed. He then added that he’d love to go commando more often, but even in jeans his cock head shows and that he prefers to be more discreet. I couldn’t believe he was talking about his dick and it was one of those instances when the hot straight guy you’re attracted to mentions his cock and it drives you crazy. As we kept running I just let that last comment go — but I was now getting horny, thinking about what he looks like naked and wanting to see his cock! My dick was beginning to get a little hard.

He shared that he had a couple of pairs of Lululemon shorts with a liner that he really liked (these are not the shorts he was wearing that show off his cock), that we’re probably the same size and he’d let me borrow a pair to try out. We got back to his house first and he went inside to get them. He came back out, handed them to me and said with a laugh, “They’re clean. Please return them that way.” I wore the shorts this morning on a run by myself. They are the same ones @bdantl99 mentioned: Lululemon Surge Short 4”. For shorts with a liner they are the best I’ve worn. As I was running I thought about my dick and balls being in the same liner pouch as his dick and balls had been and started getting hard a few times. I was definitely leaking some precum. When I got back to my house I got even more horned up and massaged my cock and balls while wearing the shorts. I reached in them, pulled out my dick and was quickly hard. I stepped out of them and held them in my hand, looking at the liner, thinking about his cock and balls. I shot a big load into the pouch thinking about my neighbor’s body and his cock. I used the shorts to milk the last few drops of cum out of my cock. I chuckled to myself and thought “Wtf did you just do!” LOL I went into the laundry room, rinsed them out in the sink, sprayed some pre-wash stain remover on them and threw them into the wash. I just pulled them out of the dryer and they look like new! LOL

Long update. I guess the summary is: I don’t think I’m a jock strap guy like some guys are. While I’ve seen some guys look hot wearing them they’ve never been a huge turn on for me. In full disclosure, my boyfriend fucked me this weekend while I was wearing one (and my running shoes!) and said while it was hot in the moment he doesn’t have a jock fetish. Also I don’t think I’d be into wearing a jock under shorts or jeans but am going to give it a try. Functionally, a well-designed and made jock may be something I keep with my workout wear for running. I definitely prefer wearing one when it’s hot outside. And, I am going to order a couple of pairs of those Lululemon Surge Shorts.

Thanks for the update.

I have never had an interest in wearing a jock strap. Too many things to get twisted up. When I work out and run I like shorts with liners. Underwear feels too much like an extra layer to me, like I’m wearing two pairs of shorts. I like the light feel and light support of liners. I don’t think I have ever had a pair where the liner did not feel right.

Hot that you jacked off into your neighbor’s shorts, thinking about his thick cock. Good thing you gave them a pre-soak and a good wash. Cum stains would be difficult to explain. Next time you see him wearing them I’m sure you will have a good chuckle to yourself!

You should offer to let him try out one of your jocks on a run. Tell him they may have improved since the last time he wore one.

bdantl99

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
So here’s an update.

Hot story! Happy that you could try them out before buying, I definitely love them. They are not best the shorts to show your package, but they offer good support! Keep on running, and feel free to post pictures of your new gear

Reactions: HorseHung40's
M

Mr Ed in Mass

When I ran in my younger days, I preferred the support of my friends and family,, they always encouraged me to run faster

Reactions: sider and breion

breion

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I discovered long ago when I used to run regularly that I’m always going to get hard so I go with compression shorts under the running shorts.

Reactions: HorseHung40's

MarcoJock

Legendary Member
Media
Thanks for the update.

I have never had an interest in wearing a jock strap. Too many things to get twisted up. When I work out and run I like shorts with liners. Underwear feels too much like an extra layer to me, like I’m wearing two pairs of shorts. I like the light feel and light support of liners. I don’t think I have ever had a pair where the liner did not feel right.

Hot that you jacked off into your neighbor’s shorts, thinking about his thick cock. Good thing you gave them a pre-soak and a good wash. Cum stains would be difficult to explain. Next time you see him wearing them I’m sure you will have a good chuckle to yourself!

You should offer to let him try out one of your jocks on a run. Tell him they may have improved since the last time he wore one.

I did laugh a little to myself when I handed his clean shorts back to him. If only he knew my spooge had been all over them.

I was hesitant as to offering him a jock to try out. I didn’t want to push things too far so I just thanked him and told him I ordered a couple pairs. Today I placed an order for two more brands of jocks. Maybe after I’ve tried them I’ll mention on one of our runs how comfortable one of the brands is and see how he responds.