Shirtless Running

D

deleted2696141

I run three times a week at the local parks/woods and I'm really enjoying it, but it's been a lot more humid in the mornings recently and it's getting a bit uncomfortable. I've already gone from hoodie, shorts, jock, and shoes down to shoes, shorts, and vest. That's been a huge relief for starters, but I'm finding my vest is drenched before I'm even halfway through my run.

The last time I ran I stripped off afterwards, I was in the woods that time and only saw one other person (out walking, he said hi and I replied the same) before I got back to town and put my vest on. I felt good, a lot cooler and I dried off faster too, so I'm wondering if shirtless running might be a thing to try.

I'm in okay shape but I have a fair bit of lingering body anxiety (partly from being bigger in my teens, partly from the gay community) so I'm a little uncertain tbh.

Does anyone else here do it? If so how often and how did you start? I guess I'm just curious to hear some reassurance lol

Yeah, when I'm in my gf area which has one of those fitness parks, I jog shirtless. Then I wear either my track pants or my running tights (sometimes I wear the running shirt that matches) I actually jog from her apartment complex to the park, then I jog around the trail there. I live in FL so it's always hot. And I sweat a lot when I'm in motion so I don't even bother with a shirt. It's very comfortable for me. Like who wants to jog around with a wet ass shirt? I typically go early in the morning, for one I'm a writer and it just helps me get in tune. The main reason is while I don't have an insecurity with being shirtless, I don't like drawing attention. It's uncomfortable sometimes when I'm waiting to cross the straight and there's a line of cars there and just people staring. Then I remind myself in my mind that I am glistened with sweat and my abs pop, of course they look, lol.

But I encourage you man. Just because it's very liberating, it's very comfortable, and you'll get more comfortable with it the more you do it. And don't worry about people that judge you. No matter how your body look, you'll be judged, might as well embrace yourself. Hope this helps.

DSF140

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I agree with @BeardedMuscle . No. If some chick or guy can't deal with my being shirtless while I'm jogging in the heat, then it's their problem, not mine. At least I'm exercising while they are at home eating bonbons and getting fatter by the day.

D

deleted972421

If people don't like the view of a shirtless runner, lawn mower, bicyclist, pedestrian, gardener, trash can taker-outter, mail box contents retriever, etc.... they can avert their eyes. It's really that simple.

Les38

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I always appreciate seeing guys running shirtless, no matter what their shape or age. There are a lot of them out lately. While it's always exciting to see the ones that are built and tanned, it's good to see others that may be not in shape or older being free and bare chested as well. I say go for it.

Clrwtrdlbud71-fl

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Clearwater, Florida, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Go for it dude, you already have the itch that you'll like it, now your mind is just being cautious. It feels great, it's practical (I hated getting a clean shirt for a 45 wear then having to be get a new shirt later bc the first one was a sweaty mess). The more you do it, the less the "should I...?" voice come up.

I don't disagree with @hzs3fg, but I've also hear the point of view of not taking a safety shirt as a tool to not back down later.

Keep us posted!

#shirtlesslifestyle
#shirtlessrocks

bigbucky

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I say do what you want. I'm 60+ and I don't go shirtless anymore unless the heat index gets 105+. in my early 50's, I worked out with weights and was built, tall, slender,muscular, and went shirtless a lot. had a good tan. my wife said I was very sexy. and apparently, some of the neighborhood women thought so to, flirting. one drive slightly off the road one day because she was checking me out

Jimpdxone

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
Is it really frowned upon for guys to run shirtless...?

I just started to run shirtless in the heat a few weeks ago...it felt so damn good and I couldn't believe I haven't done it before... But I do have the occasional people who give me dirty looks... I just block those people out and besides it's a public space and I give people plenty of room so my sweat doesn't get on them...

I always try to give people plenty of space...

You should definitely give it a go and the feeling of the wind on your chest is amazing!! Just don't pay attention to the nay sayers... I don't think there is any rule or law that says guys can't run shirtless...be happy and run happy!

LargeUnit

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
I am similar - I rarely run shirtless, simply because getting looks makes me feel a bit uncomfortable.

The women in my life tell me the opposite- they say I should never wear a shirt when I run.
I still can’t do it unless it’s really hot.

DSF140

Mythical Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
It's quite common where I am, in the south east of the US. Go for it, but realise that you will be looked at by gay guys the same way that straight guys look at chicks. So also, use your shirtless running as inspiration for your workouts. In no time you'll start to get pissed off when the weather turns colder each autumn.

leonceswim

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
60% Straight, 40% Gay
In Texas, summer temps average above 100 F daily. It's super common and no one thinks twice about it. Even guys who are not in the best shape after accepted. Girls will even run with just their shorts bra top. I say go for it. Be comfortable!

D

deleted2696141

Thanks guys, I'm really grateful for all of the replies. I don't entirely agree with all of them, but even those ones are thought-provoking. Typically this morning was a fair bit cooler and it even rained while I was out (note to self, maybe don't wear a white vest, lol).

In terms of age/beauty limits on bodies... Yeah I can believe that's an opinion some would hold based on the values we see in society. Personally I think it's sketchy to insist only people who meet specific, time-limited, hard to achieve standards of appearance can dress according to their body's comfort in terms of temperature.

As I said up front I used to be a lot bigger and that's precisely the sort of rubbish that led to me losing weight in a series of unhealthy ways before finally deciding that I should just be grateful for the body I have. If it's any reassurance I do work out but it's for the physical/mental health benefits, having abs (if I tense, hold my breath, angle the camera just so, and have generous lighting...) is by-product. Anyway, body positivity rant over :)

For context I head out at around 6am and am back by 7am or so, I see other joggers and some dog walkers but that's about it. There area where I run is fairly secluded and has lots of branching paths, so if someone does chance upon my deathly pale, almost 40 year old(!) flesh we'll both have lots of chances to veer away in horror.

I figure I'll see how the weather goes first. I'm in the UK so we might have used up our annual allowance of 2 weeks of Summer already. If it gets humid again in the mornings I'll give it a go.

Laced

Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I say do what you are comfortable with - but always have a shirt nearby in case you DO want to take a trip inside.

Honestly who gives a shit what people think?
And who is to say it’s “inappropriate” after a certain age? Round, square, thick or thin - always just do what you feel comfortable with man (within reason).

xo

BeardedMuscle

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
The rule of thumb around here seems to be it's o.k. until you're out of college/over the age of 22. Older than that, women I'm familiar with don't want to see a shirtless guy running. Suffer with a shirt like the rest of us do. It's been humid and in the high-80° to mid-90° (f) here for a couple weeks now, and guys are still wearing shirts, including me.
No.

hzs3fg

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
The rule of thumb around here seems to be it's o.k. until you're out of college/over the age of 22. Older than that, women I'm familiar with don't want to see a shirtless guy running. Suffer with a shirt like the rest of us do. It's been humid and in the high-80° to mid-90° (f) here for a couple weeks now, and guys are still wearing shirts, including me.

You make an interesting point. After a certain age, even a very fit body is still not welcome on public display.

On the other hand, there are, no doubt, people that think I shouldn't walk around in Levi's shorts showing my bare (but hairy) legs. Or, T-shirts - I know people that think T's are inappropriate after about age 20-something.

I say, to hell with all of them.

Clrwtrdlbud71-fl

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Clearwater, Florida, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Hmm I gotta respectful my disagree w @twoton and @hzs3fg on not Ok after a certain age; maybe it's a regional difference, in my experience even my prudish/reserved wife encourage s me (49yo) to run and even mow the front yard shirtless, comments positively on others 'after a certain age' shirtless outside, and so do other friends.
Remember also the dad bod phenomenon that is/was going on, how ladies dig that sh*t I don't understand, but it's a hit. Loose the shirt guys, be guys, free up

Golfinguy617

Sexy Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Just started running shirtless and it’s very empowering to do it, throw in some short running shorts too, def helps to stay cool in this heat. Plus I don’t have to put bandaids on my nipples for chafing haha