Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hey all,

Have booked a few nights in NOLA over labor day for decadence. Really have no idea what to expect given I’m from Australia and have never been to New Orleans. We have tickets to Horse Meat Disco but have no other real plans.

Can anybody share their experiences of either HMD or decadence in general, especially with regards to the crowd we should expect, general vibe and parties we should go to. Regarding HMD having never been, can we get away with shorts and a tee or are we expected to show more skin upon entry?

We are a couple in our mid 30’s open whilst we travel. Into all types but generally more twinky. Also into saunas, cruising venues and just standard clubs.

Yea I know it’s going to be fucking hot, but we can live with some sweatiness.

Thanks for any advice.

Can't help you with that side of NOLA, but I visit there quite often. Wonderful city, but stay in the good parts. It can be pretty seedy at times.

I've stayed in the Quarter, Garden District, and around City Park. All wonderful places. Bourbon Street is just a bit too silly and is almost a parody of itself. Good music though.

But they do know how to party, and Southern Decadence sounds to be a more contained Mardi Gras (Pro tip: never go to NOLA for Mardi Gras).

Yes, NOLA at this time of the year is extreme. Stay hydrated. And bring extra shirts!

Enjoy yourselves!

Can't help you with that side of NOLA, but I visit there quite often. Wonderful city, but stay in the good parts. It can be pretty seedy at times.

I've stayed in the Quarter, Garden District, and around City Park. All wonderful places. Bourbon Street is just a bit too silly and is almost a parody of itself. Good music though.

But they do know how to party, and Southern Decadence sounds to be a more contained Mardi Gras (Pro tip: never go to NOLA for Mardi Gras).

Yes, NOLA at this time of the year is extreme. Stay hydrated. And bring extra shirts!

Enjoy yourselves!

Got it, thanks for the device. Yes, will be staying in the garden district for respite from the craziness as required.

I've been to decadence many times. I'm pretty tamed but I'll give you my take. I've never stayed in town for the whole event. I'm usually there visiting friends and family and just happen to pop in to the bars for a drink.

I don't know much about the events, but the bars are packed. If you have the option to buy a wristband that will get you into all the bars I would do that. Most of the mainstream bars are just like regular bars in the city. But if you're into some backroom or exibitionalism there are bars off the beaten path you can find to explore that. I think there is one called the Phoenix that's a bit off bourbon street that has a room upstairs where all kinds of fun can happen.

It will be deathly hot and humid so wear tank tops and short shorts the whole weekend. If you're into leather and lace wear your harness. Overall the vibe is extremely chill. You'll make friends in the airport and continue to make friends all weekend.

Hey all,

Have booked a few nights in NOLA over labor day for decadence. Really have no idea what to expect given I’m from Australia and have never been to New Orleans. We have tickets to Horse Meat Disco but have no other real plans.

Can anybody share their experiences of either HMD or decadence in general, especially with regards to the crowd we should expect, general vibe and parties we should go to. Regarding HMD having never been, can we get away with shorts and a tee or are we expected to show more skin upon entry?

We are a couple in our mid 30’s open whilst we travel. Into all types but generally more twinky. Also into saunas, cruising venues and just standard clubs.

Yea I know it’s going to be fucking hot, but we can live with some sweatiness.

Thanks for any advice.
I’m guessing you are from Melbourne?
I live in New Orleans in the Garden District. I’ve been at the edges of Decadence a few times but a few friends are encouraging me to go. There is a funny parade you should attend and also there is Oz (as in Wizard of, not Australia). Large gay bar.

For something different there is Good Friends which is a pleasant place more like a pub.

Unfortunately there are no saunas left here. I used to go to the 2 here in New Orleans. It was a good outlet for younger closeted me.

The Phoenix is a leather bar but the upstairs is men only and that’s where sex happens.

Send me a private message if you want more details.