Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'm a trainer at a gym and the lead trainer smokes whenever he gets a chance. No client? Walks outside to smoke. It's disgusting and I would never hire him. Hire me instead LOL

it’s 2021 we do lines now /s

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
People who take pictures or videos of their workouts. Just today I almost tripped over a cellphone attached to a mini-tripod in the middle of the gym floor that some diva in tight yoga pants was using to film herself doing bent-over rows. I've seen several other instances in the past as well of guys taking either selfies or of their gym bro I'm guessing for Fakebook or something so they could let the world know "Look at me! I'm at the gym!" There also seems to be a trend to take selfies in the locker room mirror after work-outs too.

Unless these people are professional trainers with a YouTube channel (and if true they sure as hell wouldn't be instructing others by filming in a gym where everything is purple) I also find this display of vanity an invasion of privacy as I have no desire to end up on someone's social media page without my permission just because I happen to be there at the same time and cameras should definitely not be allowed in the locker room.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
People who take pictures or videos of their workouts. Just today I almost tripped over a cellphone attached to a mini-tripod in the middle of the gym floor that some diva in tight yoga pants was using to film herself doing bent-over rows. I've seen several other instances in the past as well of guys taking either selfies or of their gym bro I'm guessing for Fakebook or something so they could let the world know "Look at me! I'm at the gym!" There also seems to be a trend to take selfies in the locker room mirror after work-outs too.

Unless these people are professional trainers with a YouTube channel (and if true they sure as hell wouldn't be instructing others by filming in a gym where everything is purple) I also find this display of vanity an invasion of privacy as I have no desire to end up on someone's social media page without my permission just because I happen to be there at the same time and cameras should definitely not be allowed in the locker room.

I would report it to the management. The gym must have rules about this. Male or female, it's just wrong. At my last gym (Powerhouse), signs were all over to minimize phone use while working out. No photos were allowed without prior authorization. Locker rooms are off limits and not allowed at all... Male or female. My current gym Fitness 19 has not such rules I could find. But if I saw someone taking pics for vids I'd report them - male or female. No excuses.

T

T_Lurch

What are some of the stupid things you witness people doing in the gym? It could be anything from improperly performing an exercise, not using equipment right or just being a general douchbag.

Something I see far more often than what should be an isolated thing is how guys use the Triceps extension machine. The one in my gym looks pretty much like this:
life-fitness-pro-1-triceps-extension.jpg

Rather than sit on it and extend their arms, for some reason these guys will stand in front of the machine and with the handles horizontal towards them push down like they are inflating a tire with a bike pump.
Maybe there is a purpose to doing it this way I'm not aware of, but I think it's more than likely they are just making themselves look like gym noobs. It makes me think there is either a lot of misinformation on YouTube or these guys see others do it and think that's accomplishing something to give them gains. Like I said, it's not just one person I've seen.
Usually to do triceps I use a rope pulldown machine. I used to do "headaches" (also known as skullcrushers where you lie down and reach behind you to grab the bar and pull it up, then bring it down towards your forehead, but my elbows couldn't take it anymore. Some people haven't been taught properly how to use the equipment.

My pet peeve in gyms are the people who sit down on a machine and do one set, then move to the next machine and do a set, then the next, etc. What's the point??? I do 4 sets of ten or more on a machine. Doing one measly set isn't going to do anything for your muscles, and you're hogging the machines from people who might actually use them.

That, and the meatheads who bellow and scream like they're giving birth to a durian. Jeez, buddy we get it. You're strong. Now keep quiet so I can hear my own music in my earbuds.

coopturn

Expert Member
Media
For me it’s not so much the stupid things I see as much as it is the stupid things I hear. #1 on my list are all the self appointed nutrition experts. Mostly guys, who’ve read a few articles in Men’s Health, Men’s Fitness, etc. on diet and now suddenly they’re dietitians. Most of the “advice” they dole out is usually wrong.

chrisrobin

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Its the constant background buzz of music to loud, texting and cells going off... surely the time is supposed to be spend improving the body not exercising the fingers. Guys who pop in full of the best intentions just before a holiday knowing full well whatever they improve will be lost at the first bar. The guy who asks a question while pulling his blaring headset away from his ear.

Reactions: longstroke7

longstroke7

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Having had an at home set up for the last several months I do not miss the gym. Working out is a personal time for me where I can focus on myself mentally and physically and not having the distractions and noise of gym bros has made my workouts much more satisfying.

I miss the women of course.

gideon8

Loved Member
Media
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
Hahaha!! Overheard this little gem the other day.

Bro #1: ‘ What ab workout do you do?’
Bro #2: ‘ I never train abs man, all you have to do is eat a shitload of protein and no carbs. Drink lots of water and they’ll show.’

For me it’s not so much the stupid things I see as much as it is the stupid things I hear. #1 on my list are all the self appointed nutrition experts. Mostly guys, who’ve read a few articles in Men’s Health, Men’s Fitness, etc. on diet and now suddenly they’re dietitians. Most of the “advice” they dole out is usually wrong.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual

ahhhh. Broscience.
I spend half my time undoing the damage that Kenny on Reddit did b

IntactMale

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Asheville (North Carolina, United States)
Verification
View
Sexuality
Unsure
I don't use the gym at all now, but before covid I was only using the gym to swim laps and did the rest of my exercising at home. These are the annoying things that I see people do in the pool:

Some people slap their arms and legs on the surface of the water constantly while they swim. I think this is the equivalent of people yelling and grunting loudly while lifting weights. All the splashing is wasted energy and doesn't make you move any faster, and you don't get the benefit of the resistance of the water when your limbs are outside of it. The worst part is when you swim past these people and catch their splashes or wake while trying to take a breath. But it also distracts from the state of mind you need to achieve in order to swim laps for an extended period of time.

People who don't know how to lane share. If you're serious about swimming then it really sucks to share a lane, but especially if its with someone who doesn't swim close to the same pace as you, faster or slower. Usually the faster swimmers are experienced so they can spot who is a comparable swimmer, but the slower swimmers either can't tell or don't care. Those people usually spend most of their time resting at the end of the lane, but when they do swim they don't respect that both people have to share the lane and drift across the mid point. Whenever I get interrupted part way through trying to improve my half mile time I know its going to be by an old man with an enormous gut, a discolored bath suit he bought on vacation 30 years ago, with full face goggles and a snorkel who wants to swim the length of the pool once over the course of 15 minutes and he's got to use my lane to do it.

People who tread water or do water aerobics in the lap lanes. Most pools have an area designated for that kind of activity, but for some reason people use the lanes anyways. This is especially bad when it forces people swimming laps to share lanes. The same goes for people who just finished working out and want to cool off in the pool. It's annoying, but those people pay for the gym and get to do that so it doesn't annoy me too much as long as they aren't too loud. But the big problem with those people is that I know what they didn't do, which is the next thing.

People who don't shower before getting in the pool. Its disgusting. It's always people who aren't serious about swimming, or who are just jumping in for a minute, and it ruins the pool for the people who want to use it regularly. It's bad enough when its someone who just came into the gym and hasn't showered since the morning, but people who are sweaty from working out and jump in the pool without showering are real assholes and shouldn't be allowed to use the pool if they do that.

Swim classes. For some reason every gym has swim lessons for kids that shuts down half of the pool and they tend to do this during the busiest hours of the day. People say "their membership is paid for too," but our memberships don't cost the same, and those people would throw a fit if half of the free weights, circuit machines, or whatever other equipment were reserved for a class every day during peak hours. I feel that way about all classes taught in a lap pool that are not specific to swimming laps. Swim team meets make sense (still really annoying), but the kayaking classes that used to happen each night at my gym were ludicrous.

People who sit by the pool and use their cell phones. I know nobody is doing it to get footage of me, but it still makes me self conscious. It's tough enough to work out in front of other people without being made to feel like someone might be recording you whether its because they like how you look or don't like how you look.

wants2havefun

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
There used to be a married guy who had a good finance job in NYC but "worked" at my local gym, for 8 hours over the weekends, so he could have a free membership, and even working there, he wouldn't hesitate to play in the sauna or steam room. He also placed ads on CraigsList and would meet up with guys at the gym.

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

There used to be one like this in my gym I called "The Professor". I hardly ever saw him actual do any actual exercise as he spent all his time making the rounds and trying to give others advice or complementing them on their muscles when he saw an opening. Apparently from what I could gather he worked either in a nutrition store or had a buddy with some supplement YouTube channel. He was extremely annoying.

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Guys who think doing a thousand sets for a muscle (especially when it's a small one like their arms) will make it grow to Schwarzenegger proportions overnight when all they are doing is monopolizing the equipment.

There's one guy who whenever I see him there I know I'm never going to be able to use the cable stacks as he will be there the entire time I am. Even if he is already there when I come in, I know he will be there after I leave (and my work-out averages only an hour) and all he does is set after set of cables for his arms. Different attachments. Standing, sitting and lying on a bench. Dude has to do a least dozens of sets of one type and then move on to a dozens of more of another; although sometimes it seems like half the time he is either lying on a bench in front of the cables listening to his jams or pacing around but only so far from the stack so no one else can jump in. Because he is one of the majority of the maskless super-spreaders at the gym and since he uses both or alternatives between both sides of the cable stack, I have to stay away from that area and it pisses me off because I know I'll be having to forgo any kind of cable work like tricep pushdowns that day.

Despite all his effort, while he does have huge arms, they are of the fat, more gristle than meat variety much like the rest of him so he is too stupid to realize he is overtraining them and should concentrate more his time on the freaking treadmill.

socalfreak

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I see this fairly frequently:
Guys who are upset that my girl lifts more than them & try to outdo her.
Presumably, their paper mache egos can't handle the fact that a girl is stronger than them.
So, they stare for a bit... Get their feathers ruffled.. Decide they're going to show her they're stronger....
They pick a spot close to where she is ... Grab a weight that's too much for them... Try to copy the exercise she's doing... Use insanely shitty form.... Get even more upset when my girl realizes what they're doing and increases the weight she's using..
They get pissed off.... And, ultimately, take their emasculated selves and light switch sized peckers somewhere else...
Like... Dude... She's strong. Worry about yourself. If your training habits were better, you might catch up. Lol

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
There used to be one like this in my gym I called "The Professor". I hardly ever saw him actual do any actual exercise as he spent all his time making the rounds and trying to give others advice or complementing them on their muscles when he saw an opening. Apparently from what I could gather he worked either in a nutrition store or had a buddy with some supplement YouTube channel. He was extremely annoying.
Why do the facilities put up with that? They usually push their own pills.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I’m going to tell on myself.
I go to a gym because I “should.” It’s a chore. I’d rather be hiking. But we had feet of snow thawing/melting/sublimating on the trails.
I got on a treadmill, set the incline, time, pace, blah blah....
And accidentally erased the memory.
There’s a reason I’m only allowed iPad and iPhone.

Hulkinator

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay

I set up my phone to record my sets at times to check my form. Allot of power lifters in my gym do that for every workout especially the competive guys getting there programs fine tuned. I see nothing wrong with it.

D

deleted471226

Also, if you want to use the equipment I'm using after me, don't literally stand over me while you wait for me to finish. Especially with the virus going around.