Stupid Things You See In The Gym

MrTMT

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Excessive grunting or vocalizations when lifting. There was a dude in the gym this week that, when he lifted, sounded like he was having an orgasm with each rep. Not a deep sounding orgasm... but one that sounded more like a whimper. I don't get it.
I had similar experience, but this time, a middle age nice looking guy was doing sit ups on the yoga mat on the floor, as I was right next to him doing the sit up also. This was pre-COVID 19. He made the grunting sound which was loud enough to heard and tbh it turned me on so bad as I was imagined what it was like to hear that while he was having sex.

D

deleted5199391

Luckily our coach controls everything in the gym. Stupid things and any unnecessary talking are forbidden.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
not using the rowing machines correctly,
it is about the legs not the arms it is not a curl machine.
just watch a video please...
Indoor Rowing Technique
Given the number of light users/newbies/ never trained/trained incorrectly, gyms should have YT channels of correct form on machines. And maybe a screen/text area by the desk for it.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I'm a trainer at a gym and the lead trainer smokes whenever he gets a chance. No client? Walks outside to smoke. It's disgusting and I would never hire him. Hire me instead LOL
Don’t smoke, and don’t tell me to go keto, and you have a much higher chance of me hiring you.
Oh, and don’t tell me to push through for jeeebus.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Overweight or obese women, usually middle aged, go to hip adducutor machine, work their inner thighs 3 times and get off, or walk so slowly on the treadmill and drink sugar laden drinks....then complain that they can't lose weight!
I’ve seen that with men. High body fat, not into the swing yet, guzzling Gatorade. They just look so defeated. You feel pity.

T

T_Lurch

I’ve seen that with men. High body fat, not into the swing yet, guzzling Gatorade. They just look so defeated. You feel pity.
I've never been a believer in Gatorade. Full of sugar. Strictly water for me if I'm dehydrated and thirsty.

I've heard pickle juice is supposedly full of electrolytes and good for you. Seen it sold at Ace Hardware.

Reactions: Scarletbegonia

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A lot of them do it. It's just another tacked on charge for the sake of charging more money, like the "dealers' fees" car dealerships charge. Except separate and done later in the year.

And like I said, those fees aren't even used for actual "maintenance" since things stay broken for so long at my gym...they are just pocketing the extra charge. In fact as of yesterday, the machine is question still had the sign on it, although at least no one tried to use it while I was there, so I guess some of the meatheads there made it past elementary school.

I did get to be subjected to the aforementioned flexing guy who after his workout, predictably doffed his hoody and proceeded to do all kinds of poses at the mirror like he was a modern Egyptian hieroglyphic.

Add to that "music man", who entertained us by spending more time pacing around then actually working out while grooving to his earbud jams out loud.

And in what I guess should be a separate entry for "Stupid things you see in the gym", was the regular I call "Garbage bag man", who always wears one of those plastic sauna suit things while working out; the better to get his sweat all over equipment I rarely see him clean afterwards. Sometimes he is joined by his girlfriend who also wears a Hefty Bag ensemble, forcing me to check myself when I go to throw away a paper towel, least I toss it at one of them by mistake.

While I've never worked at a gym, but I have worked at both car dealers and time shares in a non-sales capacity and shady practices and hidden ways to make more money are indeed standard among all three.

Reactions: T_Lurch
T

T_Lurch

And like I said, those fees aren't even used for actual "maintenance" since things stay broken for so long at my gym...they are just pocketing the extra charge. In fact as of yesterday, the machine is question still had the sign on it, although at least no one tried to use it while I was there, so I guess some of the meatheads there made it past elementary school.

I did get to be subjected to the aforementioned flexing guy who after his workout, predictably doffed his hoody and proceeded to do all kinds of poses at the mirror like he was a modern Egyptian hieroglyphic.

Add to that "music man", who entertained us by spending more time pacing around then actually working out while grooving to his earbud jams out loud.

And in what I guess should be a separate entry for "Stupid things you see in the gym", was the regular I call "Garbage bag man", who always wears one of those plastic sauna suit things while working out; the better to get his sweat all over equipment I rarely see him clean afterwards. Sometimes he is joined by his girlfriend who also wears a Hefty Bag ensemble, forcing me to check myself when I go to throw away a paper towel, least I toss it at one of them by mistake.

While I've never worked at a gym, but I have worked at both car dealers and time shares in a non-sales capacity and shady practices and hidden ways to make more money are indeed standard among all three.
Accessories make the man, you know. Imagine how much that plastic ensemble must stink after a good workout. Pew!!!

You could probably do a whole atlas-sized book on the wild fauna of the gym.

Reactions: Motion-of-the-Ocean

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Overweight or obese women, usually middle aged, go to hip adducutor machine, work their inner thighs 3 times and get off, or walk so slowly on the treadmill and drink sugar laden drinks....then complain that they can't lose weight!

At least with a woman I can excuse their use of either the abductor/adductor or torso twist machines as being merely misinformed when it comes to the myth of "spot reducing" and if they wish to waste their time doing nothing, it's on them. But when I see some guy, who clearly wants to be a muscled Alpha, sitting there with their legs spread like they are getting ready to push out a watermelon...time to give up your Man Card, dude.

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
Accessories make the man, you know. Imagine how much that plastic ensemble must stink after a good workout. Pew!!!

You could probably do a whole atlas-sized book on the wild fauna of the gym.

There was a humorous E book I once read about the very subject, so someone already beat me to it :(. But it was interesting to find almost every example that was mentioned I've personally witnessed, so it clearly wasn't fiction. About the only exception was the claim of gym goers blow-drying their privates in the locker room that I've fortunately been spared so far. In fact given that I've only seen less than a handful of customers even nude while in the locker room, that would no doubt be disappointing to quite a few LPSG members.

Reactions: T_Lurch

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
I've never been a believer in Gatorade. Full of sugar. Strictly water for me if I'm dehydrated and thirsty.

I've heard pickle juice is supposedly full of electrolytes and good for you. Seen it sold at Ace Hardware.
Also, actual pickle juice, diluted.

dante33

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I use it for example, if I'm snorkeling or diving. Swimming takes up a lot of energy, so a bit of extra free sugar is never a bad idea...

At gym I drink a BCAA mix with electrolites. All the aminoacids and electrolytes, none of the sugars.

T

T_Lurch

I use it for example, if I'm snorkeling or diving. Swimming takes up a lot of energy, so a bit of extra free sugar is never a bad idea...

At gym I drink a BCAA mix with electrolites. All the aminoacids and electrolytes, none of the sugars.
I can see using it if blood sugar is low, but most of the time people get plenty of sugar from other stuff.

Some of the electrolyte waters are probably very good for activities where one has sweated like a hooker in church, like after a marathon or climbing, or cycling.

I tried the Squincher freezer pops someone gave us at work when we were cleaning out and putting sealer down in a hot 100° warehouse once, but the damn things were terrible; tasted like the bottom of a birdcage.

Motion-of-the-Ocean

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
These people who think they are auditioning for America Has No Talent. Every time I've gone now for the past few weeks I've been subjected to wanna-be rappers, pop star divas and Latin crooners more concerned with getting attention than improving their bodies it seems. Some apparently spend more time pacing around the gym (maybe trolling for tips?), then at a machine working on any kind of routine.

They don't realize there is a time and place for this. In the shower at home. In their car (preferably with the windows up). At the Karaoke bar when they had one too many and feel like making a fool out of themselves. But the gym shouldn't be one of these.

Nobody more than I realizes the repetitious Musak in the gym sucks and that your personal playlist makes you so happy you feel like you're walking on sunshine or chasing waterfalls (sorry :rolleyes:). But please enjoy the lyrics in your head, not through your mouth.

As a side note: the damn chest press machine is still broken :mad:.

dante33

Cherished Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
the damn chest press machine is still broken :mad:.

Jeesh... The abductor machine broke in my gym last week. They had to get one of those purpose-made gears, but was fixed (by the owner/coach, no less) in less than a week...
In fact, there's a small compartment under the stairs filles with tools, spare wire and lubricants. Something squeaking? Lubbed. Cable snaps? Fixed within the hour.

This is why I prefer family-owned gyms to chain ones: the owners of smaller gyms take care of their equipment and pay attention to their customers. When you start, the coach pays extra attetion to make sure you are not injured and to make sure you are making all excercises correctly.
When I went to a chain gym, the turn coach just stood there chatting with the receptionist, most of the time on the entrance sid eof the reception, facing away from his working area. People came and went and he paid no attention whatsoever to them. I reported a machine had broken and he was like, "so? It's not my job fixing it".
When you deal with employees you deal with people that ultimately will not give their best to a business that it's not theirs.

ChicagoPole

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Gay, 20% Straight
There's a guy at my gym who is all about the 'show'.
Brings a note book / pen - makes copious notes
  • Approaches rack / bench
  • Starts jamming out to whatever he's listening
  • Stands in places and gets hyper focused
  • Cocks neck back and forth
  • Takes a deep breath
  • Adjusts gloves
Steps back - reviews the set up
Does one or two reps of whatever he's working on.
Stops. More copious notes.
80% of his gym time is the show.

Reactions: Juanlw4444

Hulkinator

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There's a guy at my gym who is all about the 'show'.
Brings a note book / pen - makes copious notes
  • Approaches rack / bench
  • Starts jamming out to whatever he's listening
  • Stands in places and gets hyper focused
  • Cocks neck back and forth
  • Takes a deep breath
  • Adjusts gloves
Steps back - reviews the set up
Does one or two reps of whatever he's working on.
Stops. More copious notes.
80% of his gym time is the show.

I take notes for my workouts. I kinda do this to get into the zone

Reactions: Plasticroad1