The Biden Presidency

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Biden assures Cuban Americans, face to face, he is committed to empowering the Cuban people | Opinion

This past week, I was honored to participate in a meeting with the president, alongside a diverse group of Cuban-American community leaders — including Yotuel, the author and lead singer of the Cuban freedom anthem “Patria y Vida.” Each of us brought a range of experiences, backgrounds and viewpoints, but all had deep ties to our brothers and sisters on the island.

While we might differ on tactics, we are all in pursuit of our common goal and aspiration for a free Cuba, and the president is firmly with us. It speaks to the uniqueness of this moment — and to his presidency.

In the meeting, Biden demonstrated his profound empathy with the Cubans’ pain and desire for freedom. He also empathized those of us in this country, saying: “Cuban Americans are hurting. They’re hurting because their loved ones are suffering. And it’s, quite frankly, intolerable. So, I want the Cuban Americans to know that we — myself included — see your pain, we hear your voices, and we hear the cries of freedom coming from the island.”

The president repeatedly made clear that his administration is answering their calls.

DEMOCRATIC PARTY:

Evictions Are Coming. Democrats “Failed to Meet This Moment,” Say Democrats. – Mother Jones

Ocasio-Cortez: Democrats can't blame GOP for end of eviction moratorium | TheHill

AND:

Joe Manchin says he 'can't really guarantee anybody' that the Democratic-led reconciliation package will pass the Senate

Manchin 'can't imagine' supporting change to filibuster for voting rights | TheHill

phonehome

Superior Member
Media
Reactions: b.c.

phonehome

Superior Member
Media

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Well, the Taliban is making great inroads thanks to Biden’s decision to pull out of Afghanistan earlier than planned.

Go Joe!

Live Updates: Taliban Seize 3 Afghan Capital Cities in a Day
The current disastrous result is what was going to happen whether the pullout began now, in a year, or in five years.
The whole exercise was always going to be pointless.

The U.S. should have tried to go in surgically to get Bin Ladin and then gotten the hell out.

Reactions: Klingsor and b.c.

Jjz1109

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
350 million VACCINATIONS AKA "shots in arms" or "doses given"

Pfizer and Moderna takes 2 shots so it take 200 million shots to "fully vaccinate" 100 million people which is about where we are at

Appreciate the fact check.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
The current disastrous result is what was going to happen whether the pullout began now, in a year, or in five years.
The whole exercise was always going to be pointless.

The U.S. should have tried to go in surgically to get Bin Ladin and then gotten the hell out.

While I can't say for sure that our efforts in Afghanistan could never have succeeded, it does seem like the whole thing has been a dubious effort at best. We've had twenty years, and multiple administrations, to achieve some kind of lasting results. If we haven't done so in all that time, what reason is there to believe we ever will? How long do you keep throwing good money after bad?

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
While I can't say for sure that our efforts in Afghanistan could never have succeeded, it does seem like the whole thing has been a dubious effort at best. We've had twenty years, and multiple administrations, to achieve some kind of lasting results. If we haven't done so in all that time, what reason is there to believe we ever will? How long do you keep throwing good money after bad?
Exactly my point.

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Exactly my point.

That's why they call me Captain Obvious! :)

But don't get me wrong. After all the time, money, and especially human lives expended on this war, I would much rather see some kind of success--a stable, lasting, reasonably democratic government in Afghanistan. It's distressing to think our efforts may end up having been for nothing. While it's foolish to continue fighting for what appears to be a hopeless cause, it's painfully difficult to give up on it entirely.

This is why I don't comment that frequently on foreign affairs, and why I'm so glad I'm not called upon to make these kinds of decisions.

ConanTheBarber

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response

But don't get me wrong. After all the time, money, and especially human lives expended on this war, I would much rather see some kind of success--a stable, lasting, reasonably democratic government in Afghanistan. It's distressing to think our efforts may end up having been for nothing. While it's foolish to continue fighting for what appears to be a hopeless cause, it's painfully difficult to give up on it entirely.

This is why I don't comment that frequently on foreign affairs, and why I'm so glad I'm not called upon to make these kinds of decisions.
It's indeed sad that that investment went for nothing.
2,300 American lives.
21,000 U.S. soldiers injured.
$2 trillion that could have found better use.
It's the folly of attempting nation building when not all the people in the nation welcome your help.
Idealistic in many ways, but an express route to defeat and disaster.

b.c.

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View

Agree with both of these K. It's indeed difficult (if not angering) seeing the scenes that are playing out in Afghanistan these last couple of days, knowing what may happen to many Afghans (especially women) in the aftermath. And one can't help but wonder whether this could've been handled much better. But after all that time and investment in training Afghan soldiers to fight for themselves, only to have reports of them just throwing down their weapons?? (and I remember reports of the Iraqis doing likewise.) After 20 YEARS of support??

I don't know. Have to wonder whether it was worth it.

Reactions: Freddie53

Klingsor

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Agree with both of these K. It's indeed difficult (if not angering) seeing the scenes that are playing out in Afghanistan these last couple of days, knowing what may happen to many Afghans (especially women) in the aftermath. And one can't help but wonder whether this could've been handled much better. But after all that time and investment in training Afghan soldiers to fight for themselves, only to have reports of them just throwing down their weapons?? (and I remember reports of the Iraqis doing likewise.) After 20 YEARS of support??

I don't know. Have to wonder whether it was worth it.

This morning I saw part of an interview with a long-time advocate for women's rights in Afghanistan (didn't catch her name). She expressed her anger at our withdrawal, and pointed out that we still have a military presence in countries like Germany and Japan, more than seventy years after our last conflict with them. She argued we should have maintained a similar presence in Afghanistan, ensuring stability while a more educated younger generation gradually came more and more to the political forefront.

Definitely a long-term strategy, and perhaps more of an investment in blood and capital than most in the U.S. are willing to make anymore. But she did present a compelling argument. Like I said before, I'm just glad I'm not called upon to make these decisions.