What is the ratio of male-to-female vs female-to-male?

Oxnard

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Honestly, I've not known very many transgendered people. A few acquaintances who were in the same circle of friends, but no one really close. The closest friendship was with a guildmate in an MMORPG, but to be honest we mostly talked about how to kill the next monster, but hardly ever discussed the whole transgendered thing.

Of the few transgendered people I actually knew, all of them were male-to-female and none of them were female-to-male. Why is that? Is this just a statistical anomaly in my personal experiences? Are there fewer female-to-male transgendered people out there? Is female-to-male a more recent phenomoenon somehow? Or do female-to-male transgendered people simply draw less attention to themselves?

Oxnard

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks for clearing that up.

More gays than lesbians, more MTF than FTM, I wonder what accounts for these demographic asymmetries?

Oxnard

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Oh, I'm sure, but in both cases I would expect gender parity. That's the only way in which the two comparisons are similar. I wasn't trying to imply any other similarity. I may not know much about trans issues, but I do know that sexual identity and gender identity are completely separate things.

Reactions: charli3

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
FtM is likely more common because the surgery has caught up.
It's much more difficult to construct a working, natural, penis than vagina.

I think transpeople are more open now than in decades past, as well. More social justice around trans issues.

As for sexual orientation, my trans daughter still likes women. Liked them when presenting male, likes women now.

Eventually I'll be able to say, I'm not losing a son, I'm gaining two daughters. Ha.

Reactions: Oxnard

Oxnard

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
FtM is likely more common because the surgery has caught up.
It's much more difficult to construct a working, natural, penis than vagina.

I think transpeople are more open now than in decades past, as well. More social justice around trans issues.

As for sexual orientation, my trans daughter still likes women. Liked them when presenting male, likes women now.

Eventually I'll be able to say, I'm not losing a son, I'm gaining two daughters. Ha.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't most trans people leave their genitals intact?

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Very personal.
I have heard people talk about not doing genital surgery for many reasons, from expense to just not wanting surgery. (That person likened it to wearing a push up bra and never considering enhancement surgery).
Top surgery for FtM is common, if above A cup.

My daughter hasn't made any decisions about surgery. Open to it, but doesn't seem all that connected to the idea, yet. I've researched prices around the world.

TexanStar

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
Thanks for clearing that up.

More gays than lesbians, more MTF than FTM, I wonder what accounts for these demographic asymmetries?

Biologically, all humans (men and women both) start their embryonic development as female and if there's a Y chromosome then at some point things are triggered to develop as outwardly male.

To the extent that gender identity can be rooted in how the brain develops in the womb, it could be more common for one person's brain to retain a femine identity while outward physical characteristics are triggered to develop as male compared to cases where another person's brain develops a masculine identity without influence from a Y chromosome.

I'm just hypothesizing though. I don't actually know what the ratios or like or what would influence one to be more common than the other.