Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I will be 48 this year. I've let my body go a little or a lot. I have recently started the job keeps me moving and my stomach is getting definition back. Now instead of a little keg I've got a four pack hoping to get a sixpack again by the time I turn 48th and August. What are the best exercises for the love handles and the flat of the stomach?

I will be 48 this year. I've let my body go a little or a lot. I have recently started the job keeps me moving and my stomach is getting definition back. Now instead of a little keg I've got a four pack hoping to get a sixpack again by the time I turn 48th and August. What are the best exercises for the love handles and the flat of the stomach?
You need to lose fat by eating less calories than you burn. Trying to exercise a certain area to burn fat there won't work.

Reactions: Snarky_succubus
I disagree a little. Abs are an exception. You can't exercise away a massive beer gut but you can significantly flatten and define abdominals by doing simple sit ups. You see results in less than two weeks. Do as many as you can twice a day. You should also plank and do other core exercises to avoid back issues. And you should stop sit ups if you experience back pain. Sit ups won't eliminate abdominal fat but they will flatten what you have significantly.

Reactions: Exbiker
I disagree a little. Abs are an exception. You can't exercise away a massive beer gut but you can significantly flatten and define abdominals by doing simple sit ups. You see results in less than two weeks. Do as many as you can twice a day. You should also plank and do other core exercises to avoid back issues. And you should stop sit ups if you experience back pain. Sit ups won't eliminate abdominal fat but they will flatten what you have significantly.
No they do not

Not everything about a big stomach is fat. Part of your shape has to do with muscular support and carriage. Suck in your gut! You did not lose any fat in the last five seconds but you just flattened your stomach (briefly) by tightening muscles.

Studies have shown sit ups don't reduce the amount of abdominal fat. That does not mean they don't improve abdominal shape.

I'm just starting to get a six pack at age 50.

Planks are a good exercise, as are "butterflies" and leg raises ( careful though ). Push-ups, ideally with a weight on your back. With core engaged.

Sit ups/ crunches. GHD machine.

And just how you hold yourself for eg bicep curls, overhead tricep curls, squats, dips, pec flys...

And a little cardio.

Check out various videos on YouTube etc. You might need to reject some of the advice but there's some good stuff out there. Try some stuff out and see what works for you.