Admired Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hoping for some serious sandal advice from the community. I've been on the hunt for a while now for a comfortable athletic sandal that I could do easy/moderate hikes in and also camp in. Problem is I feel cursed with both short toes and bunions (thanks mom). First tried the Keen Newport H2. Felt nice and secure, but the placement of my bunions fell right into one of the little gaps in the straps, and no matter how tight or lose I made them it just rubbed the skin raw. Next tried Teva Hurricanes which this time had the toe strap falling square on top of the bunions. That actually worked a little better, but after a 3 mile hike it caused a small blister. Tried moleskin, but it literally was just a bandage and these are not long term practical. I'm interested in the Chacos (prob w/o toe strap) because the straps look more bungee/conforming but am weary to spend another $100 on something that is going to goodwill after just a couple uses. I'd love everyones feedback and experiences, I can't be the only 30something with foot problems!

link to a pic of my feet that show my toes and bunion: https://www.lpsg.com/gallery/photos/5264451/

Last edited:

OKCLane

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
My first suggestion is to see a podiatrist. There are options. Your bunions will get worse as you age. Period. The longer you wait to address them the more difficult the repair and the longer the recovery.
I wear Rockport shoes, sandals, dress shoes, sneakers, etc. It’s the only brand of shoes I’ve worn since about 1990.