Black face

Offensive to me no

I could care less, but you're always going to have someone get butt-hurt over the least little nothing.

Well you guys obviously aren't PoC then :rolleyes:

Edit: Ok ronin001 I checked your pics and you're obviously black but I don't why you wouldn't find black face offensive given it's history.

Last edited:
Maybe that was a bad example. I do think that they/he might have gone a bit too far, but still, was it offensive? If so, how did it offend you personally?

Personally I thought it was hilarious though it could've easily pissed me off if it was done slightly differently. Robert Downey's character was showing how ethnic roles are and have historically gone to white actors, effectively making a joke of the joke that is and has been Hollywood's way of casting roles over the years. Dan Aykroyd did it briefly in Trading Places which most folk don't even remember. Once again it was to make fun of the establishment, not to insult Black people.
However outside of those examples there really isn't anytime where it's OK to do and should one decide to do it then don't be surprised and the reaction that you get. This is not about Black people being over reactive, Black face has and always will be racist. It doesn't matter how many Black people you know or are friends with either... When there's doubt, there is no doubt. Just don't do it.

Last edited:
Personally I thought it was hilarious though it could've easily pissed me off if it was done slightly differently. Robert Downey's character was showing how ethnic roles are and have historically gone to white actors, effectively making a joke of the joke that is and has been Hollywood's way of casting roles over the years. Dan Aykroyd did it briefly in Trading Places which most folk don't even remember. Once again it was to make fun of the establishment, not to insult Black people.
However outside of those examples there really isn't anytime where it's OK to do and should one decide to do it then don't be surprised and the reaction that you get. This is not about Black people being over reactive, Black face has and always will be racist. It doesn't matter how many Black people you know or are friends with either... Just don't do it.

So is blackface a specific look, or is it simply the act of painting ones face black? More specifically, is what RDJ did the same as what Al Jolson did?

Recently Julianne Hough dressed in "blackface" for Halloween (like RDJ, not Jolson)

To me, the two things are different, but I'm just trying to understand those that are offended by RDJ, or Hough. She's blond. There obviously wouldn't have been a problem had she died her hair dark for Halloween to dress as someone else. She would have been ok had dressed as a man as well. I understand and agree with the argument that it doesn't matter whether or not she intended to offend anyone, what matters is if what she did was offensive. I just don't understand why what she did was deemed offensive.

Well you guys obviously aren't PoC then :rolleyes:

Edit: Ok ronin001 I checked your pics and you're obviously black but I don't why you wouldn't find black face offensive given it's history.

Nope, not in the least.

Call it like I see it.

Well blackface all looks the same for the most part so there's more to it than that. Simply put if you see anyone doing blackface and it was before Reagan got into office, it's racist. Remember the whole blackface thing was invented by people who didn't have a Black face, in part to degrade those that really do have a Black face. Now some younger folk are plum dumb when it comes to history and the historical context of many things. No one has a problem with anyone of any race dressing up as an ancient Egyptian because it was never a stereotype or used to degrade them.
Now speaking for me and me only... There really is not any sensible reason for anyone to do blackface unless you are trying to piss people off. It's been a staple for racist people for decades. the people who dressed in blackface benefited, supported and made much money of the same institution that raped, beat, bombed, burned, lynched, dis-enfranchised, castrated etc and entire race of people... And I'm only talking about the 1900's. Not but 3 generations ago. So it's like dressing up as Hitler and wondering why people, especially Jewish people want to beat your ass. There's nothing positive at all about anything surrounding blackface. RDJ did it in a why that wasn't saying "Hey laugh at me I'm Black!" nor was he making fun of Black people. He was making fun of things that many Black people already knew and despised. You'll have to ask someone that was offended by Tropic Thunder since neither I nor my family, nor my friends were bothered by it. Hough came off and as an ignorant idiot who didn't know what the fuck she was doing. And if she did... Then that's worse because she should've known better. In the end... Just don't do it.