Fellow Hikers Or Backpackers?

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Sort of a roll call, but also where do you go, what’s on the plans?

Backpackers, who is a gram nerd? What’s your cooking set up? Is it a talenti jar? Or a stove as well?

who wants to get out there this year?

I’m looking at a couple solo options, and one I’d like to drag my sweetie along come fall...if he makes the cut.
Possibly El Malpaís, possibly a section of Colorado or CD trail. This fall, I want to hit Utah. Canyonlands, Arches, possibly further west.
A talenti jar is in my kit. I’m looking at a fancee feest alcohol stove. I am a gram nerd, to about an 80 percent degree. I will bring a hairbrush!

Sailingbear

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Treyburn, North Carolina, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
I backpack, but make them day trips, and avoid the camping gear. Make what K skll need and take it with me. Living in NC I havd thousands of trails. From the Appalachian trail to the Moutain to the sea trail. Many branches and connectors to other trails.

twoton

Superior Member
Media
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
A long time ago I did lots of camping but never tried backpacking to an authentic degree. Maybe it should go on the To-Do list.

justjoe2

Sexy Member
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hoping to get out there this year again but probably only a 2 night trip due to work schedule. For me, thing I like about the short trips is that food need is a minimum. Solo I never cook. Jar of PB, half loaf of bread, some astronaut coffee (aka instant), a fillet knife, small skillet, collapsible rod and reel just in case bears get my PB stash. Take some matches for a fire, yes there is a lighter on reserve in my pack or kayak should the matches fail, for kicking back by in the evenings. Spark up a small fire on the coals in the AM for coffee and launch into the day.

I'd have to research a week or more trip for food as not sure what I'd need. When I go on these trips it is more to hit the "reset button" on life so extremely basic always help do that for me. (Plus I never allow myself peanut butter or bread so these simple meals are a huge treat!!)

MASSIVEPKGO_CHUCK

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I used to hike up the face of the Delaware water gap with my ex during springtime and finally got what John Denver got when he referenced the sheer exhilaration of looking down at the water gap. Got so exhilarating one time me and my ex left some interesting echoes. coupla hikers thought it was wild animals. Well, we WERE, but not bears or deer.

Two things put the kibosh on it nowadays; one my bad knee , and the fact that my ex moved down south to Florida with her new hubby.

Reactions: Lookinginconshy

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Hoping to get out there this year again but probably only a 2 night trip due to work schedule. For me, thing I like about the short trips is that food need is a minimum. Solo I never cook. Jar of PB, half loaf of bread, some astronaut coffee (aka instant), a fillet knife, small skillet, collapsible rod and reel just in case bears get my PB stash. Take some matches for a fire, yes there is a lighter on reserve in my pack or kayak should the matches fail, for kicking back by in the evenings. Spark up a small fire on the coals in the AM for coffee and launch into the day.

I'd have to research a week or more trip for food as not sure what I'd need. When I go on these trips it is more to hit the "reset button" on life so extremely basic always help do that for me. (Plus I never allow myself peanut butter or bread so these simple meals are a huge treat!!)
Look up bear bag. I have one in Dyneema

Thor85

Admired Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Gay, 10% Straight
I back country hike/camp as well as hike/camp out of my truck- im not anal about weight unless its deep into the back country and/or its a many day trip. Used to live in Colorado (5 years) but now living in NOLA and working and in grad school full time so my free time has gone to zero...I also bring my two dogs so make them carry some of their own gear in/out on our trips.

WilliamG

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Cammer
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Straight, 31% Gay
I one of the "I used to backpack a lot" guys... When I stopped backpacking, external frames were still a thing. I was never a weight weenie. Heck, I used a propane camp stove. My brother and I hiked a lot of the Eastern Sierra Nevada back country. How cool you are pulling your guy into this. My brother and I would do shorter miles per day with lots of free time to explore lakes and peaks above timberline. Coincidentally, my brother and I who were both single at the time we met two lovely Oregon sisters on the trail. The four of us would meet a few times at spring and summer to backpack week long trips over several years. Good times!

Reactions: Bigred12 and Thor85