Great Article On Man-to-man Relationships

D

deleted3782

I used to be like those guys, when I was much younger. I have a few pictures of myself with guy friends who I was in no way romantic, but was definitely spiritually intimate. Those connections got rarer as I got older. The old friends drifted away and got married, new friends were more guarded. I grew more guarded. Now it feels intimate to receive a text message. ;)

S_Dick

Mythical Member
Media
Sexuality
90% Straight, 10% Gay
I used to be like those guys, when I was much younger. I have a few pictures of myself with guy friends who I was in no way romantic, but was definitely spiritually intimate. Those connections got rarer as I got older. The old friends drifted away and got married, new friends were more guarded. I grew more guarded. Now it feels intimate to receive a text message. ;)
Totally. "Now it feels intimate to receive a text message" is right on the nose. I've been trying to cultivate better male relationships lately

Triasco

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
I don't think I has much to do with professional lives so much as it has that make affection has become conflated with homoeroticism and sexuality. I often find it feels like I have to walk on eggshells with my male friends, whether they are attracted to men or not. It feels like I have to do a lot of work and restrain my physically intimate tendencies so that no one gets the wrong idea.

wsnki07

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Don't know if it's just an American thing, but we as a society have become conditioned to mainly express intimacy through romantic and/or sexual lens. I think the best way to address that is to really start elevating platonic intimacy. Anything less than that will rob us of enjoying these type of connections

51arledge

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
[QUOTE="wsnki07, post: 61441231, to really start elevating platonic intimacy.....[/QUOTE]

This is SO on target! I just posted yesterday in a different thread that people should read Plato's "Symposium", the setting of which is a dinner and drinking party of men discussing the various aspects of love.

I'm also reminded that US President Theodore Roosevelt was a huge fan of wrestling with some of his Cabinet Secretaries (all men) and then going skinny-dipping in Rock Creek Park in Washington DC.

Also, Abraham Lincoln regularly shared a bed with a male friend.

kewlkid75

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
This is great article. Enjoyed it so much. Yes, it is true and sad that the art of intimacy amongst men has dwindled considerably in the last few decades. Well at least from my own perspective. I do love the ending where it talks about millennials, especially the younger men who aren't afraid to push the norms. Saw it yesterday and many times and I wondered what would it feel like to be that free to express so much confidence. Thanks for a wonderful article.

Reactions: cadmanken