Has Any Men Received The Hpv Vaccine?

D

deleted1025121

Hey guys,

Just curious if any of you guys got the HPV vaccine and what age.
I know its recommended up to age 26 for men. And they recently expanded it to age 45 for those at risk groups like homosexual or bisexual men (or anyone men that has sex with men).

But I'm curious if anyone over age 45 has received it and if you had any reaction. I believe you can still get it if your doctor writes a script...but your insurance wont pay for it. You'll have to pay out of pocket for the 3 injection doses...which I think run about $210 a dose = $630.

Any advice?

D

deleted1025121

I don't judge what other people do but I can't think of any reason why I would want to put something like that in my body. It's being "recommended" Is a pretty weak argument.
Cause it prevents 9 different types of HPV viruses that cause cancer including throat and anal cancers. Seems like a good recommendation to me.

D

deleted1025121

I got all the shots at 26. Felt a bit flushed for the afternoon after the 1st shot but fine afterwards. Though I did get them covered by insurance. I got them bc apparently HPV can cause dick cancer so there's that lol
Yea...I think its worthwhile and seems these vaccines are aimed at younger. Not sure why they dont open it for everyone.

TouchMeHere

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
apparently HPV can cause dick cancer so there's that lol

I have a lot of things to worry about in life, dick cancer - it's so unlikely, so rare, never ever heard of one man getting it - has never been one of them. It's not good to be so gullible as to believe every wacky thing the big Pharma companies come up with to make money. Better to live a healthy lifestyle, not put unknown substances in your body, with a healthy dose of skepticism.

Reactions: malakos
D

deleted1025121

I have a lot of things to worry about in life, dick cancer - it's so unlikely, so rare, never ever heard of one man getting it - has never been one of them. It's not good to be so gullible as to believe every wacky thing the big Pharma companies come up with to make money. Better to live a healthy lifestyle, not put unknown substances in your body, with a healthy dose of skepticism.
I've never heard of Dick cancer either. It prevents oral, throat and anal cancers in men. And cervical cancers in women. Ask Farrah Fawcett or Marcia Cross or Michael Douglas how they feel about HPV cancers.

AceWilde

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
I actually was in a medical study for HPV vaccine for men back in my poor grad student days. LOL So I got in on the ground floor and got it for free, but man some of the tests they had to do sucked. But other than that I never had any sort of reaction to it, and it's worth it knowing I'm not likely to spread HPV to any of my partners now.

I was told by the person running the study that the reason they don't push it on people older than 26 is because HPV is so rampant in the human population that by that age they basically assume you just have it. I don't remember all the details (this was a while ago, obviously) but that might come up if someone middle aged asked for the vaccine.

D

deleted1025121

I actually was in a medical study for HPV vaccine for men back in my poor grad student days. LOL So I got in on the ground floor and got it for free, but man some of the tests they had to do sucked. But other than that I never had any sort of reaction to it, and it's worth it knowing I'm not likely to spread HPV to any of my partners now.

I was told by the person running the study that the reason they don't push it on people older than 26 is because HPV is so rampant in the human population that by that age they basically assume you just have it. I don't remember all the details (this was a while ago, obviously) but that might come up if someone middle aged asked for the vaccine.
I've heard that excuse too. They assume you have some sort of HPV. But I highly doubt every single person has all 9 strains that Gardasil 9 protects against. I still think its advantageous. And they've upped the age to 45 for those at risk like gay men. But I'm still a hair above that. So I'm debating. Right now my focus was shingles (since I turned 50 and I got both doses of that) and now get my Covid out of the way. Think I'll wait a year before I decide on HPV. But I imagine there is gonna be a lot of sex going on once covid is under control. haha

ScotCock

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hello, in Scotland we give it to gay men because the girls are giving it in their teens at secondary school so it covers the straight population who have sex with women so that those lot are all covered. I know I started getting my course when I was 22 I think at my local sexual health clinic as part of routine checks when you tick the gay box. All medications, surgery and prescriptions are free in Scotland so I’ve never had to pay for a thing health wise. The point of it being giving young is because if you have one sexual partner who has had two sexual partners you will have likely been already exposed to a wide range of the types of HPV that are really very common. By the age of 45 it would be almost impossible to not have had exposure to HPV so vaccination is rendered not a worthwhile cost benefit as it’s almost certain there’s been exposure. It’s good how we do it here because in years time we will see the benefit of less prevalent throat/anal/cervical cancers as a population.

Reactions: deleted1025121

ScotCock

Cherished Member
Media
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
I should also add I’ve been given two combined hepatitis A & B vaccines that will last for about 50 years - a lifetime and is likely a better vaccine to get for your health now than Gardasil. Prep and PeP is also available to gay men at no cost from the local clinic too.

D

deleted1025121

I should also add I’ve been given two combined hepatitis A & B vaccines that will last for about 50 years - a lifetime and is likely a better vaccine to get for your health now than Gardasil. Prep and PeP is also available to gay men at no cost from the local clinic too.

Yes...Had my Hep A & B long ago. But they dont last 50 years. You'll need to do them again in about 20. Dont forget Menningitis in that too. Prep is good if you can afford it. Some plans, which I'm on doesn't cover it, and still way to expensive. But I see that price coming down. But regarding your HPV. Makes perfect sense. But you're assuming everyone is super sexually active. And it also depends on the kinds of sex you've had. Say you've only had oral and not penetrative sex, etc. Everyone is different. I just thing age limits are irrelevant. Even if one strain can be prevented.

Beanie

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Hey guys,

Just curious if any of you guys got the HPV vaccine and what age.
I know its recommended up to age 26 for men. And they recently expanded it to age 45 for those at risk groups like homosexual or bisexual men (or anyone men that has sex with men).

But I'm curious if anyone over age 45 has received it and if you had any reaction. I believe you can still get it if your doctor writes a script...but your insurance wont pay for it. You'll have to pay out of pocket for the 3 injection doses...which I think run about $210 a dose = $630.

Any advice?
In the U.K. they are vaccinating boys in school against HPV.

D

deleted1025121

In the U.K. they are vaccinating boys in school against HPV.
Yes. They vaccinate men (boys) here too up until age 26. My question was has any adult men had it over age 26 or the expanded 45 age.

AceWilde

Legendary Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
69% Gay, 31% Straight
Im in my mid 20s and was wondering about this too, is it vain if i want to get the vaccine mainly to not get warts?
I don't think so. Especially since you'd also be doing your future sexual partners a favor in protecting them as well. But warts suck no matter why or how you got them so by all means get it to avoid that.

Bgbrother

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Gay, 1% Straight
Some HPVs lead to anal, mouth and penis cancers, so there are a lot of reasons why you should get the HPV vaccine. I had it late in life but my sexual history with different partners was very low, so felt like it wasn’t a waste of time, as I would have been unlikely to have been exposed to them already. The vaccine protects but does not cure if already in your system

D

deleted1025121

Some HPVs lead to anal, mouth and penis cancers, so there are a lot of reasons why you should get the HPV vaccine. I had it late in life but my sexual history with different partners was very low, so felt like it wasn’t a waste of time, as I would have been unlikely to have been exposed to them already. The vaccine protects but does not cure if already in your system

What was "late in life" for you? Yes, I agree. I haven't had many people I've had penetrative intercourse with. Mostly just oral stuff. So I'm pretty sure I dont have all 9 variations of HPV that the vaccine (Gardasil 9) protects against. Just at my age...I'll have to pay out of pocket. So I'm still debating. Wish there were a test to show you how many variations of HPV one has been exposed to. That would certainly help!