Jacob elordi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Saltburn has been roundly panned here in the UK. I'm sure that won't spoil the enjoyment of US fans, though. It was really made for you. Apparently a character orders eggs 'over easy', a phrase few Brits are familiar with and no one would ever use over here. That tells you everything.

From our best broadsheet newspaper The Guardian:

"Fennell’s gay men are merely kitsch, presented with what, to me, feels like a whiff of opportunism.

Others sensed this too. “Here is a movie,” wrote the New York Times critic in by far the most vicious of the American reviews, “where gay things occur, but homosexuality abuts, alas, corruption and conniving”. He went on, “I suppose Fennell has made a movie about toxic elitism, but she’s done it in the way Ikea gives you assembly instructions.” "

Saltburn has been roundly panned here in the UK. I'm sure that won't spoil the enjoyment of US fans, though. It was really made for you. Apparently a character orders eggs 'over easy', a phrase few Brits are familiar with and no one would ever use over here. That tells you everything.

"Fennell’s gay men are merely kitsch, presented with what, to me, feels like a whiff of opportunism.

Others sensed this too. “Here is a movie,” wrote the New York Times critic in by far the most vicious of the American reviews, “where gay things occur, but homosexuality abuts, alas, corruption and conniving”. He went on, “I suppose Fennell has made a movie about toxic elitism, but she’s done it in the way Ikea gives you assembly instructions.” "
There's just something so entertaining about legacy film reviewers sheer snobbery and speech dripping with condescension when they are panning a film that regardless if I agree or not, it always gets a good laugh out of me

That NY Times review they quoted was by Wesley Morris, one of my favorite American critics. I recommend reading his entire review as it's hilarious and spot on about the film's shortcomings.

Reactions: Mickey Finn
Status
Not open for further replies.