Jockstraps a thing of past in sports?

1andonly

Expert Member
Media
Jocks are out of fashion right now but I'm not sure why. Nothing does the job as well as an athletic supporter. I sometimes wear compression shorts but there is a jock underneath. Good luck finding a jockstrap in a store. Straps used to be common even in stores like Target. K-mart even had their own brand of jocks. Online is your best bet today. I like Golberg or McDavid athletic supporters both easy to find on the net.
Thank you!!

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Philadelphia (Pennsylvania, United States)
Sexuality
No Response
Hey guys are jockstraps a thing of the past that boys and guys used to protect themselves in sports and working out?

Today I went to the Target store looking for one. I figured I check sporting goods there was none. So I decided to check men's underwear section nothing there either.

So I thought I was doing the right thing I stopped a male worker and asked.i could not have been more wrong he looked at me a little funny then says wait here while I discreetly ask another associate. Made me feel as if I was doing something possible wrong. Then comes back says there on our website.

It left me shaking my head thinking to myself did I miss something! Did I do something wrong? What up with discreetly Do guys still use them for sports to protect the junk. Let me know.

Just honest thought!!
As others have noted, jockstraps have not been widespread (Ha!) for decades. They started to wane in the later 80's, I think. Others have noted here that compression shorts took their place, even tho such shorts SUCK at ball support. I think the open ass of the jockstraps always been a target for gay-comments. Does anyone know why the ass is open? Some guys say it's too avoid extra sweaty "swamp ass." Myself, I just wonder if it isn't economics: less material in the manufacturing.
Certainly they been associated with gay men since their creation. you can find pics from the 1950's and before that are homoerotic, and ever more explicitly the later you go. that said, ALL the guys I went to HS with in the 70's wore jocks. We all did. It wasn't even questioned.

Like you, I went to a sports story perhaps 10 years ago and asked a young man at the counter, "Do you guys sell jockstraps?" I did the because it as a cheap thrill, I admit. The older man, possibly 40, who was this kid's boss heard this and immediately stepped in to divert me. It was clear the kid have no idea what a jockstrap was.

And yeah, I used to see 'em in stores, including men's clothing stores and plain ol' drugstores (usually sole Ace jockstraps, which sucked, but sometimes Bauer and Black, which didn't), and in 2014 I stumbled on a small independent sports store that still had a display rack of Bikes. I wanted to buy the entire display, but even I couldn't do that, so I bought 5 of them, I think. This nice girl of a certain age wrote down my order in neat handwriting on their old-fashioned carbon copy pad. I recall seeing the word "jockstrap" in her handwriting. I found myself wondering what she was thinking.

I've found two vintage REAL Bike jockstraps on eBay. I've had them for like 2 years. On one of them, the pouch threads are starting to come out and make little "loops." The other one is holding up ok.
Do not buy jocks from Bikeathletic.com. The "classic" one isn't really like the vintage ones. Also, I order sports briefs from them, but the pouch is way too small.

Reactions: 1andonly

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
As others have noted, jockstraps have not been widespread (Ha!) for decades. They started to wane in the later 80's, I think. Others have noted here that compression shorts took their place, even tho such shorts SUCK at ball support. I think the open ass of the jockstraps always been a target for gay-comments. Does anyone know why the ass is open? Some guys say it's too avoid extra sweaty "swamp ass." Myself, I just wonder if it isn't economics: less material in the manufacturing.
Certainly they been associated with gay men since their creation. you can find pics from the 1950's and before that are homoerotic, and ever more explicitly the later you go. that said, ALL the guys I went to HS with in the 70's wore jocks. We all did. It wasn't even questioned.

Like you, I went to a sports story perhaps 10 years ago and asked a young man at the counter, "Do you guys sell jockstraps?" I did the because it as a cheap thrill, I admit. The older man, possibly 40, who was this kid's boss heard this and immediately stepped in to divert me. It was clear the kid have no idea what a jockstrap was.

And yeah, I used to see 'em in stores, including men's clothing stores and plain ol' drugstores (usually sole Ace jockstraps, which sucked, but sometimes Bauer and Black, which didn't), and in 2014 I stumbled on a small independent sports store that still had a display rack of Bikes. I wanted to buy the entire display, but even I couldn't do that, so I bought 5 of them, I think. This nice girl of a certain age wrote down my order in neat handwriting on their old-fashioned carbon copy pad. I recall seeing the word "jockstrap" in her handwriting. I found myself wondering what she was thinking.

I've found two vintage REAL Bike jockstraps on eBay. I've had them for like 2 years. On one of them, the pouch threads are starting to come out and make little "loops." The other one is holding up ok.
Do not buy jocks from Bikeathletic.com. The "classic" one isn't really like the vintage ones. Also, I order sports briefs from them, but the pouch is way too small.
I know nobody cares but me, but I'm amazed at the number of typos I make when I post, and I don't always reread. It bugs me. So to make myself feel better, I'm going to go jack off....

big russ

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
They are best for swimming, they just make you feel stronger, they do make a difference to how you feel. There's nothing gay about them, compression shorts look old fashion, silly and must be uncomfortable, I don't know as I've never worn them.

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Y
They are best for swimming, they just make you feel stronger, they do make a difference to how you feel. There's nothing gay about them, compression shorts look old fashion, silly and must be uncomfortable, I don't know as I've never worn them.
You're right about compression shorts. I too like the feeling of a jockstrap under swim trunks, but most guys, it seems, just go commando under trunks. They used to make 1" waistband jockstraps especially for swimmers. I think the point was to avoid showing a jockstrap waistband like the 3" models did. I suppose the view point was that showing waistbands of underwear was embarrassing.
I didn't think jockstraps were widespread... er, so to speak... in Australia.
Don't most guys wear sports briefs for that stuff?

big russ

Experimental Member
Media
Sexuality
80% Straight, 20% Gay
Y

You're right about compression shorts. I too like the feeling of a jockstrap under swim trunks, but most guys, it seems, just go commando under trunks. They used to make 1" waistband jockstraps especially for swimmers. I think the point was to avoid showing a jockstrap waistband like the 3" models did. I suppose the view point was that showing waistbands of underwear was embarrassing.
I didn't think jockstraps were widespread... er, so to speak... in Australia.
Don't most guys wear sports briefs for that stuff?
They seem to have been worn up until the 1980's, old AFL photos show players wearing straps, nothing embarrassing about them. I swim with GYM swimmer straps.

opinionman

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
They seem to have been worn up until the 1980's, old AFL photos show players wearing straps, nothing embarrassing about them. I swim with GYM swimmer straps.
That seems like the American timeline as well: jocks started to disappear in the late 80's

lapdog2001

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
100% Straight, 0% Gay
I haven't worn a jockstrap in many decades, and also haven't seen anyone wearing one in many decades.
There are so many much more comfortable alternatives (boxer briefs or compression shorts) so I wouldn't even consider ever wearing a jockstrap ever again, unless my wife requested it as part of foreplay and sex play.