Photo of the day !!

ADKq_NbpHSQ-phPyxf-jZFfvTC0LNGpJRGlVlopPDAZvM8DjB9I0hCx1JLFBmR0CLzQhP0legWvZIuHRohk4K8ibBBB_zRyU9BEQZWYl3DCwHFxZPUupUX-ZaE9QZg=s0-d-e1-ft

Dear Friends,

The Latest From Undark​

Book Review: A Neurosurgeon’s Inside Look at the Brain

By Erica Goode
Theodore H. Schwartz’s “Gray Matters” explores the evolution of brain surgery, and offers a firsthand account of its many risks and rewards. Along the way, he covers virtually everything that can harm the human brain, from tumors and gunshot wounds to sports injuries, shaken baby syndrome, and car accidents. Read on »

The Deeper Issue With Expanding Assisted Dying to Mental Illness

By Elyse Weingarten
In 2027, a Canadian law allowing terminally ill people to receive assistance in dying is slated to expand to cover those with mental illness. The debate over the law’s expansion demonstrates the need to radically rethink the prevailing model that treats mental and physical illnesses as the same. Read on »

Can Plastic Waste Be Transformed Into Food for Humans?

By Sara Talpos
Scientists have been experimenting for years with various species of plastic-eating bacteria. But DARPA is taking a slightly different approach in seeking a compact and mobile solution for field use that uses plastic to create something else entirely: food for humans. Read on »

Amid Changing Climate, Colorado Plans to Restore the Wolverine

By Christine Peterson

Reactions: BigdongSE and BillM

Cassiopeia constellation is surrounded by celestial treasures
Cassiopeia constellation is surrounded by celestial treasures
(Alan Dyer/VW Pics/Universal Images Group via Getty Images)
If you were among the countless numbers of people who spent time last week looking for Perseid meteors, you doubt took notice of a striking stellar arrangement in the northeastern part of the sky: A zigzag row of five bright stars marking the Queen of Ethiopia, Cassiopeia.
Full Story: Space(8/22)

Spaceflight

How will the stuck Boeing Starliner astronauts perceive time?
How will the stuck Boeing Starliner astronauts perceive time?
(NASA)
The passage of time can slow to a crawl when you're waiting, and waiting, and waiting. How will the Boeing Starliner astronauts feel time move if they have to stay in space for another 6 months?
Full Story: Space(8/23)
Email
Science & Astronomy

Will our galaxy really collide with Andromeda? Maybe not
Will our galaxy really collide with Andromeda? Maybe not
(NASA; ESA; Z. Levay and R. van der Marel, STScI; T. Hallas; and A. Mellinger)
Astronomers have long considered it inevitable that our home galaxy, the Milky Way, will merge with the neighboring Andromeda galaxy within the next 5 billion years. However, a new simulation suggests the chance of this clash happening comes down to a coin flip — at least, within the next 10 billion years.
Full Story: Space(8/22)
Email
SpaceX

How to watch SpaceX's Polaris Dawn launch on Aug. 27
How to watch SpaceX's Polaris Dawn launch on Aug. 27
(Polaris Program)
SpaceX is targeting Tuesday (Aug. 27) for the launch of its Polaris Dawn mission, which will take a Crew Dragon spacecraft to its highest orbit and feature the first-ever private spacewalk. Here's how you can watch the historic action live. Spoiler alert: You'll need to be on X.
Full Story: Space(8/23)

allow me my indulgence
i oriomise nothing untowaed msaybe ha

Reactions: BillM
So.....Tuesday of this week (20th August 2024) saw a rare spectacle - the "Super Blue Moon" with Saturn lined up alongside.

This was the best I could do.
(Moon....tick. Rochester Castle....tick. Rochester Cathedral....tick. Saturn....tick.
Crappy phone pic, but I assure Saturn IS there.)

The fates combined on Tuesday night to ensure this area was as cloud-free as can be. :)
Hence my pic....

IMG_5707.JPEG