Photo of the day !!

Did the Titanic Sink Because of an Optical Illusion? | Science | Smithsonian Magazine

daca35l-1c5b3d6f-3b54-4a54-89a6-ba8c853e651d.jpg

I like the marine/inversion layer theory better. It hid the berg from the lookouts' view until it was too late.

Then there's the fact that Captain Smith steamed full speed into an ice field on a moonless night when all other ships in the area stopped. Ice warnings received by radio were ignored by Smith except to steer a more southerly course.

Did the Titanic Sink Because of an Optical Illusion? | Science | Smithsonian Magazine

View attachment 22522951

I like the marine/inversion layer theory better. It hid the berg from the lookouts' view until it was too late.

Then there's the fact that Captain Smith steamed full speed into an ice field on a moonless night when all other ships in the area stopped. Ice warnings received by radio were ignored by Smith except to steer a more southerly course.

Wow...and guess what...Why do ships still hit icebergs? Science has come such a long way in 100 years hasn't it? :)...........Yeah...send a ship to Mars...No Ice Bergs on the way.....:)

I tried over and over to see if there was an increase in Ice Berg activity since the Titanic sinking.......no luck. Can you from an independent source?

Just as well there are no Ice Bergs between Earth and Mars.

By the way...has science managed to find the huge jet which flew past the top of Australia and mysteriously vanished in the Indian Ocean yet...here on Earth? Past the largest CIA installation outside of the US.

309_ImageWall5_768px-60.jpg

Last edited:
Wow...and guess what...Why do ships still hit icebergs? Science has come such a long way in 100 years hasn't it? :)...........Yeah...send a ship to Mars...No Ice Bergs on the way.....:)

I tried over and over to see if there was an increase in Ice Berg activity since the Titanic sinking.......no luck. Can you from an independent source?

Just as well there are no Ice Bergs between Earth and Mars.

By the way...has science managed to find the huge jet which flew past the top of Australia and mysteriously vanished in the Indian Ocean yet...here on Earth? Past the largest CIA installation outside of the US.

309_ImageWall5_768px-60.jpg

fyi,a thought

smile
personally
never go into anything too'in-depth' re ice,or such
thats relating to anything/everything,we humanity get up to
scientifically investigate,or such
forever there will be multiple theories,with equally multiple reasons by people,for everything
cool,acceptable
notning has to be believable really

i hate/dont believe it when people go
chasing after the mythical,to me, sasquatch monster
but
in the same breath yeahyah yeti/bigfoot/yowi,how about loch ness FFS
,i am/have been dead keen interested in the possibility of extra-terstitial beings

ie
am happy to think/believe there are possibly far brighter living beings/much more intelligence existing,than us simpelton/bumbling humas huh
go figure,as they say ha

Last edited:

With warmer oceans at higher latitudes due to global warming I'd guess there's less ice than ever drifting down to mid-latitudes even though more bergs than ever are being released from polar ice sheets. You might search International Ice Patrol for year by year data.

You may remember this article about a "super moon" causing king tides which allowed an abnormally large about of ice & bergs to be released from Greenland which caused the Titanic ice field:

Did a 'Supermoon' Sink the Titanic? | Live Science

Malaysia 370? No, though pieces of the wing flaps washed up in E. Africa and Madagascar several years ago. Some airplanes and many ships lost on/over oceans are never found again. Look how long it took to find Titanic even though the lat/long of her sinking was known. Oceans are vast. Planes and ships are minuscule by comparison.

With warmer oceans at higher latitudes due to global warming I'd guess there's less ice than ever drifting down to mid-latitudes even though more bergs than ever are being released from polar ice sheets. You might search International Ice Patrol for year by year data.

You may remember this article about a "super moon" causing king tides which allowed an abnormally large about of ice & bergs to be released from Greenland which caused the Titanic ice field:

Did a 'Supermoon' Sink the Titanic? | Live Science

Malaysia 370? No, though pieces of the wing flaps washed up in E. Africa and Madagascar several years ago. Some airplanes and many ships lost on/over oceans are never found again. Look how long it took to find Titanic even though the lat/long of her sinking was known. Oceans are vast. Planes and ships are minuscule by comparison.

smile
love your info
happy to be lazy and not participate
smile 2