Someone To Talk To About Gaining Weight/muscles?

Clrwtrdlbud71-fl

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Clearwater, Florida, United States of America
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'd also be interested in learning any secrets if possible.
I am trying to get there myself so I don't have the personal experience to speak from, but my trainer (this dude Steve Dawson (@stevebythegulf) ) does have the experience, we went from thin to beefy, and he tells me this:
"honestly, it's just about consistency. Eating enough and lifting big. It's slow changes but accumulate over time."
I receive it as: 'eat big, lift big, [+ rest/recover big], + big consistency'

I propose that any 'secrets' (supplements, HIIT, fasting, cardio levels, supplements, food timing, etc ) is simply fine tuning and getting show ready, focus instead on the baseline ("honestly...+" above)

Hope that helps!

(p.s. under him I'm ~15lbs up, though I am not sure its all muscle lol)

Clrwtrdlbud71-fl

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I am trying to get there myself so I don't have the personal experience to speak from, but my trainer (this dude Steve Dawson (@stevebythegulf) ) does have the experience, we went from thin to beefy, and he tells me this:
"honestly, it's just about consistency. Eating enough and lifting big. It's slow changes but accumulate over time."
I receive it as: 'eat big, lift big, [+ rest/recover big], + big consistency'

I propose that any 'secrets' (supplements, HIIT, fasting, cardio levels, supplements, food timing, etc ) is simply fine tuning and getting show ready, focus instead on the baseline ("honestly...+" above)

Hope that helps!

(p.s. under him I'm ~15lbs up, though I am not sure its all muscle lol)
Here is an example of "eat big": Chris Hemsworth prepares to play Hulk Hogan with $72 worth of KFC

Those of us trying to gain most always underestimate the amount of food needed...

goodandbed

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Verification
View
Here is an example of "eat big": Chris Hemsworth prepares to play Hulk Hogan with $72 worth of KFC

Those of us trying to gain most always underestimate the amount of food needed...

I always kinda felt like I could just eat whatever and as much as I want - but I just now realized that it's not true.
I've been eating much less than the amount of food I needed to consume everyday and it was the combination of unhealthy and imbalanced diet and lack of physical activity that made me be in my current state (which is also called "skinny fat").

Maybe now, after knowing better I might actually get to see results after a while!

Clrwtrdlbud71-fl

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I always kinda felt like I could just eat whatever and as much as I want - but I just now realized that it's not true.
I've been eating much less than the amount of food I needed to consume everyday and it was the combination of unhealthy and imbalanced diet and lack of physical activity that made me be in my current state (which is also called "skinny fat").

Maybe now, after knowing better I might actually get to see results after a while!

Right on. You are touching on "dirty bulk" (eat anything you want as much as you want, or anything you want to a specific caloric goal) vs "clean bulk" (meet the caloric goal but with the right balance of prots, carbs, fats).

Some years ago I said "f*ck it I am tired of being skinny" and did a dirty bulk: I gained 40 lbs however I looked like a slightly toned Yabba the Hutt: in retrospect, definitely do not recommend it.

Along the lines of clean bulk, to keep the gain muscly it should be a progressive bulk not an out right eat-a-thon, where the caloric increase is a percentage of your current lean mass. You have to revise it often as your weight increases.

This means buds, yes eat big but track it and manage it.

goodandbed

Loved Member
Verified
Gold
Account Deletion Pending
Media
Verification
View
Right on. You are touching on "dirty bulk" (eat anything you want as much as you want, or anything you want to a specific caloric goal) vs "clean bulk" (meet the caloric goal but with the right balance of prots, carbs, fats).

Some years ago I said "f*ck it I am tired of being skinny" and did a dirty bulk: I gained 40 lbs however I looked like a slightly toned Yabba the Hutt: in retrospect, definitely do not recommend it.

Along the lines of clean bulk, to keep the gain muscly it should be a progressive bulk not an out right eat-a-thon, where the caloric increase is a percentage of your current lean mass. You have to revise it often as your weight increases.

This means buds, yes eat big but track it and manage it.

I'll probably go to a nutritionist or someone else who might help me put together a proper meal plan

Clrwtrdlbud71-fl

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
50% Straight, 50% Gay
I'll probably go to a nutritionist or someone else who might help me put together a proper meal plan
I almost suggested that earlier, it really is a god idea. Just be clear in your goal, muscle gain: seems like the industry is overly focused on weight loss instead

Reactions: Murphys

b3ar

Worshipped Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
99% Straight, 1% Gay
There's really no big secret to it, but it's all dependant on your body composition.
The big thing that worked for me was keeping my calories in a high range and not in a deficit. Carbs are always made out to be bad, but timed just right and in the right amount, they can be truly beneficial to adding size. When gaining weight, a lot of people tend to gravitate towards dirty bulking since it's right in calories but what they don't pay attention to is the sodium and bad fats that are coupled with it.
1. Eat a lot of calories and carbs
2. Train heavy and stay within 6-8 reps per workout with 2-3 minutes rest (keeps the cards level down and doesn't burn too many calories. You need the calories for your muscles to grow)
3. Spend 1 to 1.5 hours in the gym MAX
4. Supplements like creatine, essential amino acids, a weight gainer post workout protein shake and a preworkout
5. Eat a lot, rest a lot.
The secret is there is no secret.

Train hard. Eating can be the hardest part. Develop habits that foster your goal. If you're 20, train like you're 40, so you can still train when you're 50.
I'm on the other end of that comment. I'm 40 and train like I'm 20 and feel like I'm 18.
But you're right... train hard and eat right.

JJ_Jumbo

Worshipped Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
The secret is there is no secret.

Train hard. Eating can be the hardest part. Develop habits that foster your goal. If you're 20, train like you're 40, so you can still train when you're 50.
Absolutely spot on man

key is understanding how your body reacts to food as well as the weights

I been at it over 30 years and am 50

being consistent with what you do is the the right path … is a slow process at times but is rewarding when you final see the gainz

Reactions: ryans138