The effects of queerbaiting.

therebrand

Loved Member
Media
I'm just curious to know, one of 2 questions:
1. What are the psychological effects of queerbaiting on gay men's mental health?
and:
2. What's your experience with being queerbaited? How did it affect your mental health?

I'm just curious to know, one of 2 questions:
1. What are the psychological effects of queerbaiting on gay men's mental health?
and:
2. What's your experience with being queerbaited? How did it affect your mental health?
You need to define "queerbaiting" here tbh. It's a fairly controversial word that plenty don't even agree on

Reactions: therebrand
You need to define "queerbaiting" here tbh. It's a fairly controversial word that plenty don't even agree on
Specifically, queerbaiting (in this case) is *in real life* (not film and TV) straight men who pretend to be gay, for the purpose of manipulating LGBT men, when everyone (including their wife) knows they're straight and sometimes homophobic and straight. In this context, their intention is either to manipulate LGBT men into giving them money (a lot of straight men on OnlyFans do this - I know too many examples of it), or to manipulate LGBT into having sex with them or having affairs with them (it's happened to me quite a few times). I've been a victim of straight men who pretend to be gay, and even go as far as to ask me for nudes - and then they created false accusations about me, despite them directly asking me for nudes (and I consented to this as well - both of us did). So how can they complain when they got angry at me for choosing to ignore them afterward? It's a very - I'd presume - nuanced conversation......
My experience (that I just mentioned) inspired me to create this thread.

So I don't mean queerbaiting by the literal definition (which, I wasn't aware of until recently - apparently, it pertains to film and TV, which is completely unrelated & a separate issue than what I was talking about).

I guess, today's generation would call them "homophobic grifters".
That term is more along the lines of what I'm referring to - not queerbaiting in film and TV (because I'm referring to real life experiences).

Specifically, queerbaiting (in this case) is *in real life* (not film and TV) straight men who pretend to be gay, for the purpose of manipulating LGBT men, when everyone (including their wife) knows they're straight and sometimes homophobic and straight. In this context, their intention is either to manipulate LGBT men into giving them money (a lot of straight men on OnlyFans do this - I know too many examples of it), or to manipulate LGBT into having sex with them or having affairs with them (it's happened to me quite a few times). I've been a victim of straight men who pretend to be gay, and even go as far as to ask me for nudes - and then they created false accusations about me, despite them directly asking me for nudes (and I consented to this as well - both of us did). So how can they complain when they got angry at me for choosing to ignore them afterward? It's a very - I'd presume - nuanced conversation......
My experience (that I just mentioned) inspired me to create this thread.

So I don't mean queerbaiting by the literal definition (which, I wasn't aware of until recently - apparently, it pertains to film and TV, which is completely unrelated & a separate issue than what I was talking about).
are you saying that a straight men manipulated you into having sex with him? i'm curious, why a straight man would do this. what did he benefit from it? or am i miss understanding?

what false accusations? did he black male you after you sent the nudes?

i'm just trying to fully understand.

are you saying that a straight men manipulated you into having sex with him? i'm curious, why a straight man would do this. what did he benefit from it? or am i miss understanding?

what false accusations? did he black male you after you sent the nudes?

i'm just trying to fully understand.
I'll put it like this - it's happened quite a few times.
I'm only speaking about the most recent time.
And the false accusation was sexual harassment - and no, he hasn't blackmailed me so far (and if he has yet, I wouldn't know because I blocked him this morning).
And for context, all our interactions were online (not in person) - he lives in California & I live in New Jersey, 3,000 miles away.
It just happened a few days ago.
All this, after I wanted to be friends with this person, and made the mistake of admitting I had a crush on him - which then snowballed into all this.
He just seems like a manipulative person and I'm glad I cut off contact.

my opinion, whether you call it queerbaiting or con artistry or whatever, there are those within humanity that are going to find ways to manipulate and exploit others. to me it doesn't matter what door they use, it's all the same thing. it doesn't matter if it's religious heads saying "give me money and god will reward you with a better life," or t*rump manipulating ignorant people into thinking he gives a shit about them and is fighting for them, or someone taking advantage of an elderly person's kindness or miss cleo falsely leading millions of people into thinking she's a true psychic; it's all the same thing. they find an angle, a way to get in and then they use that for their personal gain.

and i know it's controversial nowadays to say "this is a human issue and not just an "X Group" issue, but that's simply how i see it. i've never personally been "queerbaited" by straight men, but i've been lied to, deceived by and mislead by other gay men. and i don't blame "gay men" for that or specifically hold that type of behavior against gay men.

but i understand that our human nature is, by default, to generalize and stereotype and condense those into a specific group of people. so if, from your perspective, straight guys are specifically targeting gay men because you feel they have the ability to easily do so, then so be it. but i don't see it like that. i see it as, they're people who are going to use whatever path is easiest for them to manipulate other people because they are assholes.

my opinion, whether you call it queerbaiting or con artistry or whatever, there are those within humanity that are going to find ways to manipulate and exploit others. to me it doesn't matter what door they use, it's all the same thing. it doesn't matter if it's religious heads saying "give me money and god will reward you with a better life," or t*rump manipulating ignorant people into thinking he gives a shit about them and is fighting for them, or someone taking advantage of an elderly person's kindness or miss cleo falsely leading millions of people into thinking she's a true psychic; it's all the same thing. they find an angle, a way to get in and then they use that for their personal gain.

and i know it's controversial nowadays to say "this is a human issue and not just an "X Group" issue, but that's simply how i see it. i've never personally been "queerbaited" by straight men, but i've been lied to, deceived by and mislead by other gay men. and i don't blame "gay men" for that or specifically hold that type of behavior against gay men.

but i understand that our human nature is, by default, to generalize and stereotype and condense those into a specific group of people. so if, from your perspective, straight guys are specifically targeting gay men because you feel they have the ability to easily do so, then so be it. but i don't see it like that. i see it as, they're people who are going to use whatever path is easiest for them to manipulate other people because they are assholes.
I see both sides.
I think both of us have great ways of looking at it.
Users are going to use - and users will always exist; they'll never go away, until the demise of this planet.

Reactions: Kanashi
yes. and in the words of alanis morissette, "you live, you learn." how we respond to things we've experienced will different amongst each of us. some will get bitten by a dog and will then, from that moment on, be absolutely terrified and weary of dogs. some will be hesitant and slighty cautious of dogs going forward, but still willing to be around them. some will continue to have no fear of dogs whatsoever and will continue to pet and love on them as if nothing happened. we're all different and there's no "right way" to respond to such things. all we can try to do is learn from the mistakes we've made in the past to try and build a path to a better future. but the exact layout of that path will vary for each person.

Reactions: therebrand
yes. and in the words of alanis morissette, "you live, you learn." how we respond to things we've experienced will different amongst each of us. some will get bitten by a dog and will then, from that moment on, be absolutely terrified and weary of dogs. some will be hesitant and slighty cautious of dogs going forward, but still willing to be around them. some will continue to have no fear of dogs whatsoever and will continue to pet and love on them as if nothing happened. we're all different and there's no "right way" to respond to such things. all we can try to do is learn from the mistakes we've made in the past to try and build a path to a better future. but the exact layout of that path will vary for each person.
Very true.
I'm also looking forward to everyone else's comments - I find this topic interesting, so I want to hear what others have to say.

Reactions: bigboaster
I have a pretty good idea of what queerbaiting might mean, but I'd love to know its true meaning. Years ago a female of mine friend dated a guy she was crazy about for a long time. She always talked about their incredible sexual relationship, but once for some unknown reason she referred to him as queerbait.

I'd love to hear a solid definition of this word.

I have a pretty good idea of what queerbaiting might mean, but I'd love to know its true meaning. Years ago a female of mine friend dated a guy she was crazy about for a long time. She always talked about their incredible sexual relationship, but once for some unknown reason she referred to him as queerbait.

I'd love to hear a solid definition of this word.
I'm talking about in real life - someone who manipulates you into thinking they're LGBT and that they're attracted to you.
Then you find out, they're straight and just trying to "cheer you up" or seduce you, or whatever wild excuse they use as gaslighting.
That same thing has happened to me dozens of times (I live in a small town, that's majority straight homophobes and it was also very racist, but it's a lot better now).

I often thought queerbating f was where a straight guy will talk a gay guy that he’d do gay things with you if give money or whatever ..

If that’s the case I do the gay stuff with him before giving my money..

Yes I’ve paid for sex.. if he meets certain things that I like

As for straight guys on onlyfans .. that’s not queerbaiting .. especially if he posts he is straight.. so you pay to see his straight cock n ass knowing he fucks women..

I often thought queerbating f was where a straight guy will talk a gay guy that he’d do gay things with you if give money or whatever ..

If that’s the case I do the gay stuff with him before giving my money..

Yes I’ve paid for sex.. if he meets certain things that I like

As for straight guys on onlyfans .. that’s not queerbaiting .. especially if he posts he is straight.. so you pay to see his straight cock n ass knowing he fucks women..
No, no, no.
You're confusing "gay for pay" with what queerbaiting actually is.
Queerbaiting is when a straight person (male or female) manipulates an LGBT person into believing they're straight.
When, in reality, the LGBT person doesn't know they're being manipulated & gaslit.
And when the straight person gets called out, it's the usual bullshit, "Well, I have a wife and kids" or "I didn't want you! I wanted your money!" and the usual gaslighting that men do.

it doesn't seem like many people have been falsely lead into a relationship/situationship by someone who are pretending to be straight. i understand that this has happened to you a few times, but maybe in actuality it's not as common as you think.

it doesn't seem like many people have been falsely lead into a relationship/situationship by someone who are pretending to be straight. i understand that this has happened to you a few times, but maybe in actuality it's not as common as you think.
I find that an interesting point.
What would you consider it?
I still consider it queerbaiting because they're still lying about being LGBT and then they get mad that it affects my mental health.
So I'm still friends with one of them - because he's a straight ally who happens to be gay-for-pay, and goes (financially) where the wind blows - (despite saying out his own mouth that he's open to experimenting with men).

Its not like straight women do the exacly same thing to straight men (false accusing, playing with emotions for check etc.) and vice versa : unamused:

Also how do you find out that "queerbaiting" man is actually straight is not f.e straight leaning bisexual or even worse..fully gay.

"Straight" guy trying to get money from gay guy is no different than some gay twink trying to get money from his sugar daddy or some young straight/bi woman trying to scam old rich guy.

I find that an interesting point.
What would you consider it?
I still consider it queerbaiting because they're still lying about being LGBT and then they get mad that it affects my mental health.
So I'm still friends with one of them - because he's a straight ally who happens to be gay-for-pay, and goes (financially) where the wind blows - (despite saying out his own mouth that he's open to experimenting with men).
sorry for the confusion! after i re-read the thread and saw your earlier post of how you define the term "queerbaiting," i deleted the definitioni copied from the web. but to answer your question, i would simply call it being "conned" or "scammed." as @Finaldestiny986 mentioned, women can use their sex appeal to take advantage of a shy introverted guy who's lonely and looking for love. being scammed has nothing to do with a gay or straight, imo.

but i suppose if someone used an important thing or aspect of my life to get close to me, get me like or trust them and then scammed me, it would be more upsetting as opposed to a random stranger. so if your gay identity is an important aspect of your life and someone used that deceive you, then i can understand how that would be upsetting. i can see how/why you call that queerbaiting.

you say this has happened to you several times. have you asked yourself what if anything you can do to prevent this from occurring again? you say it impacts your mental health. but then, why are you still friends with people who have done this to you?