Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Hi all,

I’m on a personal project to try and understand the life experiences of people different to myself. With everything happening in the world right now, I’ve recently come to a position where I’ve realised how privileged and lucky I really am. I’m aware of gender inequality in the world and how I’m privileged to be male, but I don’t fully understand (and probably never will 100% understand) what this privilege is and what women experience in their everyday life. However, I’m very interested in learning more for my own personal growth and to develop more empathy/sympathy for others.

What would you say are the major themes of gender inequality in today’s world? Also, do you know of any online resources that I can use to deepen my understanding of gender inequality and the experiences of women?

Gender inequality is rampant in the workplace, particularly in areas that are traditionally male-dominated. I've been to job interviews where the head of the program came out and announced to all the applicants in the room that if you were a woman, you might as well go home because you wouldn't be considered for the position. Another time I discovered that a man with equal qualifications but less seniority than me was being paid 20% more for doing exactly the same work. I've been criticized for looking tired at work...probably because I was up until 2 am doing my laundry while all the men had their wives doing it so they could get some sleep. I could go on and on about job discrimination.

ATC2599

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Gender inequality is rampant in the workplace, particularly in areas that are traditionally male-dominated. I've been to job interviews where the head of the program came out and announced to all the applicants in the room that if you were a woman, you might as well go home because you wouldn't be considered for the position. Another time I discovered that a man with equal qualifications but less seniority than me was being paid 20% more for doing exactly the same work. I've been criticized for looking tired at work...probably because I was up until 2 am doing my laundry while all the men had their wives doing it so they could get some sleep. I could go on and on about job discrimination.

Hi Seductress,

Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to hear about these experiences you had. Do you think we've made any progress in the area of gender inequality in the workplace? And would you say that these negative perceptions of women in the workplace are held by predominantly men or do you think society has somehow ingrained these perceptions into everyone regardless of gender?

You'd have to measure progress against a specific time in the past. Progress compared to 50 or 100 years ago? Yes. Compared to 20-30 years ago? I'm not so sure.

I think gender discrimination is practiced by both men and women, but is certainly not "ingrained" in everyone. My impression for much of my career was that men simply believed women shouldn't be allowed to work in certain fields or job descriptions, whereas women directed their biases at other women based on a more personal level, frequently jealousy. However, I've spoken to a disturbing number of younger (20's) women in the past decade who now seem to believe that certain jobs are not appropriate for women or that women shouldn't be working at all but should be raising children. I fear that some of the gains that we had made have been taken for granted and are being allowed to slip away.

Reactions: ATC2599

Serial Kisser

Legendary Member
Media
Sexuality
No Response
Hi all,

I’m on a personal project to try and understand the life experiences of people different to myself. With everything happening in the world right now, I’ve recently come to a position where I’ve realised how privileged and lucky I really am. I’m aware of gender inequality in the world and how I’m privileged to be male, but I don’t fully understand (and probably never will 100% understand) what this privilege is and what women experience in their everyday life. However, I’m very interested in learning more for my own personal growth and to develop more empathy/sympathy for others.

What would you say are the major themes of gender inequality in today’s world? Also, do you know of any online resources that I can use to deepen my understanding of gender inequality and the experiences of women?
Don't you think it's a little ironic, that you a male, are asking women for help in breaking down gender inequality? It's not a woman's responsibility to do that. You can handle it on your own.

ATC2599

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
Don't you think it's a little ironic, that you a male, are asking women for help in breaking down gender inequality? It's not a woman's responsibility to do that. You can handle it on your own.

Hi Serial Kisser,

Thanks for the reply. That’s fair enough. I just thought maybe I’d be able to gain some insight from asking a woman directly that I wouldn’t be able to get otherwise.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
For a fascinating view that goes beyond English speaking countries, the Quora space “Undermining the patriarchy” sheds light.

Our Women’s Issues forum does too. Start reading.

While I agree with SK’s view that it is a perfect illustration of privilege is for a man who doesn’t engage with the women of the boards ask us to do emotional and intellectual labor for him, a teeny bit of credit is due for trying, and reaching out to us.

We are, after all, the voice of reason here.

ATC2599

Superior Member
Verified
Gold
Media
Verification
View
Sexuality
100% Gay, 0% Straight
For a fascinating view that goes beyond English speaking countries, the Quora space “Undermining the patriarchy” sheds light.

Our Women’s Issues forum does too. Start reading.

While I agree with SK’s view that it is a perfect illustration of privilege is for a man who doesn’t engage with the women of the boards ask us to do emotional and intellectual labor for him, a teeny bit of credit is due for trying, and reaching out to us.

We are, after all, the voice of reason here.

Thank you Scarletbegonia for pointing out all the resources available to me. I also appreciate the credit you're giving, but yes I do feel quite embarrassed about having started this thread after what was pointed out to me by Serial Kisser.

Scarletbegonia

Worshipped Member
Gold
Platinum Gold
Media
Sexuality
Asexual
Yes, that's a good point to raise, thank you. It is quite a complex issue it seems.
Think about how gay men have historically been treated by the over culture.
Think how gay men were denigrated with comparisons to women..

It is a cesspool. Wear your hip waders.

Reactions: ATC2599